Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I have been pushing for Bisaccia since the idea of Kellen Moore becoming the HC came up...not just because he is an excellent ST coach but he will be an outstanding sounding board for a first time HC...

Now use this to get Greg Olson and bring Tom Cable along to coach the OL...another former HC and great leader.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/bears-matt-eberflus-background-hire-chicago

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy, and that’s exactly who the Bears needed to hire

Imagine, for a minute, if the Bears had hired Kellen Moore. Or Brian Daboll. Or any of the other up-and-coming offensive coordinators. Yes, it would’ve been a sexier move and the talking points would’ve been great because of the knee-jerk reaction it creates about Fields’ growth. But the Bears have been there, done that.

Prior to Fields, the Bears’ biggest investment in a quarterback (in team history) was Trubisky. His first season in the league, 2017, was a promising one under coach John Fox but Chicago’s underwhelming finish that year led to a coaching change. That year, the Bears did exactly what fans wanted them to do this year: they hired Nagy with the expectation he’d rejuvenate the offense and bring the best out of Trubisky. It failed… miserably. And while it’s entirely possible that Moore or Daboll will be successful head coaches, it’s also within a range of outcomes that they’ll be Nagy, part two. The Bears can’t afford that to happen; not now, not with Fields.

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy. His success or failure won’t be measured by Fields’. It’ll be measured by wins. Nagy’s inability to develop Trubisky started his slippery slope to the unemployment line, and had any of the offensive-minded candidates struggled in their effort to develop Fields next year, the narrative around the Bears would get really bad, really fast.

Now, the Bears can do things the old-fashioned way. They have a quality head coach. They’ll hire a quality staff on offense. They’ll land fantastic coaches on defense. And at the end of it all, they’ll have a well-rounded coaching staff that’s better equipped to develop Fields and bring wins back to Chicago.

I feel as if this is a really well-balanced take and brings up an interesting point…does a HC who has to run the entire team really help Fields more than a quality OC or even better QB coach whose sole focus can be dedicated to his development? Maybe having a defensive HC who will worry about everything else gives Fields more time with a coach 1 on 1 who can then get him to where he needs to be…just need to stick the landing on both the OC & QBC.

• Like 2

The more I think about the OC hire the less I want someone from the Shanahan tree…Flus is coming from the Colts who are 37-28 with a great rushing attack and poor QB play…he has seen the Titans up close for the last 4 years and they are 41-24 with a great rushing attack and average QB play…I would like to see the same kind of principles here in terms of building a big powerful OL with a quality rushing attack…beat teams down as the games goes on…be more physical up front than anyone else…difference here would be we have a true game changing athlete in Fields who can also be part of that rushing attack…and an extremely high upside QB in Field who when given the opportunity to throw the ball deep is really accurate and can succeed off of play action…give me someone from the Chiefs/Indy/Eagles tree

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/bears-matt-eberflus-background-hire-chicago

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy, and that’s exactly who the Bears needed to hire

Imagine, for a minute, if the Bears had hired Kellen Moore. Or Brian Daboll. Or any of the other up-and-coming offensive coordinators. Yes, it would’ve been a sexier move and the talking points would’ve been great because of the knee-jerk reaction it creates about Fields’ growth. But the Bears have been there, done that.

Prior to Fields, the Bears’ biggest investment in a quarterback (in team history) was Trubisky. His first season in the league, 2017, was a promising one under coach John Fox but Chicago’s underwhelming finish that year led to a coaching change. That year, the Bears did exactly what fans wanted them to do this year: they hired Nagy with the expectation he’d rejuvenate the offense and bring the best out of Trubisky. It failed… miserably. And while it’s entirely possible that Moore or Daboll will be successful head coaches, it’s also within a range of outcomes that they’ll be Nagy, part two. The Bears can’t afford that to happen; not now, not with Fields.

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy. His success or failure won’t be measured by Fields’. It’ll be measured by wins. Nagy’s inability to develop Trubisky started his slippery slope to the unemployment line, and had any of the offensive-minded candidates struggled in their effort to develop Fields next year, the narrative around the Bears would get really bad, really fast.

Now, the Bears can do things the old-fashioned way. They have a quality head coach. They’ll hire a quality staff on offense. They’ll land fantastic coaches on defense. And at the end of it all, they’ll have a well-rounded coaching staff that’s better equipped to develop Fields and bring wins back to Chicago.

I feel as if this is a really well-balanced take and brings up an interesting point…does a HC who has to run the entire team really help Fields more than a quality OC or even better QB coach whose sole focus can be dedicated to his development? Maybe having a defensive HC who will worry about everything else gives Fields more time with a coach 1 on 1 who can then get him to where he needs to be…just need to stick the landing on both the OC & QBC.

Fields' development and wins are completely tied together for the next 3-4 years so this is the one statement I think is dumb. Lol

This is a lot of the same things I heard with Fox, just that Eberflus is younger and not looking to have to be part of the same level rebuild. 

Culture needs improved (not top the extent of Emery and Trestman obviously), standards need raised across the board, and coaches need to do better at developing talent. That would have beem the same and the expectation regardless of Eberflus, Daboll, Leftwich, Moore, or whoever. 

Even if the HC was an offensive guy the OC and QB coach could still focus on Fields. If we did then the media could (and would likely) spin it that the HC would be implementing the offense in its entirety so the OC and QB could have even more time to focus on Fields' development. 

End of the day if the staff develops Fields to a top 10 QB then Eberflus likely gets a 10+ year career as the HC of the Bears because they'll win a lot of games. If Fields flops miserably then Poles and Eberflus deserve the same reaming Pace and Nagy got and should be replaced. 

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Fields' development and wins are completely tied together for the next 3-4 years so this is the one statement I think is dumb. Lol

This is a lot of the same things I heard with Fox, just that Eberflus is younger and not looking to have to be part of the same level rebuild. 

Culture needs improved (not top the extent of Emery and Trestman obviously), standards need raised across the board, and coaches need to do better at developing talent. That would have beem the same and the expectation regardless of Eberflus, Daboll, Leftwich, Moore, or whoever. 

Even if the HC was an offensive guy the OC and QB coach could still focus on Fields. If we did then the media could (and would likely) spin it that the HC would be implementing the offense in its entirety so the OC and QB could have even more time to focus on Fields' development. 

End of the day if the staff develops Fields to a top 10 QB then Eberflus likely gets a 10+ year career as the HC of the Bears because they'll win a lot of games. If Fields flops miserably then Poles and Eberflus deserve the same reaming Pace and Nagy got and should be replaced. 

I think that is the point right there...you don't need your HC alone to develop a QB...a lot of the time the talent is already there and these guys need reps more than complete rebuilds through coaching...it takes a staff to develop the QB...would Nagy have done better with Mitch if he was just his coach and not worrying about all other aspects of the team? It's a question that is worth asking.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I think about the OC hire the less I want someone from the Shanahan tree…Flus is coming from the Colts who are 37-28 with a great rushing attack and poor QB play…he has seen the Titans up close for the last 4 years and they are 41-24 with a great rushing attack and average QB play…I would like to see the same kind of principles here in terms of building a big powerful OL with a quality rushing attack…beat teams down as the games goes on…be more physical up front than anyone else…difference here would be we have a true game changing athlete in Fields who can also be part of that rushing attack…and an extremely high upside QB in Field who when given the opportunity to throw the ball deep is really accurate and can succeed off of play action…give me someone from the Chiefs/Indy/Eagles tree

FWIW the 2020 versions of the Colts and Titans offenses were significant vertical passing attacks. Both Rivers and Tannehill were top 10 in yards/attempt, and much of that was PA based because they had a strong running game. Our run game is already pretty good and in theory should improve at least somewhat with OL improvements and a non-Nagy scheme. Fields being 2020 Tannehill (65% comp., 3819 yds, 33/7 TD/INT) with a bit more running in year 2 would be the best QB season in Bears history. DBB’s suggestion of Pedersen makes sense too. Year 2 Wentz was going to be MVP pre-injury.

We don’t need a coach to make Fields good. What we need is a competent and malleable play caller who will set Fields up to succeed with the natural ability he already has while helping him grow forward from there. I think there are a lot of ways we can go and achieve that. 

• Like 2

More on Cunningham in my Future GM column (https://si.com/nfl/2021/12/31/future-general-managers-week-17-preview), but this is great news for Bears fans. Ozzie Newsome entrusted the Southeast region (and Alabama) to him as a young scout, and he steadily rose through the ranks in Baltimore, then Philly. Good start for Poles.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Just look at how many Colts are around the ball on these turnovers...I can't wait to watch our D fly around like this again.

The defense is going to be top 5 next year. We have the talent and just need 1-2 more pieces. 

Ian Cunningham will travel to Chicago later today, and be there late afternoon/early evening. Expectation is the job he'll interview for is to be Bears GM Ryan Poles' No. 2—with the title likely being assistant GM. The Eagles DPP is among the NFL's most respected young execs.
Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 2