49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

33 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Haven't we already tried to sign Norton multiple times through the last few years? And one time he signed and then a week later left for the Seahawks.

Yep. I think we offered him the LB gig and then he got the DC job in Seattle. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Exactly what he said. He couldn't see us paying him a lot for a guy that in a perfect world doesn't start for us. Says team is still a big believer in kinlaw

I mean they really don't have a choice but to be believers of Kinlaw lol. At the very least you know he's going to be a good run defender. That's a given and the pass rush will be good with Armstead and Bosa but we will still need one more legit edge defender. I don't see Ebukam's option being picked up at that price tag. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd be fine with that return, but it is also not likely my favorite return. Very cheap this year with a reasonable 5th year option next season 

I'd say yes. DE isn't an immediate position of need, but adding another solid edge rusher into the rotation alongside Bosa definitely can't hurt, and there's no guarantee that whoever we draft with whatever picks we'd otherwise get for Jimmy will turn out to be as good as Sweat. We'd most likely be unable to pay him in two years but might as well try to go all in while Lance is still on his rookie deal.

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, Forge said:

At the beginning he advocated young guys to just get thrown into the fire. 

What he's basically saying here is that the 49ers were flat out telling everyone he wasn't ready last year and that because of his inexperience, it would take a lot to get him ready to be super bowl competitive for this upcoming season (which is why @J-ALL-DAY and I both were in favor of starting him from jump and getting the worst bumps out of the way)

I'm torn. I want an extended window of Super Bowls, and starting Trey from the jump and getting the worst bumps out of the way would expedite Trey's window with the team...Jimmy's window with the team was in full effect this year. 28 teams wished they could be where we were. I don't think we make the playoffs with Trey in 2021. Hopeful for 2022 though. 

5 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

I'd say yes. DE isn't an immediate position of need, but adding another solid edge rusher into the rotation alongside Bosa definitely can't hurt, and there's no guarantee that whoever we draft with whatever picks we'd otherwise get for Jimmy will turn out to be as good as Sweat. We'd most likely be unable to pay him in two years but might as well try to go all in while Lance is still on his rookie deal.

I would be ecstatic if we land sweat. He is honestly the best DE in WSH. His length and speed is only found in the first round of the draft and having a legit DE opposite bosa would open up so much. 

He has shades of Aaron Lynch with his hand usage and how he catches guys leaning. Very natural hands

I will keep repeating it until people hear it or it changes. Chase young is overrated. He doesn't have enough pass rushing moves and is unpolished. Very inconsistent and doesnt seem to have a plan of attack. 

That's one thing that's great about kocerek is that he gives each guy a gameplan. Sweat will be a dominant player here and will be worthy of an extension. He is the type of player you can be confident giving a long term deal to.

He would round out our DL nicely and makes it easy to move off of ebukam and save 7m. Maybe ebukam comes back for 3m or something and he and Jordan Willis are solid depth. 

Sweat is #1 on my wishlist as far as Jimmy trades go. If would make losing DJJ more palatable. 

The WFT is not going to give up Sweat for Jimmy lol. The point is for them to keep their strong DL and have a QB capable of getting it done with a solid supporting cast. Why would you trade one of your best defensive players for a QB that isn't a complete game changer? Trading Young or Sweat for someone like Wilson or Rodgers? Understood! But for Jimmy? Nah. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2