49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't expect us to big time players in FA this year, but these are some guys I'd really like us to look at in FA this year:

James Daniels - Has versatility to play guard or center. Could start at RG if Tomlinson and Mack are back or could take either of their spots if we lose either of them. Very solid player who could fit in anywhere on our interior.

David Njoku - Shanny tried to get an athletic pass catcher a couple years ago with Jordan Reed. Would love to bring in Njoku for the role of an athletic pass catching weapon. 

Isaiah Oliver - Really liked him coming out of Colorado. I think he could be a player for us and would benefit from our front. 

DJ Chark - This one is on here just because I love Chark. I really wanted us to draft him. This may be more of a pipe dream as he will probably price himself out, but I wanted to throw it on here anyway. 

Ronnie Harrison - I admit I haven't followed him much since Alabama, but he's was a stud there and we will most likely lose Tartt and Harrison and Hufanga could compete for his spot. If nothing else he could be a very good backup. 

Levi Wallace - Solid CB who I wanted to bring in last year. He's not going to be a superstar, but he's been a solid player in the NFL from what I can recall. Like Oliver would benefit from playing behind our front 7. 

I haven't gone through the entire list of UFAs yet, but these are a few that caught my eye right off. Obviously we wouldn't be able to bring in all these guys and some may be out of our price range, but I'd really like to at least look at some of these guys; especially James Daniels. 

I would love to take a shot at Oliver. 

I don't think WR is a huge need but if we can get someone like Chark? Why not? 

I'll pass on Wallace. Either someone like Gilmore or just wait for the draft. I started to watch some of the corners the last few days and I haven't watched many...But I like what I see with McDuffie and McCreary. Not sure where they are projected to go but if we can package to move up a bit to get one of them, I would love that. If we get a 2nd for Jimmy, we will be in a pretty decent spot. 

15 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't expect us to big time players in FA this year, but these are some guys I'd really like us to look at in FA this year:

James Daniels - Has versatility to play guard or center. Could start at RG if Tomlinson and Mack are back or could take either of their spots if we lose either of them. Very solid player who could fit in anywhere on our interior.

David Njoku - Shanny tried to get an athletic pass catcher a couple years ago with Jordan Reed. Would love to bring in Njoku for the role of an athletic pass catching weapon. 

Isaiah Oliver - Really liked him coming out of Colorado. I think he could be a player for us and would benefit from our front. 

DJ Chark - This one is on here just because I love Chark. I really wanted us to draft him. This may be more of a pipe dream as he will probably price himself out, but I wanted to throw it on here anyway. 

Ronnie Harrison - I admit I haven't followed him much since Alabama, but he's was a stud there and we will most likely lose Tartt and Harrison and Hufanga could compete for his spot. If nothing else he could be a very good backup. 

Levi Wallace - Solid CB who I wanted to bring in last year. He's not going to be a superstar, but he's been a solid player in the NFL from what I can recall. Like Oliver would benefit from playing behind our front 7. 

I haven't gone through the entire list of UFAs yet, but these are a few that caught my eye right off. Obviously we wouldn't be able to bring in all these guys and some may be out of our price range, but I'd really like to at least look at some of these guys; especially James Daniels. 

My FA list of interest so far:

QB - Tyrod Taylor - Vet backup who can be a mentor to Lance and also win some games if need be. 

TE - Mo-Alie Cox - Quality run blocker and good in pass pro as well. Can contribute as a receiver as well.

TE - Lee Smith - Good blocker, but less of a blocker than Cox but slightly better as a receiver. Will be 35 to start the year, though.

TE - Eric Saubert - High quality #3 TE. Exceptional blocker in the run game. Not a big contributor as a receiver.

CB - Casey Hayward - My #1 corner on the market. Tailor-made for our zone-heavy scheme.

CB - Mike Hughes - Quality zone corner. Younger than Hayward and will be more expensive.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The team culture is seriously top notch, love it! You could tell Shanny/FO do good for the players and the players really appreciate it. That's why Jimmy is going where HE wants to go to, regardless if we get a little less compensation. 

I'm actually curious to see if we bring him back. I don't think that Williams will be back...he's not what he once was and he has some clear deficiencies in the slot now, particularly against bigger slot receivers. I wonder if we can utilize Dennard in that role as a bigger slot corner. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Forge "Are you Smarter than an NFL GM" superstar selection, Lorenzo Carter you mean! 

I just said how much I loved Chark and wanted to draft him. I took the trade up that we did for Pettis and took Isaiah Oliver. I believe Chark was taken with our original pick in that draft lol. I get too caught up in needs when that game actually takes place and am so pissed off after a pick in the first few rounds that I start indulging in some Crown and forget to make any more picks. Maybe this year I'll behave like an adult and get all the way through the game. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually curious to see if we bring him back. I don't think that Williams will be back...he's not what he once was and he has some clear deficiencies in the slot now, particularly against bigger slot receivers. I wonder if we can utilize Dennard in that role as a bigger slot corner. 

I think the plan is to have Lenoir take over the nickel duties this upcoming season. He's not going to be a factor in the run game though which sucks. McDuffie to me can play both outside and inside. Hope he doesn't kill it too much at the combine! 

33 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'd be really interested in Daniels. I know that Chicago's line was brutal, but he has had some quality moments in the past. I Feel like this may be more likely if Mack decides to hang it up? What's Daniels' history at guard? Any good? 

Njoku is sort of whatever to me. I've never been super impressed, but there are a lot of tight ends available this year and I think all of them are pretty much whatever and just make your choice. I do not know if there is a huge difference between Njoku, Howard, Cox, etc. It's just a pick your flavor situation. 

Chark is interesting and I really, really want a downfield threat...but I wonder if he's too much of a name / player. Coming off the injury, he may resort to a one year deal to build value and I have to think that we are one of hte last places a receiver would do that for. I like the idea, but I think that the target will be a lesser version. I could see us bring Goodwin back, maybe James Washington? Demarcus Robinson is also maybe a possible player. We could just bring back Benjamin, but that is pretty much whatever.  The two others I would think are big possibilities are Jakeem Grant and Ray Ray McCloud just because of their special teams contributions. 

I remember Oliver from his draft year. Liked him as well. That said, I'm looking at going big at corner (Gilmore, Jackson, Davis if any of them hit the market) and then maybe bringing back JV on a vet min incentive deal as a CB4 type.  I also really like Fuller as a buy low option similar to what Washington did with Ronald Darby a few years back. He's a few years older, so its very possible that's he's just done, but he was playing at a solid level just 2 years ago and he was so bad this year that I can't imagine that this is anything more than a 1 year, 3 million type deal at this point. 

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I just said how much I loved Chark and wanted to draft him. I took the trade up that we did for Pettis and took Isaiah Oliver. I believe Chark was taken with our original pick in that draft lol. I get too caught up in needs when that game actually takes place and am so pissed off after a pick in the first few rounds that I start indulging in some Crown and forget to make any more picks. Maybe this year I'll behave like an adult and get all the way through the game. 

I tend to remember my picks. There's a "game" that goes on in one of the other leagues called BDL (bizarro dynasty league) where members have been running teams for years in sort of a sim game. On the main boards, you'll see people mention "BDL superstar yadda yadda". So I started saying "Forge Shadow draft all star selection yadda yadda" when mentioning people I have picked in this game over the years. 

Last year was really, really bad for me LOL 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be really interested in Daniels. I know that Chicago's line was brutal, but he has had some quality moments in the past. I Feel like this may be more likely if Mack decides to hang it up? What's Daniels' history at guard? Any good? 

Njoku is sort of whatever to me. I've never been super impressed, but there are a lot of tight ends available this year and I think all of them are pretty much whatever and just make your choice. I do not know if there is a huge difference between Njoku, Howard, Cox, etc. It's just a pick your flavor situation. 

Chark is interesting and I really, really want a downfield threat...but I wonder if he's too much of a name / player. Coming off the injury, he may resort to a one year deal to build value and I have to think that we are one of hte last places a receiver would do that for. I like the idea, but I think that the target will be a lesser version. I could see us bring Goodwin back, maybe James Washington? Demarcus Robinson is also maybe a possible player. We could just bring back Benjamin, but that is pretty much whatever.  The two others I would think are big possibilities are Jakeem Grant and Ray Ray McCloud just because of their special teams contributions. 

I remember Oliver from his draft year. Liked him as well. That said, I'm looking at going big at corner (Gilmore, Jackson, Davis if any of them hit the market) and then maybe bringing back JV on a vet min incentive deal as a CB4 type.  I also really like Fuller as a buy low option similar to what Washington did with Ronald Darby a few years back. He's a few years older, so its very possible that's he's just done, but he was playing at a solid level just 2 years ago and he was so bad this year that I can't imagine that this is anything more than a 1 year, 3 million type deal at this point. 

I believe Daniels was a center at Iowa and has been playing guard since he was drafted, but I could be mistaken. I really want to stabilize our line this off-season. If we could get Brunskill back into a reserve role, I think we’d be sitting pretty. A line of Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-Daniels-McGlinchey would be more than serviceable imo. When Mack retires we can slide Daniels to center and hopefully Banks will have developed and can slide in at RG.

As far as Njoku, he’s definitely underperformed during his NFL career, but he kind of fits that mold of what I think Shanny was trying for with Jordan Reed; an uber athletic TE that is a threat in the passing game. I think we should let Dwelley walk and keep Warner around for his blocking. 

I think Oliver would be a great get as he is still young and would be reasonably priced. I have a hard time seeing us making a big splash like Gilmore or JC Jackson with our cap situation. I think we’ll add a starting caliber guy to compete with Ambry and Moseley and draft someone to develop. I agree with @J-ALL-DAY about D-Mo sliding in at nickel as well. I’ve certainly been wrong before though, so we’ll see what happens there.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Daniels has played mostly guard for the Bears due to Cody Whitehair and then Sam Mustipher being entrenched (perhaps unwisely) at center. I can say from watching him with my brother during Bears games that he's fine in pass protection and not very good at moving the pile on the Bears endlessly futile string of inside zone plays, but much better when on the move and getting to the second level. He was a light center coming out and still isn't a pile mover. I'd love to see him back at his natural position. He's still a tremendously quick athlete and I feel as though he could still do plenty of good at an important position for us, though perhaps being entrenched at guard is also a sign of not being able to pick up on the necessary protection checks required for center - I don't know that. As a guard, he's perfectly fine and certainly an upgrade (up to around the Tomlinson reliable but not spectacular level), but he's not the big but nimble sort of versatile zone/gap power movement guy that we're going for of late at guard. I feel as though the team is really going to try to get Moore and Banks to be Tomlinsons on the cheap. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeLet's say we get a mid-2nd rounder for Jimmy. How much cap space do we need to save for our rookie class? Can't be more than around 5M or so, correct?

Figure about 1.3-1.4 for second round picks each. Around 850-900K for third rounders. About 800K for 4th rounders, 700-800K for each below that. The later picks likely aren't making the top 51 cut off before the season starts I would imagine. 

5 is a fair estimate. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Figure about 1.3-1.4 for second round picks each. Around 850-900K for third rounders. About 800K for 4th rounders, 700-800K for each below that. The later picks likely aren't making the top 51 cut off before the season starts I would imagine. 

5 is a fair estimate. 

So once we let go of Jimmy and make some other moves, am I crazy for thinking we CAN make a move for someone like Gilmore?? Like why can't we? I get the pricy extensions but I think we should still be fine. We can even extend someone like Ward or even Armstead and save more money. 

At the very least, there is NO reason to lose Tomlinson or Jones. Those two should be back. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So once we let go of Jimmy and make some other moves, am I crazy for thinking we CAN make a move for someone like Gilmore?? Like why can't we? I get the pricy extensions but I think we should still be fine. We can even extend someone like Ward or even Armstead and save more money. 

At the very least, there is NO reason to lose Tomlinson or Jones. Those two should be back. 

Just depends on what the team wants to do and what their priority is.  Some of this is complicated by not putting a priority on it. If you don't put a priority on it and people reach free agency, they become more difficult to sign. Then it depends on the extensions and what other little moves we want to make to free up cap space. We only have 32 players under contract at this point (or something like that). With the vet minimum increases from the last cba agreements, that fills up faster than you think even if you're just adding minimums. I mean, I can get this ball rolling to do a ton of stuff... there's definitely a lot that's possible and very little that is impossible or even unlikely. Just depends on what the team wants to do. 

I have no idea what Jones' market value is. Tomlinson...I'm going to be honest...if this team decided to walk away from 10 million a year? I wouldn't be the most shocked. I don't think its the smartest thing ever given the fact that we can actually count on him, but that's a lot of cheddar. 

23 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, you need to look into what he said deeper. He is saying the Niners asked him to take a 60% pay cut knowing damn well he was not going to agree to doing so and they used that as a reason to fire him....What I want to know is how many other coaches were offered the same stipulations? You want to stay? Cool, now just take a 60% pay cut. 

Also, the word "fired" seems exaggerated, in that his contract was expiring anyway. I don't know if coaches contract end with the league year like players do. But since he wasn't just a TE coach, he was also assistant-HC, him seeking a job with another team couldn't be a lateral move. Maybe being released from his contract actually helps him. What seems to be prevalent, is that the team wasn't going forward with him as the assistant-HC, but was fine with him as a TE coach, or else you wouldn't even offer him the pay cut at all, you'd just release him outright. Maybe Embree actually has a similar role (assistant HC) waiting for him elsewhere. Maybe with Saleh in NY. I have no doubt it's a tough pill to swallow to be demoted, then fired, but I have no reason to believe it was acrimonious, at this point.