Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/bears-matt-eberflus-background-hire-chicago

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy, and that’s exactly who the Bears needed to hire

Imagine, for a minute, if the Bears had hired Kellen Moore. Or Brian Daboll. Or any of the other up-and-coming offensive coordinators. Yes, it would’ve been a sexier move and the talking points would’ve been great because of the knee-jerk reaction it creates about Fields’ growth. But the Bears have been there, done that.

Prior to Fields, the Bears’ biggest investment in a quarterback (in team history) was Trubisky. His first season in the league, 2017, was a promising one under coach John Fox but Chicago’s underwhelming finish that year led to a coaching change. That year, the Bears did exactly what fans wanted them to do this year: they hired Nagy with the expectation he’d rejuvenate the offense and bring the best out of Trubisky. It failed… miserably. And while it’s entirely possible that Moore or Daboll will be successful head coaches, it’s also within a range of outcomes that they’ll be Nagy, part two. The Bears can’t afford that to happen; not now, not with Fields.

Eberflus is the anti-Nagy. His success or failure won’t be measured by Fields’. It’ll be measured by wins. Nagy’s inability to develop Trubisky started his slippery slope to the unemployment line, and had any of the offensive-minded candidates struggled in their effort to develop Fields next year, the narrative around the Bears would get really bad, really fast.

Now, the Bears can do things the old-fashioned way. They have a quality head coach. They’ll hire a quality staff on offense. They’ll land fantastic coaches on defense. And at the end of it all, they’ll have a well-rounded coaching staff that’s better equipped to develop Fields and bring wins back to Chicago.

I feel as if this is a really well-balanced take and brings up an interesting point…does a HC who has to run the entire team really help Fields more than a quality OC or even better QB coach whose sole focus can be dedicated to his development? Maybe having a defensive HC who will worry about everything else gives Fields more time with a coach 1 on 1 who can then get him to where he needs to be…just need to stick the landing on both the OC & QBC.

Because an offensive coach failed doesn't mean offense is bad.   Its correlation versus causation, because Nagy was bad and he was an offensive coach doesn't mean we should now try a defensive coach.   

But you make some excellent points about the HC having a larger focus than just offense, which is a major mistake Nagy made.

You have to be able to delegate properly.   Nagy brought in coaches who he had to teach his scheme (which is crazy stupid or Pace did - or both - either way it is crazy stupid) so he had to do everything and there isn't time to do everything.  

But the point of an offensive coach and why I advocated for one (moot now) is continuity of offensive scheme and language.  If you are an offensive head coach you bring in a guy who you know and trust to run offense.   Not a college coach who you never met.   

Defensive coaches tend to swap out schemes with OCs.  One can be radically different from one another.   Defenses across coaches tend to share a lot of language.   I mean coverages and concepts are labeled same.  Fronts are labeled same, etc.   There are differences, but learning curve for players is less.

Offensive learning curves are steep.  A veteran who has mastered a variety of passing concepts can apply same logic to another scheme and its easier for him to flip OCs with different terminology.  Oh, you call what we called this, that.   So Ben R. can go from coordinator to coordinator okay )(though I don't know why you wouldn't adjust to them.   So can Rodgers and Manning.   A younger player, not so much.   

DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog
· 3m
Here’s what I was told: Das Flus is not married to bringing in any “system”. The offense will be built/designed ENTIRELY around Fields. And they’ll choose the right coach to build it. twitter.com/adannehy/statu…
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, dafreak said:
DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog
· 3m
Here’s what I was told: Das Flus is not married to bringing in any “system”. The offense will be built/designed ENTIRELY around Fields. And they’ll choose the right coach to build it. twitter.com/adannehy/statu…

An offense built around its centerpiece? WHAT A DAMN CONCEPT. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Thegurubear said:

I wana know why people prefer luke getsy over pep hamilton. Seems like pep has alot more experience

I think it’s probably two fold: 

1) He’s beloved and highly credited for successes by the QB and WR1 in Green Bay, and those guys are pretty good 

2) Losing him potentially weakens Green Bay while strengthening our squad, and **** Green Bay

Personally I’d be happy with either but prefer Pep of the two because he’s done the job before with success and has a great track record developing QBs. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dafreak said:
DaBearsBlog

@dabearsblog
· 3m

I personally feel like we should use an offense that works for Dalton and just throw Fields into it from time to time. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’s probably two fold: 

1) He’s beloved and highly credited for successes by the QB and WR1 in Green Bay, and those guys are pretty good 

2) Losing him potentially weakens Green Bay while strengthening our squad, and **** Green Bay

Personally I’d be happy with either but prefer Pep of the two because he’s done the job before with success and has a great track record developing QBs. 

Adam Gase was credited with Peyton Manning for a time wasn't he?