49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

Alright..After listening to too many podcasts, reading too many tweets and watching too many pundits on youtube, I'll put this debate to bed. You're welcome.

I'm referring to the not releasing Jimmy/re-structuring Kittle and Armstead debate. You got two scenarios here:

A) Cut Jimmy to comply under the cap, sign The CW (13,4m), Azeez (4m), Brunskill (2,5), Oren Burks (2,5), Ridgeway (2,5)... then in july, you have to sign your draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel... so what do you do? You re-structure Kittle and AA to get the necessary cap space.

B) You re-structure Kittle/AA, sign The CW (13,4m), Azeez (4m), Brunskill (2,5), Oren Burks (2,5), Ridgeway (2,5)... then in july, you have to sign your draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel... But! Instead of having cut Jimmy in March, you have had the chance of trading him either as the first sets of OTAs were to begin, or at the draft, when another team might finally have been desperate for a QB, and you suddenly end up with all the cap space needed to sign that draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel. If no one bit on a trade for Jimmy, you still can release him at any point, then.

But at the end of the day, I think Kittle and AA get re-structured either way. All this time, Jimmy's cap space has been earmarked for the draft class and Bosa/Samuel, nothing. Every other free agent signing had to find some other cap space. And in both scenarios, Kittle and AA are restructured. And, might I add, there's a very possible possibility that those guys' contracts were planned with exactly that in mind. "Okay George, this is your deal, but we'll talk in March 2022 about converting that base salary into a signing bonus to create 7,7m in cap space". 

I, for one, think this is the best and most inevitable move the FO could have made. They could also have traded Jimmy, had it not been for the injury, but we wouldn't have gone all out on free agency. That 25m would still have been earmarked for Draft class+Bosa+Samuel anyway. Now, Jimmy's surgery and the market being what it is (Rodgers and Brady retiring and Watson not coming back to the NFL in 2022 could have made this a very different landscape) totally tanked the return we could have had for him. But this is still the right move. So I'm quite tired of hearing about the re-structuring of Kittle and Armstead, and pushing money down the road (as I said on twitter earlier, there's no better time in the history of the NFL to push money further down the road than in 2023-24). This is an epically good move. Will we pay AA 23m to play for us in 2024? I seriously doubt that, but even if we do, it won't handcuff us. Even if we end up releasing Jimmy for nothing in July, this re-structuring still doesn't move the needle. It would have happened anyway.

/end debate

You're welcome.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Alright..After listening to too many podcasts, reading too many tweets and watching too many pundits on youtube, I'll put this debate to bed. You're welcome.

I'm referring to the not releasing Jimmy/re-structuring Kittle and Armstead debate. You got two scenarios here:

A) Cut Jimmy to comply under the cap, sign The CW (13,4m), Azeez (4m), Brunskill (2,5), Oren Burks (2,5), Ridgeway (2,5)... then in july, you have to sign your draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel... so what do you do? You re-structure Kittle and AA to get the necessary cap space.

B) You re-structure Kittle/AA, sign The CW (13,4m), Azeez (4m), Brunskill (2,5), Oren Burks (2,5), Ridgeway (2,5)... then in july, you have to sign your draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel... But! Instead of having cut Jimmy in March, you have had the chance of trading him either as the first sets of OTAs were to begin, or at the draft, when another team might finally have been desperate for a QB, and you suddenly end up with all the cap space needed to sign that draft class and extend Bosa and Samuel. If no one bit on a trade for Jimmy, you still can release him at any point, then.

But at the end of the day, I think Kittle and AA get re-structured either way. All this time, Jimmy's cap space has been earmarked for the draft class and Bosa/Samuel, nothing. Every other free agent signing had to find some other cap space. And in both scenarios, Kittle and AA are restructured. And, might I add, there's a very possible possibility that those guys' contracts were planned with exactly that in mind. "Okay George, this is your deal, but we'll talk in March 2022 about converting that base salary into a signing bonus to create 7,7m in cap space". 

I, for one, think this is the best and most inevitable move the FO could have made. They could also have traded Jimmy, had it not been for the injury, but we wouldn't have gone all out on free agency. That 25m would still have been earmarked for Draft class+Bosa+Samuel anyway. Now, Jimmy's surgery and the market being what it is (Rodgers and Brady retiring and Watson not coming back to the NFL in 2022 could have made this a very different landscape) totally tanked the return we could have had for him. But this is still the right move. So I'm quite tired of hearing about the re-structuring of Kittle and Armstead, and pushing money down the road (as I said on twitter earlier, there's no better time in the history of the NFL to push money further down the road than in 2023-24). This is an epically good move. Will we pay AA 23m to play for us in 2024? I seriously doubt that, but even if we do, it won't handcuff us. Even if we end up releasing Jimmy for nothing in July, this re-structuring still doesn't move the needle. It would have happened anyway.

/end debate

You're welcome.

Not sure it was a debate as opposed to my rant lol….Struby laid it out in a clearer picture for me and im all good now.

2 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Not sure it was a debate as opposed to my rant lol….Struby laid it out in a clearer picture for me and im all good now.

I wasn't targetting anyone on here. I just listened to 2 podcasts this morning, and I doomscrolled twitter for the last few weeks, so I wanted to lay down all my thoughts on the subject. Now, I feel like screenshotting my post for future use on twitter, where I couldn't say all of it without starting a long thread.

Next, I'm doing Ukraine.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

This is what I have been saying for the past 5-6 days. 

There was no immediate need to trade Jimmy, and the niners best course of action is to wait for the right deal. It has not impeded our ability to do anything else that we have wanted to do. 

It sucks to see so many of the other SB contenders make strong moves, but it is what it is. 

The upgrade we are going to get at QB will be the best thing to happen to us this offseason. 

• Like 2

I wonder how accurate the "Jimmy turned down Washington" rumors were, because if that is true, he is going to regret that when he isn't a starting QB next year. 

There are only so many jobs, and you can't be that picky if you aren't a top 10 guy. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 49to5er said:

Yeah if we can tartt, shark and verret back on one year deals. great. We need depth. Seems like we have been one injury away from being very thin at a particular position group for a few years now. 

shark?