Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This is a small part from Chad Graff’s article in The Athletic regarding Kevin O’Connell.

Play calling is a small portion of what offensive coordinators can be responsible for. And it holds very little water as to how they will be as a head coach. 

That is interesting information no question, but offensive coordinators, well Joe Brady was the big name and the hyped guy after the LSU championship run, how is he doing now in the NFL?  Fired before the end of the season after a good first year last season, with no McCaffrey in the offense this year guess what.

Hold little water?  They are hired because they are considered so great offensively and if they actually are not that great offensively when it comes to play calling then why are they hired?  At least the two other HC candidates have actual play calling experience regardless if it is on defense.  Hell, did O'Connell even call plays in Washington under Jay Gruden because if I remember it was Jay that called the plays there as well.  So it is possible he has been the OC for three seasons two different teams and called zero plays?  

Of course O'Connell can do other things for the offense if McVay calls the plays, he is basically the QB coach then and there are roles for him but still would be damn curious if he is such a smart guy why was he not calling the plays?  It is because it is McVay's show and he is along for the ride, same with Bieniemy and Kansas City under Andy Reid. 

So if Bieniemy does not get a HC job because some believe he is just riding Andy Reid's coattails, then why is it not the same for O'Connell?  What the success of LaFleur and Zac Taylor then?  Again back to the QBs they have for both teams....

Teams are just grabbing at straws hoping one guy works out and have no real clue and I guess why would they do anything different.  

1 minute ago, Hamsterdam said:

Graham tomorrow in person. Possibly to fulfill Rooney rule requirement? Ryan withdrew from his 2nd interview

Maybe. Even if that is the case, I wish there was a way to bring him into the org even if it’s not hc

Edited by battle2heaven