Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Cut out the BS.....No it isn't lol. Not even close.

Being an assistant HC in the same profession while competing with 31 of the best teams in the world with the best players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Coaching in Canada against 6 teams with couple of has-beens and kids who couldn't hack it.

There's a reason nobody is knocking on their doors looking for hires.

And there is a reason AHC isn't thrown around as a massive credential when looking for a head coach. If it were you would have said been adamant on your specific wants when you were asked by me a good while back. You said it was a weak class and you'd be complaining regardless of who was hired. Lol

Not once did you ever say "I dont want a retread or new coach, I want an Assistant Head Coach to be the guy we get."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Not once did you ever say "I dont want a retread or new coach, I want an Assistant Head Coach to be the guy we get."

Wait, what? What are you talking about? I'm been talking about the McCaskey's being cheap with their HCs for ages.  I said it when we hired Nagy and I said again back in September.

I've also been very clear that this class is weak since I didn't see anyone that stood out.

Nagy needs to be fired and I'm glad to hear the McCaskey's are holding him responsible but I can't even get excited about it because the McCaskey's will just turn around and hire another cheap inexperienced coach or a retread at the end of his career to be the HC because it's cheaper.

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Wait, what? What are you talking about? I'm been talking about the McCaskey's being cheap with their HCs for ages.  I said it when we hired Nagy and I said again back in September.

I've also been very clear that this class is weak since I didn't see anyone that stood out.

So for you, if the McCaskeys didn't sell the team you wouldn't be satisfied no matter what? Who would you have preferred? These are honest questions.

3 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

So for you, if the McCaskeys didn't sell the team you wouldn't be satisfied no matter what? Who would you have preferred? These are honest questions.

Not this year because again I didn't see anyone available who I thought would be a good HC. On any other given year I might have a different opinion based on who is available but I would still be reluctant on the Mccaskey's hiring the right guy regardless. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not this year because again I didn't see anyone available who I thought would be a good HC. On any other given year I might have a different opinion based on who is available but I would still be reluctant on the Mccaskey's hiring the right guy regardless. 

So, if you didn't really see anyone that you like then are you just being facetious? I ask because it doesn't appear that you have a dog in the fight but you are being pretty critical about the hires. They had to hire somebody as waiting until next year was not an option.

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

So, if you didn't really see anyone that you like then are you just being facetious? I ask because it doesn't appear that you have a dog in the fight but you are being pretty critical about the hires. They had to hire somebody as waiting until next year was not an option.

Should've kept Nagy!

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

Fields is the best chance that we have at ending this 100 year death run at QB and hiring a defensive minded coach in 2022 is a bassawkwards approach.  No, there wasn't any HCs that I liked but I  could've atleast accepted one who was offensive minded one to help develop Fields.

• Like 1

Marinelli was also asked if he would join Eberflus' staff. He didn't shoot it down but also said he has a good friend in Rich Bisaccia with LV & is under contract there right now. Complete speculation on my part but I'd take Marinelli at DLC & Bisaccia at STC. #Bears

If we could add both these guys they would be excellent pickups...I would give Bisaccia the AHC title right away...he deserved that LV job.

25 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Fields is the best chance that we have at ending this 100 year death run at QB and hiring a defensive minded coach in 2022 is a bassawkwards approach.  No, there wasn't any HCs that I liked but I  could've atleast accepted one who was offensive minded one to help develop Fields.

Understood.  As would I.  But as you have pointed out Bears fans tend to be extreme in their emotions as to comes to any hires, draft picks, and FA acquisitions.  Shouldn't we wait and see:

1. What does the rest of the staff look like.

2. Can they develop a quarterback?

Seems more prudent to see how it plays out at this point before claiming it was a successful hire or failure.  None of us knows the answer to that question as of yet.  There have been defensive HCs that have had good offenses.  Just because it hasn't happened here doesn't mean that it can't.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 2

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog

There are.

Quote Tweet

Adam Caplan

@caplannfl

· 21m

My understanding is that while Patullo is on his list for OC, there are other candidates for that role.

Based on how detailed his plan for Fields was in his interview, Das Flus should absolutely speak to Jim Caldwell about running his offense.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:
Bears defense vs. Colts defense 2021:

Cover 2 %: - Bears: 8.7% (19th) - Colts: 15.2% (9th) Mostly zone concepts for both otherwise, similar rates.

4-3 %: - Bears: 3.2% (20th) - Colts: 21.4% (8th)

Colts in nickel (4-2-5) at second-highest rate in NFL (77.2%)

FWIW

Colts defense before and after Matt(*): 

2016:  27th overall (+13.0%) (27th easiest schedule)
2017:  27th overall (+9.3%) (30th easiest)

*2018:  11th overall (-3.5%) (32nd easiest)
*2019:  19th overall (+3.0%) (19th easiest)
*2020: 7th overall (-9.5%) (15th easiest)
*2021:  8th overall (-5.0%)
(21st easiest)

Red zone defense:
2021: 27th overall, 30th in pass, 1st in run, 21st inside the 10
2020: 9th overall, 7th in pass, 25th in run, 10th inside the 10
2019: 15th overall, 19th in pass, 6th in run, 5th inside the 10
2018: 15th overall, 23rd in pass, 6th in run, 26th inside the 10

Quarter splits by year, left to right starting from 2021 to 2018
1Q: 16th,  20th,  25th,  17th
2Q: 6th,  18th,  6th,  19th
3Q: 11th,  4th,  32nd,  18th
4Q/OT: 14th,  5th, 14th,  4th

All 2H plays within 1 possession: 16th, 5th, 19th, 10th

Overall, you can see the impact and growth he had on defense going from 27th to a consistent 7 and 8 for 2 consecutive seasons with an old Rivers and Wentz at QB.

The RZ and Q splits really stick out though with kind of a mixed bag. Especially in the 1Q. it seems like his defenses start out slow and they allow offenses to move the ball easily in the 1st but generally pick it up in the 2nd and 3rd. This means we need an offense that is able to play from behind (I know, shocker right?). 

This checks out in raw stats too. The Colts defense allowed 22 total TDs from 2018-2021, which is 10th most in the league (same as Bears), and tied 6th highest passing YPA with 7.3. But they also only allowed 12 rushing TDs over the same span, which isn't too bad, tied with 14th lowest. Bears have the lowest with only 6.

https://stathead.com/tiny/2Wwc1

I was gonna post the full splits between each down and distance but I got lazy. The good news is, the Bears defense finished 31st in 3rd/4th and long, which was 67.4% worse than the league average and the worst since 2016, and the Colts finished 11th last season under Eber, which was 29.5% better than league average. So hopefully that carries over.