49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our offense really is going to be significantly different than what it was this season. I can't wait! 

It kind of felt like the run game got a little figured out this year. This might be partly due to thrusting a 6th round rookie into the starting role who didn’t have a pre-season, but I also think teams have seen enough of the inside/outside zone to key into Shanahan’s tendencies. 

Hopefully, Lynn will help to add enough wrinkles into the run game to help diversify it and make it a little more unpredictable.

Ok so, I think the reason why Kyle Shanahan hired Lynn. so Lynn can focus on the day-to-day of some of the head coach responsibilities for Kyle. Kyle is going to fully work on the offense-specifically, this season. Trying to develop and focus on Lance/offense. Lynn gets a year of rehab with the top offensive-minded coach. After a year with the Lions and getting fired as OC. If he ends up with just the title of Assistant coach nothing else.

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Ok so, I think the reason why Kyle Shanahan hired Lynn. so Lynn can focus on the day-to-day of some of the head coach responsibilities for Kyle. Kyle is going to fully work on the offense-specifically, this season. Trying to develop and focus on Lance/offense. Lynn gets a year of rehab with the top offensive-minded coach. After a year with the Lions and getting fired as OC. If he ends up with just the title of Assistant coach nothing else.

Great post! 

I keep seeing people say "he will help with the run game". The reasoning is that Lynn's offenses "ranked highly" in rushing. Those rankings are all volume stats. Lynns teams ran the ball a lot because he is a conservative, old school, former NFL running back. We don't need him to draw up run plays, we do that well already. The man lost play calling duties to Dan Campbell lol he is not creative like Kyle and McDaniels are. 

Where Lynn does help us is with his day to day leadership. He can help mentor young players in a way Kyle has struggled with. Lynn is just a good dude to have in the building 

I had not thought about the idea that Kyle will need to spend more time with the offense if we lose McDaniels and that Lynn will help with his other duties. That makes perfect sense. Well reasoned. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

It kind of felt like the run game got a little figured out this year. This might be partly due to thrusting a 6th round rookie into the starting role who didn’t have a pre-season, but I also think teams have seen enough of the inside/outside zone to key into Shanahan’s tendencies. 

Hopefully, Lynn will help to add enough wrinkles into the run game to help diversify it and make it a little more unpredictable.

I don't know how much rotating runningbacks might have helped in the past. These guys all have their styles. They hit the hole different, at different speed, different angles. Some games, Coleman's style worked best. Other games, Breida was better. But at some point, Mostert started having monster games, and it feels like Kyle thought "That's it!" and stopped rotating guys. Now, he'll do it in the name of his "rhythm", the same excuse he had for not playing Trey this year. Some of that is true, I'm sure. But I feel like you lose something when you stop rotating. If only fresher legs.

Just a side note...my fav time of the yr. Young players about to get contract extensions(or talks about to begin). Fans love these guys all yr...until their agents ask for "ridiculous $" for playing a gm. Remember it's not your money. Also no NFL team ever goes into cap hell. It's just another excuse to keep fans invested in the off-season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I don't know how much rotating runningbacks might have helped in the past. These guys all have their styles. They hit the hole different, at different speed, different angles. Some games, Coleman's style worked best. Other games, Breida was better. But at some point, Mostert started having monster games, and it feels like Kyle thought "That's it!" and stopped rotating guys. Now, he'll do it in the name of his "rhythm", the same excuse he had for not playing Trey this year. Some of that is true, I'm sure. But I feel like you lose something when you stop rotating. If only fresher legs.

For sure. I’d really love to see Mitchell get less touches to keep his legs fresh. I don’t feel like we’ve really seen his 4.3 speed much and I’m wondering how much of that was his knee, being tired, or indecisiveness.

If Mostert is healthy and wants to be back on a prove it deal, I’d love to see a mixture of Mitchell, Mostert, and Sermon on early downs, and then Hasty in his normal 3rd down role. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sherm said:

Just a side note...my fav time of the yr. Young players about to get contract extensions(or talks about to begin). Fans love these guys all yr...until their agents ask for "ridiculous $" for playing a gm. Remember it's not your money. Also no NFL team ever goes into cap hell. It's just another excuse to keep fans invested in the off-season. 

What do you mean by that? This argument has never made sense to me, we see teams make moves/let guys walk because of cap space all the time.. Bears dumping Charles Leno last year sticks out