2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

I will say though, on this topic - like most QB's, pressure up the middle is far more disruptive to Burrow and the Bengals than outside pressure.  In that respect, Donald is going to be a bigger problem than anything the Chiefs or Raiders were doing.

Tennessee did a great job containing Burrow in the pocket, which is why he was sacked 4 times.  If the Rams push the pocket like Tennessee did, and stay in their lanes, it'll make it tough for the Bengals.  If they can't push the edge, or run past Burrow, Donald's impact is going to be more limited.  Burrow is a master at manipulating the pocket and escaping single rushers.  You have to get pressure from multiple spots to really consistently affect him.

That's our specialty lol.

27 minutes ago, theJ said:

Am i?  I just estimated a 25-38% pressure rate.  That's a good to phenomenal game from any D-line.  Are you expecting 60-80%?  I think you'll be disappointed. 

EDIT: For reference, the Rams averaged 24% pressure rate on the season, around the same rate the Bengals gave up pressure.

Gotta keep in mind that's the average. With the Bengals being one of the least effective pass blocking units, one would expect them to pressure at higher than average. I don't think 30% to 40% is unreasonable. Plus, you have to keep in mind that just because they're not pressuring doesn't mean they're not impacting the game. On some plays, the lack of pressure is due to the QB getting the ball out quickly rather than the OL winning. If the Rams can put enough pressure on Burrow that he's not able to take longer drops and hold the ball, that'll make it harder for Cincy to rack up chunk plays.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

With the Bengals being one of the least effective pass blocking units

They are 12th in pressure rate. Burrow just hasnt learned how to deal with it yet. 

EDIT - 12th worst. Which isnt horrific, its almost in the league average range. 

Edited by Matts4313

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's our specialty lol.

Gotta keep in mind that's the average. With the Bengals being one of the least effective pass blocking units, one would expect them to pressure at higher than average. I don't think 30% to 40% is unreasonable. Plus, you have to keep in mind that just because they're not pressuring doesn't mean they're not impacting the game. On some plays, the lack of pressure is due to the QB getting the ball out quickly rather than the OL winning. If the Rams can put enough pressure on Burrow that he's not able to take longer drops and hold the ball, that'll make it harder for Cincy to rack up chunk plays.

Help me out here.  All this discussion, i finally looked up some stats today.  Am i reading this chart right?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

This says the Rams had a 22.8% pressure rate on the season, good for 26th on the season.  I have to think i'm not looking at this correctly based on the narrative that's being spun with the Rams being a top notch pass rush team.

I'm not familiar with the Rams at all - were there injuries early in the year that trashed this ranking, and the unit we're talking about now is different?

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Help me out here.  All this discussion, i finally looked up some stats today.  Am i reading this chart right?

This says the Rams had a 22.8% pressure rate on the season, good for 26th on the season.  I have to think i'm not looking at this correctly based on the narrative that's being spun with the Rams being a top notch pass rush team.

I'm not familiar with the Rams at all - were there injuries early in the year that trashed this ranking, and the unit we're talking about now is different?

Sounds about right. Slow start.. Plus getting accumulated to Raheem’s system. Things didn’t start clicking after our 3 game skid. I imagine the playoff numbers are higher which matter and hold up more value… Regular season numbers get thrown out the door once this puppy starts… 

What they did to Tampa, Az and 4th qtr to SF was a blood bath. Just completely man handled them. Best way to beat us is for short quick passes. But that’s something Cincy doesn’t do, they love long developing  routes! Which will be their down fall if they don’t change it up.. It’s been Mcvays death kiss as HC as well… He’ll force those long balls when the Oline simply can’t hold. 

1 minute ago, theJ said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

I'm seeing 21st, but again i fully admit i may be reading this incorrectly.

12th worst. I left out a word. Which would be 21st best. But 3rd worst in sacks, again, cause Burrow is young and needs to improve. Sacks are always 50/50 the QB/OL. In Burrows case, he is taking more sacks than he needs too based on pressures. An area to work on, because obvi he is not done developing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

PFR's numbers are highly suspect. Completely out of step with what other sites have.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I guess i'm just numb to it because Joe has been under pressure in every game this year.  He got sacked 51 times, had a pressure rate of 24.5% on the year, etc.  I know it's going to happen, he knows it's going to happen.  If he drops back 40 times in this game, i expect he's going to be pressured 10-15 times, and probably be sacked 3-5 times.  These are all givens.

There's two questions in my mind

1. What happens on those 20ish plays where there is no pressure?  That will happen.  The Rams won't get pressure on 100% of their snaps bc no one ever has, and no one ever will.  The Bengals are great at picking up chunk plays and erasing sacks.
  2. Conversely, when the Rams are on offense - what will Stafford do with his time?  The Bengals are great at man coverage, even 4-5 seconds into a play.  Will Stafford get impatient when no one is open and force it into tight windows?

1. Ramsey is better than any CB - by far - than the Bengals have played all season. Williams regressed this year, but our pass defense was very good overall, and as jrry pointed out, we do a good job of limiting those explosives.

2. This is a fairly crazy question, IMO. Do you think Awuzie and Apple can really cover Kupp and OBJ man to man? It's more likely that the Bengals would have to drop 8 into coverage. But unlike the Chiefs, we will just run the ball. But if Stafford has time, Kupp or OBJ should be able to get open.

We also pressured the Bucs closer to 40% of dropbacks, so it's not a given that it will only be 25%.

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

Ah this makes sense. I was wondering how you were confident in your CBs covering our WRs man to man