Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I know you don't really like the SKOR NORTH podcast (i think you've stated that before and I don't typically either)

They have their moments, but far too often they’ve let their clear bias get in the way of logical thought. It’s an obsession that makes it tough to listen to.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Talks about how he loved to change the offense, so who knows, maybe it will be different again. 

One can only hope. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I’m sure he’s a nice guy and means well but the whining isn’t the quality of a leader. Also, him talking about the organization being fear-based is just childish. There is nothing for him to gain by making those kind of statements. All the divide in the real world seeped into the locker room and I believe Kendricks was a large part of that. Get him out.

errr... he said that AFTER Zimmer was fired. so i don't think his view seeped in to the locker room and caused divide. nor does one comment equal being a whiner.

but hey, makes for a nice soap opera to believe it that way. more power to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Harbaugh walks through the door and the team is going to be instantly better. Alex Boone praised him tremendously.

Only if Vic Fangio comes with him along with some other great assistant coaches.  Sure Michigan beat Ohio State this year but outside of that game and most of this season, his time at Michigan has been a disappointment.

Jim Harbaugh is .500 or worse against Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin in the Big Ten.

Jim Harbaugh is 1-5 against Ohio State.

Jim Harbaugh is 3-4 against Michigan State and 0-2 against Mel Tucker.

Jim Harbaugh is 1-5 in bowl games.

Jim Harbaugh is 20-22 against Power 5 teams that are at least .500 since 2015. 

Wasn't it 2018, Michigan was 10-1, played Ohio State, Michigan had the #1 defense in the country with Devin Bush, Gary, Winovich, Paye, Hudson, Hill, Long, Hutchinson etc.  They got totally walked up and down the field and gave up almost 400 yards passing and 6 TD passes to Haskins, then the bowl game they got killed when a few of the top defensive players sat out.  

Sure some just want to think of Jim Harbaugh and his winning ways on the 49ers but that was very short lived and he was out of the NFL.  Not sure he is as great of a coach as some make him out to be, but again if he brings Fangio with him sure but honestly Fangio is a better Head Coach and coach in general than Jim Harbaugh.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Only if Vic Fangio comes with him along with some other great assistant coaches.  Sure Michigan beat Ohio State this year but outside of that game and most of this season, his time at Michigan has been a disappointment.

Jim Harbaugh is .500 or worse against Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin in the Big Ten.

Jim Harbaugh is 1-5 against Ohio State.

Jim Harbaugh is 3-4 against Michigan State and 0-2 against Mel Tucker.

Jim Harbaugh is 1-5 in bowl games.

Jim Harbaugh is 20-22 against Power 5 teams that are at least .500 since 2015. 

Wasn't it 2018, Michigan was 10-1, played Ohio State, Michigan had the #1 defense in the country with Devin Bush, Gary, Winovich, Paye, Hudson, Hill, Long, Hutchinson etc.  They got totally walked up and down the field and gave up almost 400 yards passing and 6 TD passes to Haskins, then the bowl game they got killed when a few of the top defensive players sat out.  

Sure some just want to think of Jim Harbaugh and his winning ways on the 49ers but that was very short lived and he was out of the NFL.  Not sure he is as great of a coach as some make him out to be, but again if he brings Fangio with him sure but honestly Fangio is a better Head Coach and coach in general than Jim Harbaugh.  

You also need to take into account that coaching in college is different than coaching on the NFL. It’s not entirely fair to discredit his pro coaching record because he didn’t dominate in the NCAA

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Did he cast a wide net? Or did he go through the motions? 

I never said I was out on Kwesi. I said the buzz was gone. Going after Jim Harbaugh feels like something Rick Spielman would have done. A football guy with an old school mentality towards the game. We just got rid of that. 

You should take a listen to Alex Boone’s recent takes on Harbaugh to the Vikes. Been posted in here, and I have to say it changed my mind. He says he is very opposite of Zimmer, and while he is an old school football guy, he sounds like the type of head coach the team wants.

• Like 1

The key hire for Harbaugh’s staff will be who he brings as OC. Harbaugh himself has always been the delegating, overseeing HC. Which is exactly what you want.

If he brings in an OC who conveys the sense that the team will implement a modern NFL offense, many of my concerns will be eased. But my largest concern is that we’re going to get a similar offensive approach that we saw him have at Stanford, San Francisco, and Michigan. Which is what so many, if not all, of us have complained so much about over the past 4+ years. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I’m sure he’s a nice guy and means well but the whining isn’t the quality of a leader. Also, him talking about the organization being fear-based is just childish. There is nothing for him to gain by making those kind of statements. All the divide in the real world seeped into the locker room and I believe Kendricks was a large part of that. Get him out.

Nah. We'll keep him. And the team will be better for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

You should take a listen to Alex Boone’s recent takes on Harbaugh to the Vikes. Been posted in here, and I have to say it changed my mind. He says he is very opposite of Zimmer, and while he is an old school football guy, he sounds like the type of head coach the team wants.

I’m not worried about Harbaugh connecting with his players. 

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

^^^^ jeez man, and Sean McVay and the Rams lost to the 49ers the last 6 or 8 times they played them and now are going to the Bowl.

That is only what three years if they lost to them 6 times in a row.  Harbaugh lost to Ohio State 5 times in a row and plays them only once a year so that is five years in a row.  And the 20-22 record against Power 5 times at least with a .500 record I assume is out of conference but either way that is not a great record against even decent teams.   Also .500 in 7 years against the best five teams in the Big Ten is awful.  

So no the McVay vs 49ers thing is not really the same at all because it is not the same amount of time.  But sure maybe it does not matter just odd how people forget those issues he has had at Michigan, then again most do not even know or follow college football it seems around here so there is that.  

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

You also need to take into account that coaching in college is different than coaching on the NFL. It’s not entirely fair to discredit his pro coaching record because he didn’t dominate in the NCAA

True but his pro coaching career is only 6 years and that includes two years as a QB coach in 2002/2003.  His total coaching career is what, freaking 20 years!  Yeah that is not even half the time as a Pro coach and really cannot really get a grasp of a guy till 6-8 years....aka Mike Zimmer, sure early on he looked freaking awesome but that wore thin, hopefully not the same for Harbaugh if he is hired.  

10 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Is it scheme then? Or his dealings with the front office?

Scheme is a large part of it. The league has changed considerably since Harbaugh was at the top with the 49ers. It is a passing league. There’s no denying that. The top talent on our roster is meant for a pass oriented offense. That is not something Harbaugh has ever been. Like Zimmer, Harbaugh has always been a coach that preaches a strong run game and a strong defense. 

The NFL game has changed, has Harbaugh changed to meet the demands?

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Scheme is a large part of it. The league has changed considerably since Harbaugh was at the top with the 49ers. It is a passing league. There’s no denying that. The top talent on our roster is meant for a pass oriented offense. That is not something Harbaugh has ever been. Like Zimmer, Harbaugh has always been a coach that preaches a strong run game and a strong defense. 

The NFL game has changed, has Harbaugh changed to meet the demands?

We’ve not seen him in the NFL since his scheme was working. Does he not get an opportunity to show that he’s adapted/can adapt to a different style of play?

it feels short sighted to judge him on what he did with a different roster a decade ago.