Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

Just now, roi34 said:

Allen with age/skill  you take over wilson. and id take burrow because im that confident in him. its all opinion anyway

I don’t really factor in age when ranking who’s the best. It’s not the draft or a fantasy draft… Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL at 37. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If anything, Wilson is underrated on this forum. He’s in the same tier and same skillsets as Mahomes and Allen. And has put up remarkable results. Give him a real offensive coach for the first time in his entire career and see what he does. 

Also could care less about DVOA for QB’s. That is more of a team stat. 

with what resources? 2 1sts gone in stated trade and more money tied up into him. Still need OL and WR. Fix all other pieces first, then get a QB. 

set up next qb for success and then if u have a rookie contract qb u really have flexability

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t really factor in age when ranking who’s the best. It’s not the draft or a fantasy draft… Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL at 37. 

we are talking about a trade with 2 1sts.. age 100 percent is a factor though. 

if u want to say best qbs avail realistically yes.. rodgers and wilson then rest

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roi34 said:

with what resources? 2 1sts gone in stated trade and more money tied up into him. Still need OL and WR. Fix all other pieces first, then get a QB. 

set up next qb for success and then if u have a rookie contract qb u really have flexability

If they wanna keep Carr a year and draft a Rookie QB, I’m down for that as well. And if Carr balls out, just extend him any way, and you have the rookie sit like 3 years. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Davis said Mayock and Gruden was a “rocky road” together so he wanted to pair a GM and HC together this time. This tells me Gruden/Cable really did go rouge the first round and Mayock was the 2nd and later guy. 

Except Mayock is on record saying Ferrel and Arnette were his guys. So it's more they were pulling in multiple directions on certain picks. Or Mayock drafted the defensive guys. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Except Mayock is on record saying Ferrel and Arnette were his guys. So it's more they were pulling in multiple directions on certain picks. Or Mayock drafted the defensive guys. 

Still doesn’t convince me. As a current GM you are gonna say whoever you draft is “my guy” to protect your HC. But I’m not defending Mayock, he had to go. 

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If anything, Wilson is underrated on this forum. He’s in the same tier and same skillsets as Mahomes and Allen. And has put up remarkable results. Give him a real offensive coach for the first time in his entire career and see what he does. 

Also could care less about DVOA for QB’s. That is more of a team stat. 

Value per play is a great gauge for QBs, it absolutely isn't just a team stat. He is a lock top 10 QB I'd say but has been below the elites for a while. 

Just now, Jraider91 said:

Value per play is a great gauge for QBs, it absolutely isn't just a team stat. He is a lock top 10 QB I'd say but has been below the elites for a while. 

Fully disagree with everything in this post, but that’s what forums are for. If DVOA matters for QB’s you must think Wilson and Carr are pretty equal… not even close to the same tier. 

Loved that Zeigler spoke up and said he has final say. Shows me McDaniels has in fact learned a bit from his first stint. I believe McD is a bright offensive mind, but him relinquishing control his second time around shows me he’s been humbled a bit and realizes he does need help in building up a winner. I liked what I saw and heard in the press conference. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Fully disagree with everything in this post, but that’s what forums are for. If DVOA matters for QB’s you must think Wilson and Carr are pretty equal… not even close to the same tier. 

Wilson is a tier above Carr, and has been by DVOA for most of career but in the last few years he has taken a notable step back. I'd absolutely make the right trade for him, but no Metcalf/Lockett here would be a big adjustment. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

haha crazy how everyone hears what they want. 
To me it sounded like they want to see what Carr can do this year before tying him down. 100% I am on board for that. 

Ill be shocked if they trade him this year. . . but we will see. So far Carr has convinced what 5 HCs hes the right QB, can he do it again lol

If he was their guy at QB, wouldn’t they come out and say we’re working on an extension? Instead they opted for double talk 

I give this hire an A. Here's why 

• great offensive mind - 6 titles, his resume speaks for himself 
  • can't say it was just Brady- he helped Mac Jones look good 
  • he's grown since Denver 

idk what else you could ask for? just bring in a solid defensive mind and build up the best coaching stuff as possible 

Press Conference answered a few of my questions. Love that their is an actual hierarchy and Zeigler isn’t a puppet. Love that McD brought up his past and owned up to his missteps. That gives me confidence that he’s learned and will be better off for it. As opposed to being an egomaniac which is what I was most fearful of. I like McD as an offensive mind, I have no doubts he knows his stuff. My two main worries were him making personnel decisions and him leading a locker room full of alphas. I think he knows this is his shot, and will give this team all he has. I think we move forward with DC, and I didn’t mind them not having a contract proposal available at the presser lol I think we brought in two bright, young football guys. I’m cautiously optimistic. 

I wonder if there will be any holdovers from Grudens staff. Wouldn’t mind Marinelli and Milus returning. 

• Like 1

Definitely gives a lot more to look forward to than another Gruden season. Or Bowles or Rich for that matter. Would not be really any excitement at all. 

The only other candidate that would of really gave excitement is Harbaugh. Harbaugh has a way higher floor than any candidate by far, and Josh’s floor is pretty low. However, I do agree Josh has the most potential/highest ceiling of any candidate, including Harbaugh. Harbaugh being 2nd in the potential/ceiling category. 

The mystery of McDaniels results definitely give fans excitement. He could truly be absolutely great and a better hire than Harbaugh. Could be a Top 5 HC in the league. Could bring back the Commitment to Excellence. It’s exciting. He could also massively crash and burn to complete epic failure, but I’d rather be positive, optimistic, and excited. 

I’m ready baby. Let’s get this show on the road. Make Al proud. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1