Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why are there already finalists when Poles was just hired?

Shouldn't he need a bit of time? Or does he just want to go with Bears finalists?

What makes you think during the GM interviews candidates weren't asked who they would bring in as head coach?

I remember when Atlanta was killing the Bears and everyone was freaking out (game where MT got benched for Foles).   I said remember who we are playing - Atlanta was known for surrendering huge leads.   I think they had just blown a lead to Dallas.  

Bears came back and won.

Makes me not really excited for Quinn.   They played some of worst defense I have ever seen that year.  That was on Quinn's watch.

Now Quinn just did a remarkable turn around for Cowboys D.   What would we be getting in Quinn?  Seems he is a really good DC and a sub par HC.

I think there are 6 or so really good DCs you can hire.   I would be looking for best offensive mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G08 said:

What makes you think during the GM interviews candidates weren't asked who they would bring in as head coach?

They all have to bring in a list of guys they like.    

But now that you are actually a GM and not a candidate for a GM job you can call someone up who intrigues you and talk to him in depth.   Might be you find out something you didn't know.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

They all have to bring in a list of guys they like.    

But now that you are actually a GM and not a candidate for a GM job you can call someone up who intrigues you and talk to him in depth.   Might be you find out something you didn't know.

That's now what I asked though. They all bring in a list, yes, but how do you know that list wasn't discussed during the GM interview process?

How do you know Dan Quinn and/or Matt Eberflus were not his guy?

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's now what I asked though. They all bring in a list, yes, but how do you know that list wasn't discussed during the GM interview process?

Maybe they were. 

My point is your ready list for your interview for the GM job may be different from guys you have actually had an in depth conversation/interview with.

I mean how many guys did he actually interview to create his ready list?  How informal or formal were those interviews?

Now you can do a formal interview as the official GM of the Bears and it can be as long as you want it - it is different from being candidate Poles calling a dude and asking him questions or just knowing his resume.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think that we as fans are making a lot of assumptions at this point.  Would it be prudent that if a GM candidate is interviewing for a job that he would not have already had a list of coaching candidates ready?  I think so.  That would seem to me, especially at this level, that when you are interviewing for a position like this you would have to bring that information with you and should have had some idea of which direction you want to go.  You also have to understand that their is a very finite list of candidates with multiple teams vying for the same candidates.  

We can try to assume or speculate what that process looks like but we really don't have an idea. We know what our vision of what should happen would be but no idea of what the McCaskeys or Poles vision are.  Everything else is speculative at best.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, G08 said:

They may well be, but just for the sake of prudence you’d think Poles would want to at least watch the taped interviews of the other 10ish candidates to see if anyone else there intrigues him too. He’s only been on the job like 24 hours and has been prepping for or conducting the 3 interviews already scheduled so I’m sure he hasn’t been able to do much of that yet at all. He already knows a few he likes - good - but he also doesn’t yet know that he won’t like some of those other guys just as much. Considering what hangs in the balance for him I would just expect more diligence there than a hire tonight would suggest. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

They may well be, but just for the sake of prudence you’d think Poles would want to at least watch the taped interviews of the other 10ish candidates to see if anyone else there intrigues him too. He’s only been on the job like 24 hours and has been prepping for or conducting the 3 interviews already scheduled so I’m sure he hasn’t been able to do much of that yet at all. He already knows a few he likes - good - but he also doesn’t yet know that he won’t like some of those other guys just as much. Considering what hangs in the balance for him I would just expect more diligence there than a hire tonight would suggest. 

Again, had we fired Pace once we were eliminated and hired Poles 2 weeks ago none of that would be a concern because he would have been in the room from the beginning. Sigh. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yes.  My thoughts too. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  My thoughts too. 

Right? And furthermore, after George made such a huge push about his process you’d think that even if he lets Poles make the hire (as he should) he’d strongly encourage him to look at the full gamut of candidates. “We’ve compiled as much info as we can for you to make the most informed choice you can, and given you our recommendations. Take a look, see if you like anyone else, and go get ‘em.” Poles is a scout - he’s gonna want to make his own decision. You don’t make a recommendation on a draft pick watching just a few guys play. Can’t imagine he’d do so with a HC hire either. 

• Like 1