Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

I think the team is going to do their due diligence on the 3 finalists that have in-person interviews lined up, but if Harbaugh decides he wants the job I'm sure he gets it. Too big of a name, and it is hard to argue with his results everywhere he has been. 

• Like 1

The GM should make the final decision on players. Not the HC. The HC can say what he wants, offer opinions, etc., but it needs to be up to the GM.

I just have no idea how anyone knows what any of these guys will be like as HC. Even Harbaugh, who will have learned and changed some (though I admit, I'm both nervous about his college enthusiasm, and feel the team needs it....).

• Like 3

Just now, vikingsrule said:

What if the new GM wants to keep Kirk?

Then i trust it. 

Because the GM is always looking at the long term vision, or should be anyways. So if he has a plan in place then im in. But a coaches mindset is always to win now, to usually save their job & pad their resume. Which is why letting a coach determine big roster moves is generally not a good idea IMO, because their mindset is always on winning now or they could get fired. Instead of making smart moves for the future. A GM like Kwesi is gonna do whats best for the future of this team & a coach will probably do whats best for next season to win as many games as possible. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

If Jim Harbaugh would choose to keep Kirk, then im out on JH. We need to do whats best for the future of the team. 

Perhaps keeping Kirk IS what's best for the team. Especially if you want to compete over the next year or two. Harbaugh is 58. He's coming back to win a Super Bowl. He doesn't have 25 years of coaching ahead of him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric dunn said:

Then i trust it. 

Because the GM is always looking at the long term vision, or should be anyways. So if he has a plan in place then im in. But a coaches mindset is always to win now, to usually save their job & pad their resume. Which is why letting a coach determine big roster moves is generally not a good idea IMO, because their mindset is always on winning now or they could get fired. Instead of making smart moves for the future. A GM like Kwesi is gonna do whats best for the future of this team & a coach will probably do whats best for next season to win as many games as possible. 

I think the HC and GM should mostly be married together though. They both should want to win now but in a sustainable way. Otherwise you have a situation like Spielman all over again who somehow manages to be part of 3 coaching regimes. 

If the new Vikes head coach fails, I’d hope Kwesi is fired with him unless it’s clearly a case of a talented roster not being maximized. 

28 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I think the team is going to do their due diligence on the 3 finalists that have in-person interviews lined up, but if Harbaugh decides he wants the job I'm sure he gets it. Too big of a name, and it is hard to argue with his results everywhere he has been. 

i see that, obviously.

but with the hardheadness of Zimmer, and Childress before him, do we want that path again?

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i see that, obviously.

but with the hardheadness of Zimmer, and Childress before him, do we want that path again?

The thing is though, Harbaugh is a players coach. Players love him, players play hard for him, he seems to always have their backs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The thing is though, Harbaugh is a players coach. Players love him, players play hard for him, he seems to always have their backs. 

ok, that's encouraging to me.

i have to thin he would be motivated to make a big career statement/accomplishment, and this could be his last chance to do so. good motivation.

Cleaning house after the 2021 season, the Vikings could be looking to reunite Adofo-Mensah with Harbaugh, who worked alongside the new GM in San Francisco. The NFL is aware of Harbaugh's interview,  and is awaiting the formal paperwork that must be filed for all head coaching interviews. This is Harbaugh's first known interview of the 2022 hiring cycle and his most substantive connection to an NFL team since his abrupt departure from the league as 49ers head coach following the 2014 season.

The 58-year-old Harbaugh has led Michigan to a combined 61-24 record since taking the top job at his alma mater in 2015. Before that, he spent four years as the 49ers' coach, going 44-19-1 and guiding San Francisco to three NFC Championships, as well as one Super Bowl. He exited prior to the 2015 campaign due to a fracture with 49ers management. At the time, Adofo-Mensah was a director of football research and development for the 49ers.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-interviewing-michigans-jim-harbaugh-for-head-coaching-vacancy-feel-hes-ready-for-nfl-return-per-report/

42 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The GM should make the final decision on players. Not the HC. The HC can say what he wants, offer opinions, etc., but it needs to be up to the GM.

Definitely.  We don’t need another Brad Childress cutting Randy Moss for no reason type of situation again.

31 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I mean sometimes, but that isn’t always true.  I’d say he’s more of a polarizing coach where people either love him OR hate him because he’s definitely had a good number of players speak out against him in the past.