Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's what I was thinking as well...

HC: Eberflus

OC: Caldwell

QB: Pep Hamilton (welcome back!)

Plan would be for Hamilton to grow in this offense with Fields and if/when Caldwell decides to hang 'em up, Hamilton would slide into the role seamlessly.

That would be pretty awesome if we could make it happen.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I agree he should line it up with others but I doubt it happens...I think it will be one of these three guys...

Pep would be good for Fields and did really will with Davis Mills this season...have to wonder who his DC would be as well?...maybe Teryl Austin?...

That said I still think he is #3 on that list.

Pep was QB coach with Herbert in 2020 too.

Why do you think Caldwell is 3 of 3 on the current list? Anything more than gut feeling? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pep was QB coach with Herbert in 2020 too.

Why do you think Caldwell is 3 of 3 on the current list? Anything more than gut feeling? 

I just get the impression they think Quinn & Eberflus offer more in terms of the overall culture...I think they know Caldwell will be a safe pair of hands for a few years but they your back in the hiring cycle and after the failure that was Pace & Fox I don't think they do that again...I think they will float the idea to Caldwell of coming in as a OC or even an assistant HC but if he turns that down I expect Mike Kafka to be the OC pretty quickly with one of the two defensive guys in charge.

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Apparently reports of leftwich to the jags was a bit premature.

So much speculation with everyone trying to be out front on these. Daboll was assumed as good as hired by all the big media players when Schoen went to NY on Saturday then Daboll interviewed in person on Sunday. It’s Wednesday now and they’re still lining up candidates for 2nd interviews. I’d be pretty surprised if our 2nd round of HC interviews ends up with just these 3 if Poles actually has autonomy over the hire, unless he told the brass before he was hired that these 3 and only these 3 were guys in consideration for him. That seems highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I just get the impression they think Quinn & Eberflus offer more in terms of the overall culture...I think they know Caldwell will be a safe pair of hands for a few years but they your back in the hiring cycle and after the failure that was Pace & Fox I don't think they do that again...I think they will float the idea to Caldwell of coming in as a OC or even an assistant HC but if he turns that down I expect Mike Kafka to be the OC pretty quickly with one of the two defensive guys in charge.

That sounds a lot more “hire the guys I know” than “hire the best candidates” than I’d like, and feels very corporate America “internal applicants only”-ish to me where you fill the opening quickly but maybe miss out on the best candidate(s). They’ve been super thorough all along here, and it would surprise me if they deviate from that at the very end. Especially since Poles wasn’t even here for the first round of interviews. 

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I like Kafka in theory but it's the same old **** with no playcalling experience for him.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

That sounds a lot more “hire the guys I know” than “hire the best candidates” than I’d like, and feels very corporate America “internal applicants only”-ish to me where you fill the opening quickly but maybe miss out on the best candidate(s). They’ve been super thorough all along here, and it would surprise me if they deviate from that at the very end. Especially since Poles wasn’t even here for the first round of interviews. 

Fair but I'm of the opinion that while the Bears were doing their initial round of interviews, they asked who the candidate would like or consider as head coach. Once they narrowed down their list (maybe multiple GM candidates listed the same  coaches?) they started to ramp up interviewing said coaches.

Regardless, we know this is Ryan Poles' show and it'll be his call at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think to the wider media whoever of these three we hire will be "old boys club" you hire Caldwell it was Polian...you hire Eberflus it was probably still Polian and because Poles and he share the same agent...you hire Quinn and it will be Poles already had his mind made up...you can't win that argument sometime...

All Poles needs to do is hire the guy who gives us the best chance of success...nothing else matters.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like Kafka in theory but it's the same old **** with no playcalling experience for him.

No doubt that is the risk...it's different to Nagy though for the simple fact of him trying to become a full time play caller and a HC at the same time...Kafka would only need to learn how to call plays...no one gets experience until they get exposure to that.

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Why do you think Kafka is the guy for us at OC if Quinn or Eberflus comes in as HC?  Kafka sounds like he has potential but he could be another Matt Nagy for all we know.  Reid protégé with no play calling experience...

Talk is that Mike McDaniel of the 49ers could actually be Quinn's guy for us at OC due to his connection to Shanahan and both having been on Quinn's Falcons staff.  Ben Albright floated this out so it's not just me speculating.

If so then I would be real excited about Quinn

Edited by topwop1