Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I listened to a bunch of interviews by KC reporters on Poles.  One guy says he talked to him all the time.  

Most interesting tidbits that jumped out to me that didn’t get explored by hosts:

Andy Reid is in charge in KC and has ultimate final say in all things.  So if we take credit from KC OCs, than we also have to take credit from the GMs and staff.  Probably to a lesser extent to be fair.  

Poles is a Reid disciple and a big thing for Reid and Poles is second chances.  That means taking guys with character concerns.  Which Bears haven’t done under George.  

Poles talks all time about Kelce.  Kelce is a second chance guy.  He got kicked off his college team.  Tyreek is a arguably third chance guy and KC wins nothing big without him.   Same with Kelce.  And so on, other KC and Philly players too.  Dorsey took that same attitude to Browns.

That would be a major philosophic change for Bears.  I wonder if Poles has true freedom to choose his guys in that sense.  I hope he gets asked about it.  I am always a little ahead of media.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I listened to a bunch of interviews by KC reporters on Poles.  One guy says he talked to him all the time.  

Most interesting tidbits that jumped out to me that didn’t get explored by hosts:

Andy Reid is in charge in KC and has ultimate final say in all things.  So if we take credit from KC OCs, than we also have to take credit from the GMs and staff.  Probably to a lesser extent to be fair.  

Poles is a Reid disciple and a big thing for Reid and Poles is second chances.  That means taking guys with character concerns.  Which Bears haven’t done under George.  

Poles talks all time about Kelce.  Kelce is a second chance guy.  He got kicked off his college team.  Tyreek is a arguably third chance guy and KC wins nothing big without him.   Same with Kelce.  And so on, other KC and Philly players too.  Dorsey took that same attitude to Browns.

That would be a major philosophic change for Bears.  I wonder if Poles has true freedom to choose his guys in that sense.  I hope he gets asked about it.  I am always a little ahead of media.

Its a common sense approach too. Hill was a dynamic athlete but even with all his ability he wasn't taken until the fifth (I think). A fifth round pick failing or getting kicked off the team isn't something that would challenge a GM's employment. Taking Hill in the top 2-3 rounds would absolutely have caused a much bigger fire though.

And really it is too easy for GMs to smooth these things over. "We have had a lot of direct dialog and _____________ understands and regrets the poor decisions he made, he knows he is on a last chance to provide a great life for his family through his football ability and has an opportunity to benefit not only him but those seeking second chances like him. We are all human and all make mistakes, some more egregious than others but we all make them. We are hoping ______________ can prove that second chances can be earned and become a role model for youths who might not have lived perfect lives or struggled with disadvantages due to the environment around them. Just like _______________ we hope they can see their mistakes and grow from them to be better and help other disadvantaged youths grow as well."

That took like 60 seconds to put together. Any PR group could do better and it quells a lot of the backlash, and to be honest the GMs know if they win then the backlash goes away. Don't exactly hear the ghosts of Aaron Hernandez haunting Belichick and it is a small group of things that can be argued to be worse than Hernandez's actions.

• Like 1

Regarding Travis Kelce... he got kicked off the team for failing multiple drug tests for marijuana (which is now legal in some states). Big whoop.

They took a swing on Kareem Hunt as well, a player I would have loved to have had on the Bears.

Tyreek Hill is the engine that makes the Chiefs go.

Look, this is football. If you are looking for choir boys with impeccable character, I'm willing to bet that you'll lose more games than you will win. Sometimes you need an elite talent that's a little rough around the edges (ideally they'd be the perfect human being, but that doesn't exist).

I sincerely hope Ryan Poles dials the needle more toward "elite ceiling" and further away from "elite character". If he finds players where those two characteristics intersect, by all means draft them all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It will be interesting to see how many strikes Poles is allowed before George puts a stop to this philosophy.

Remember when Pace took a chance on Ray McDonald in his 1st offseason as GM? George wasn't happy when things went South.

Edited by abstract_thought

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Regarding Travis Kelce... he got kicked off the team for failing multiple drug tests for marijuana (which is now legal in some states). Big whoop.

They took a swing on Kareem Hunt as well, a player I would have loved to have had on the Bears.

Tyreek Hill is the engine that makes the Chiefs go.

Look, this is football. If you are looking for choir boys with impeccable character, I'm willing to bet that you'll lose more games than you will win. Sometimes you need an elite talent that's a little rough around the edges (ideally they'd be the perfect human being, but that doesn't exist).

I sincerely hope Ryan Poles dials the needle more toward "elite ceiling" and further away from "elite character". If he finds players where those two characteristics intersect, by all means draft them all.

This is where Ryan Pace deserves some credit for building a pretty solid roster top to bottom...considering what Pace came in to he found some rock solid pieces and helped turn us back into a competent football team...what he didn't do...and what will be key for Poles when drafting is find enough elite difference makes...take a few swings on elite athletes who could become stars with proper coaching and hopefully land on a few difference makers...if he can do that then we still ha e a solid enough base to work off of.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

It will be interesting to see how many strikes Poles is allowed before George puts a stop to this philosophy. Remember when Pace took a chance on Ray McDonald in his 1st offseason as GM? George wasn't happy when things went South.

George needs to be the one to learn from that...hopefully with the news Poles demanded full control on certain things George will step back and let Poles do the job he was hired for.

35 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

It will be interesting to see how many strikes Poles is allowed before George puts a stop to this philosophy.

Remember when Pace took a chance on Ray McDonald in his 1st offseason as GM? George wasn't happy when things went South.

My answer to that is ask the average Bears fan if he remembers Ray McDonald. 

Then ask him if he knows who Kelce and Tyreek Hill are.  

• Like 1

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

39m

Jim Caldwell’s interview w/the #Bears went “very well,” says a source close to the situation. I’m told the former #Lions/#Colts HC loves Justin Fields and impressed Chicago by laying out an entirely new offense that would highlight Fields’ extensive skill set.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Jordan Schultz

@Schultz_Report

39m

Jim Caldwell’s interview w/the #Bears went “very well,” says a source close to the situation. I’m told the former #Lions/#Colts HC loves Justin Fields and impressed Chicago by laying out an entirely new offense that would highlight Fields’ extensive skill set.

Dammit - beat me by seconds lol

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Good. But also, if you’re an offensive backgrounded coach and don’t do this then you shouldn’t be a real candidate.

Caldwell may also be making his case to be our OC should we go the route of one of the defensive-minded HCs. 

I would be all over Caldwell as an OC or even better a QB coach...just not as an HC...

Plenty of respect for him though and think if anything he is a bit underrated...if he was 10 years younger? Probably be real close to this HC role.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I would be all over Caldwell as an OC or even better a QB coach...just not as an HC...

Plenty of respect for him though and think if anything he is a bit underrated...if he was 10 years younger? Probably be real close to this HC role.

My preference would be him not being our HC, but I don’t HATE it. He’s checks all the “leader of men” boxes and might bring Pep Hamilton as OC which I would love for Fields. It would be prudent for Poles though IMO to hear how Caldwell’s Fields plan compares with those for other candidates. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

My preference would be him not being our HC, but I don’t HATE it. He’s checks all the “leader of men” boxes and might bring Pep Hamilton as OC which I would love for Fields. It would be prudent for Poles though IMO to hear how Caldwell’s Fields plan compares with those for other candidates. 

I agree he should line it up with others but I doubt it happens...I think it will be one of these three guys...

Pep would be good for Fields and did really will with Davis Mills this season...have to wonder who his DC would be as well?...maybe Teryl Austin?...

That said I still think he is #3 on that list.

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good. But also, if you’re an offensive backgrounded coach and don’t do this then you shouldn’t be a real candidate.

Caldwell may also be making his case to be our OC should we go the route of one of the defensive-minded HCs. 

That's what I was thinking as well...

HC: Eberflus

OC: Caldwell

QB: Pep Hamilton (welcome back!)

Plan would be for Hamilton to grow in this offense with Fields and if/when Caldwell decides to hang 'em up, Hamilton would slide into the role seamlessly.

• Like 1