Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

34 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kooky is fine with me if he can evaluate talent and build a good roster (which he showed over an extended stretch that he can). IMO it’s far less an issue with a GM than it would be with a HC who’s interacting with the team every day. 

This.  That being said I didn't get from the article that he was really kooky.  What I read in that article was that he was a man that lost the closest person in his life and did what he had to do to get past his grieving.  Do I think that his thought process on player development is different than what I have heard about in the past?  Yes.  But isn't that what we should be looking for?  Someone who isn't just about getting players here but someone who is fully invested in developing players as a whole?  I believe that type of forward thinking would serve the Bears well.  Not to mention the fact that that type of commitment will probably be attractive to free agent players and coaches.  Remember people usually don't quit jobs.  They quit bosses.  If you have great leadership and great organizational culture, jobs with your organization become that much more sought after.  Especially if everything else is equal. I lived in Houston for most of his tenure.  And I have ran into him a couple of times.  Great guy. I would be over the moon if we hired him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Cook is an interesting guys...player, coach & front office history...even had some time in baseball...

I don't think he is the guy but good to see they at least liked someone so far.

He was saying yesterday that Doug Pederson didn't do anything for them either. Which is good. I think it's safe to cross him off the list. 

• Like 2

Dan Wiederer

@danwiederer

1h

The Bills have a huge playoff game Saturday night at home against the Patriots. The following day, both the team’s coordinators — Brian Daboll and Leslie Frazier — will interview with the Bears for their open head-coaching position.

Daboll is a massive interview IMO...back to being my top offensive guys...very possible my top guy overall...

@JAF-N72EX

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Cook is an interesting guys...player, coach & front office history...even had some time in baseball...

I don't think he is the guy but good to see they at least liked someone so far.

Similar to when they hired Pace Bears will probably hire Cook because of his connections to Chicago (Cubs) and because he'll be cheaper and probably more agreeable than some of the other bigger names on their interview list.

Not saying he's not qualified but honestly never heard of this guy before now and it would be a pretty uninspiring hire for me. I'm hoping they make a splash GM hire

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Similar to when they hired Pace Bears will probably hire Cook because of his connections to Chicago (Cubs) and because he'll be cheaper and probably more agreeable than some of the other bigger names on their interview list.

Not saying he's not qualified but honestly never heard of this guy before now and it would be a pretty uninspiring hire for me. I'm hoping they make a splash GM hire

I expect them to make a splash...I think they understand they can't keep losing if they want to maximise the potential sponsorship of a new stadium...

Dodds is by far my #1 but I like Schoen as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Overrated. This is the same guy who asked Dez Bryant in a pre draft interview if his mother was a prostitute...

Only reason we would bring him in is if Harbaugh said it was non negotiable...I highly doubt Harbaugh is coming given he just hired a new assistant coach away from ND so I think this could be more of a courtesy at this point...at least I hope it is.  

Dan Wiederer

@danwiederer
· 1h
There is outside curiosity among some in the league on how exactly the Bears are establishing their search lists and how much those lists may grow. At least three highly qualified candidates for the GM post have had difficulty getting their hats in the ring.

How awesome is this to hear? People actually wanting to come here and interview who we haven't even approached.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:
Dan Wiederer

@danwiederer
· 1h
There is outside curiosity among some in the league on how exactly the Bears are establishing their search lists and how much those lists may grow. At least three highly qualified candidates for the GM post have had difficulty getting their hats in the ring.

How awesome is this to hear? People actually wanting to come here and interview who we haven't even approached.

Why would they be banging down the door and upset about not getting an interview for the 6th best opening according to Brad Biggs.

The Tribune needs to get their negative narratives to line up.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Why would they be banging down the door and upset about not getting an interview for the 6th best opening according to Brad Biggs.

Yeah I read that and couldn't believe it was from Biggs...usually his stuff is really balanced but that was just a stupid story...even having the Giants at #7 was just crazy...both these franchises will have quality candidates at both GM & HC to pick from.

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I read that and couldn't believe it was from Biggs...usually his stuff is really balanced but that was just a stupid story...even having the Giants at #7 was just crazy...both these franchises will have quality candidates at both GM & HC to pick from.

Question: are we sure that's the order? I thought so but I didn't see where Biggs said "in order." I kind of think he was simply listing the openings