49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

On the Brady talk, no move can be made before June 1, https://overthecap.com/player/tom-brady/1250/, he has $32M in prorated bonus left, so if they trade/cut him before June 1 they lose almost $11.73M in cap room, just like if the 49ers were to trade Lance(not sure why they would), but it'd be around $16.5M in prorated bonus, we'd lose close to $9M in cap room.

As for Brady's cap hit if he were to be traded after June 1, it'd be $12,270,588($8.925M base, $1,470,588 roster bonus, & $1.875M LTBE Incentives)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We don't have a first rounder in 2022 or 2023 though.

I don't think this opinion will cause an uproar, some are more than fine with Rodgers as QB. It just changes the landscape of the team since everything is budgeted around Lance's rookie deal. 

No way this will happen, Rodgers is getting moved(if he does) when FA opens on March 16th at 4PM EST, we can't trade Lance before June 1 or we lose almost $9M in cap room, we need Jimmy's money to extend Deebo, Bosa, Aiyuk, etc... long term, that's the advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Give It To Me Need GIF

This is from Sterling Bennett, dude is a joke, said Stafford to SF for day 2 picks, then he got traded the next day(verbally).

2 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

No way this will happen, Rodgers is getting moved(if he does) when FA opens on March 16th at 4PM EST, we can't trade Lance before June 1 or we lose almost $9M in cap room, we need Jimmy's money to extend Deebo, Bosa, Aiyuk, etc... long term, that's the advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal.

This is from Sterling Bennett, dude is a joke, said Stafford to SF for day 2 picks, then he got traded the next day(verbally).

That isn't from Sterling though, he's just quoting something from The Athletic. 

• Like 2

Brady situation: This is the most interesting QB situation, from my perspective. A month ago, when word was circulating through league channels that Brady was considering retirement, some close to the situation indicated the quarterback had grown frustrated with some of the Buccaneers’ coaching. Brady retired, then suggested he would keep open the door for a possible return, in a “never say never” framing.

It’s well-established Brady long hoped to play for the San Francisco 49ers. He rooted for them as a child. It is certainly plausible to think Brady could be content in retirement unless there were a seamless way for him to play one final season with his favorite childhood team, which lost the NFC Championship Game partly because Garoppolo struggled in the late going. For Brady, retiring makes it possible for a trade to materialize more organically.

Brady might not have been willing to force a trade from the Buccaneers to the 49ers, which could have gotten messy and affected his legacy in a negative way, while straining relationships in Tampa that he surely values very much.

By retiring, Brady has gracefully told the Buccaneers he will not play for them again. Tampa Bay has less reason to play hardball with Brady when there’s no chance he will play for them. By leaving open the door to play again, Brady is in position to accept a trade if one can be worked out. He never has to be the bad guy. He doesn’t really have to do anything.

-Mike Sando of The Athletic

So ummmm....this could be a real thing 

I'm torn. On one hand i do believe Lance will be ready day 1 and we have the potential for a Mahomes/Allen QB for the next 10-15 years. He'll have growing pains but i think he'll play well overall in 2022 and be in that top tier from 2023 onwards. 

OTOH the freaking GOAT could be available and i have no doubt in my mind that if we get Brady we win the SB next season. But, does Lance get frustrated and request a trade to a team that will play him? We'd also lose a year of that valuable rookie QB contract. 

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

-Mike Sando of The Athletic

So ummmm....this could be a real thing 

I'm torn. On one hand i do believe Lance will be ready day 1 and we have the potential for a Mahomes/Allen QB for the next 10-15 years. He'll have growing pains but i think he'll play well overall in 2022 and be in that top tier from 2023 onwards. 

OTOH the freaking GOAT could be available and i have no doubt in my mind that if we get Brady we win the SB next season. But, does Lance get frustrated and request a trade to a team that will play him? We'd also lose a year of that valuable rookie QB contract. 

Lance would not request a trade but losing two out of the four/five years of a rookie deal hurt. But the point is to win a SB and with Brady we would be the favorites to do so.

I'd run it with Brady for one season and then hand over the reigns to Lance. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lance would not request a trade but losing two out of the four/five years of a rookie deal hurt. But the point is to win a SB and with Brady we would be the favorites to do so.

I'd run it with Brady for one season and then hand over the reigns to Lance. 

My thoughts exactly! Learn from the GOAT and go from there. Brady still has “it.” 

Lance will have another year getting use to the system, like Kyle says - he wants his qbs at least 2 years learning. 

The thing is Brady and Jimmy have the same agent so if Brady truly is interested in coming here, I'm sure that has been relayed to Brady already. Question is going to be how they can get this done and what the Bucs will want for him? Hypothetically, would you be fine giving up a 3rd rounder for him? Or would you just want him released and sign him that way? 

@49erscap what are the cap implications of a trade compared to signing him as a free agent? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing is Brady and Jimmy have the same agent so if Brady truly is interested in coming here, I'm sure that has been relayed to Brady already. Question is going to be how they can get this done and what the Bucs will want for him? Hypothetically, would you be fine giving up a 3rd rounder for him? Or would you just want him released and sign him that way? 

@49erscap what are the cap implications of a trade compared to signing him as a free agent? 

They can't trade or release Brady before June 2nd, as they'd end up losing $11.73M in cap room, so it be a post June 1 move, he'd make a bit over $12M, but it still defeats the purpose of trading Jimmy, and having a QB on a rookie deal, as for signing him as a FA, it has to be very low, like $5M or less, they can't fit a $25M cap hit for Brady, again that would defeat the purpose of Jimmy being let go, you end up not gaining any cap room, risk losing key FAs.

The Bucs could designate Brady as a Post June 1 cut, meaning he could sign with any team right away, but still, it depends on what salary he wants, I just don't see it happening.

Also I wouldn't give up more than a late day 3 pick, he retired, he has the leverage, not Tampa Bay.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

They can't trade or release Brady before June 2nd, as they'd end up losing $11.73M in cap room, so it be a post June 1 move, he'd make a bit over $12M, but it still defeats the purpose of trading Jimmy, and having a QB on a rookie deal, as for signing him as a FA, it has to be very low, like $5M or less, they can't fit a $25M cap hit for Brady, again that would defeat the purpose of Jimmy being let go, you end up not gaining any cap room, risk losing key FAs.

The Bucs could designate Brady as a Post June 1 cut, meaning he could sign with any team right away, but still, it depends on what salary he wants, I just don't see it happening.

Also I wouldn't give up more than a late day 3 pick, he retired, he has the leverage, not Tampa Bay.

But trading Jimmy and replacing him with a FAR SUPERIOR QB for the same amount DOES make sense. Obviously it will make it tougher to sign all the free agents but the reason you do it to win next season with Brady, Williams, Warner, Kittle, Deebo etc still playing at a high level. 

Got it, so it will have to be a post June-1st cut. We will have to know ASAP though to budget for free agency. If Brady is interested, I'm guessing this moves quickly. Around the same time as Jimmy is traded. 

4 hours ago, 49erscap said:

This is an interesting point. Brady should be able to coax the bucs into just releasing him. Same cap implications as him retiring officially after 6/1 but he is free to sign where he wants and this does not require draft capital going back to Tampa.

How are you going to look Brady in the eye and tell him that you arent going to release him, but instead hold him hostage, after the man played with a torn MCL and won a superbowl for your franchise? He has earned the right to pick where he wants to play. Its like when the Colts cut Peyton Manning. 

If we dont have to trade any picks for him, and he takes the vet min, suddenly I think these rumors might have some legs. I cant believe I am saying it lmao. 

Its wild to think about if Trey had stayed in school another year. He would go #1 overall and Brady would be everyone's #1 choice to replace Garappolo LOL

I buy the rumor that Brady went to Kraft and got Jimmy traded. How ironic that it was to Brady's hometown team and that Brady could ultimately replace him. Maybe Bill knew that Brady eventually wanted to play for the 49ers and that was partly why Bill took less to send Jimmy to SF over other destinations