Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They loved Caldwell’s ability to connect with players and his plan for Fields yesterday too. Next we gonna hear that George would be fine with Eberflus watching his great grandkids on a Saturday night lol? 

Hahaha very possibly...

I think what this really says and what we have known all along is there is no knock it out the park hire this year...all these guys have strengths and weaknesses and it is now just down to finding the best fit...all three of these guys are close.

31 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Hahaha very possibly...

I think what this really says and what we have known all along is there is no knock it out the park hire this year...all these guys have strengths and weaknesses and it is now just down to finding the best fit...all three of these guys are close.

Something just hit me when I said that...what if because there is no knockout candidate it makes Caldwell the perfect candidate? You bring him in as a safe pair of hands for 2 or 3 seasons to help get some guys like Pep Hamilton on staff and you then groom him to take over in a few years if he works well with Fields or you then jump back in to a cycle with stronger candidates and cherry pick who you want...so say for example Mike Kafka goes somewhere else as OC for the next few seasons then you jump in and take him...Caldwell can claim retirement with a nice handshake and we move on...convoluted sure...just could be an option for a young GM. 

Adam Jahns

@adamjahns

25m

George McCaskey, Ted Phillips and Bill Polian weren't involved in the Bears' head-coaching interviews today at Halas Hall. So here's looking at you Ryan Poles. My story on the three finalists as this process seemingly nears its conclusion:

Is this finally an ownership that is...dare I say...learning?

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Something just hit me when I said that...what if because there is no knockout candidate it makes Caldwell the perfect candidate? You bring him in as a safe pair of hands for 2 or 3 seasons to help get some guys like Pep Hamilton on staff and you then groom him to take over in a few years if he works well with Fields or you then jump back in to a cycle with stronger candidates and cherry pick who you want...so say for example Mike Kafka goes somewhere else as OC for the next few seasons then you jump in and take him...Caldwell can claim retirement with a nice handshake and we move on...convoluted sure...just could be an option for a young GM. 

If Caldwell is only looking to be HC for 2-3 years then I don’t want to hire him in that role if I’m Poles. As an OC? Maybe, if I truly like and believe in his Fields plan because that window gets us to decision time on a 2nd deal for Fields at least. But I don’t want to bring in the top guy on my team as a new GM knowing I already need to be worrying about replacing him sooner than later, successful or not. That’s going to create unnecessarily discord and, if it’s known, a lame duck situation in the not so distant future. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

If Caldwell is only looking to be HC for 2-3 years then I don’t want to hire him in that role if I’m Poles. As an OC? Maybe, if I truly like and believe in his Fields plan because that window gets us to decision time on a 2nd deal for Fields at least. But I don’t want to bring in the top guy on my team as a new GM knowing I already need to be worrying about replacing him sooner than later, successful or not. That’s going to create unnecessarily discord and, if it’s known, a lame duck situation in the not so distant future. 

I think it is the only plan if Caldwell gets the HC job...when he is 70-71 years old I just don't see him still being an HC given that age and his health concerns...still don't think it will be him but wouldn't be mad with any of the three.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think of we really want Quinn we can't let him out of Chicago...have to go about this the same way as Poles.

Miami-Daboll

Denver-Hackett

LV-? Mayo

NYG-Frazier or Flores

Hou-Gannon

Min-?

Jax-Leftwich

NO-Allen

Those have to be the betting favorites in those other spots?

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Miami-Daboll

Denver-Hackett

LV-? Mayo

NYG-Frazier or Flores

Hou-Gannon

Min-?

Jax-Leftwich

NO-Allen

Those have to be the betting favorites in those other spots?

Vegas is the real wildcard for me...I think Minnesota might go with O'Connell or Ryans...the rest I would agree with but if Quinn gets out of Chicago he goes back to the top of the Giants list IMO.

Edited by Madmike90

In The Athletic’s “NFL 40 Under 40” story from August, Chiefs GM Brent Veach said of Poles, “In our line of work, it’s really important that we turn over every stone, and Ryan is outstanding when it comes to research and details. He loves the game; you can tell by his attitude and the way he grinds. Beyond that, he’s a tremendous talent evaluator and plays a key role in our personnel department. He’s had quite an impact in building our roster.”

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Eugene Frenette

@GeneFrenette

7m

It's not over yet. #Jaguars will have a second interview Thursday with Green Bay Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett, per NFL source.

Surprised Denver let him out of there after the private jet was sent.

The concern seems to be that Leftwich doesn’t have a very impressive coaching staff.

Suck, I think he will be a good coach.

Anyone else starting to get a bit concerned about these HC candidates overall? Every team seems happy for guys to go and take interviews everywhere else right now...would love to see us being decisive when we know our guy is our guy and let everyone else seemingly pass up locking in hires.