2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Mina is a goddamn national treasure. Not sure how anyone could think she's a bumbling idiot when she backs up literally everything she says.

She’s more attractive because she’s so damn smart 😁

5 minutes ago, FutureViking09 said:

Indy is definitely not trading a 1st for Ryan after they just lost one for Wentz. Plus rumor is they didn't wanna pay the price for Jimmy which I heard is a 2nd. They're going to sign Mariota

Not wanting to give up a SRP for Jimmy G makes sense.  Giving up a SRP+ for Matt Ryan for a team that views itself as a Super Bowl contender does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What do you think Matt Ryan's trade value is right now?

His trade value to the Falcons or his trade value to other teams?  

I don't know about his value to the Falcons because I don't know how interested they are in extending him past 2023.  Between the Lance speculation last year (not sure how legit that was) and the Watson interest this year, I'd imagine their interest isn't that strong.

For other teams?  I think the absolute best he would go for is a 2nd or multiple 3rds.  Again it is easy to say Ryan would be an upgrade for a lot of teams.  It is an entirely different matter when you look at every team individually and try to make sense of it.  There is no team out there desperate enough or in such a dire position where they would trade a 1st for Ryan.  

And look, I'm not trying to say Ryan is bad or anything.  He's solid.  But he's not nearly good enough to compensate for the fact he's 37 years old with only 2 years left on his deal.  

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If Carolina offered their FRP for Matt Ryan and everyone is offering less, do you think Atlanta would willingly take a lesser package?  No.

No disrespect, but what world do you live in that the Panthers in any scenario would ever offer the #6 overall pick to the Falcons for Matt Ryan

And nobody said you said Ryan was close to Wilson.  But you used Wilson as an example of another team getting a haul, when I'm struggling to figure out its relevancy to Ryan when the situations aren't comparable. Seahawks didn't have to trade Russ.  Russ is way better than Ryan.  Russ is younger than Ryan.  So how does the compensation the Seahawks got for Wilson have anything to do with Ryan?  The situations aren't the same.  The Falcons wouldn't be in the same leverage position as the Seahawks were and they'd be dealing with a worse and older player.

Even Stafford isn't all that comparable.  Stafford was 33 years old going into the season last year.  Ryan will be 37.  If the Panthers offered their FRP for Matt Ryan it would be one of the worst trades I can ever remember.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many teams would see Matt Ryan as a clear upgrade over what they have right now?  There's probably at least a half a dozen teams.  Again, if the Falcons acquired Deshaun Watson, do you really believe that Matt Ryan is going to be content just collecting paychecks and sitting on the bench?

It's not just about being an upgrade. There's financials, team timeline, and a number of other factors to consider as well.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  Because it's mutually beneficial for BOTH sides to find a deal that works.  Are they going to get a Deshaun Watson-esque deal?  Absolutely not.  But we saw Carson Wentz get traded for a large package last offseason.  We saw Russell Wilson get traded for a haul this offseason.  Matt Ryan is probably somewhere in between the two of those.  I don't think Pittsburgh is going to say no because of Trubisky, because they gave him low-end starter/high-end backup money.  But let's assume they're out.  You've got Carolina (unlikely given inter-division), Indianapolis, Cleveland (again, probably not overly likely but still possible), Seattle, and New Orleans (see Carolina) as teams that are probably looking at Matt Ryan. 

The Steelers are absolutely saying no to Ryan for a first round pick. Not because of Trubisky though. We are looking to get younger at QB, we're almost certainly drafting one in the first or maybe second round. Colbert has said before he retires after the draft he wants to leave the Steelers with their new franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

His trade value to the Falcons or his trade value to other teams?  

I don't know about his value to the Falcons because I don't know how interested they are in extending him past 2023.  Between the Lance speculation last year (not sure how legit that was) and the Watson interest this year, I'd imagine their interest isn't that strong.

For other teams?  I think the absolute best he would go for is a 2nd or multiple 3rds.  Again it is easy to say Ryan would be an upgrade for a lot of teams.  It is an entirely different matter when you look at every team individually and try to make sense of it.  There is no team out there desperate enough or in such a dire position where they would trade a 1st for Ryan.  

And look, I'm not trying to say Ryan is bad or anything.  He's solid.  But he's not nearly good enough to compensate for the fact he's 37 years old with only 2 years left on his deal.  

For other teams.  We're operating under the assumption that Falcons have acquired Watson.  The Colts effectively got a 3rd round pick this year and a likely SRP next year for Wentz.  That's a baseline for a Matt Ryan trade.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not wanting to give up a SRP for Jimmy G makes sense.  Giving up a SRP+ for Matt Ryan for a team that views itself as a Super Bowl contender does.

I'm sure Colts felt that way last year and it cost them a pretty decent 1st and out the playoffs. They're not gonna gamble like that again unless it were for Wilson or Watson. Ryan is definitely good and likely would have Stafford like success if Colts made moves like the Rams did. But a lot of that was luck (Miller and ODB preferred LA) plus coaching success (Colts are rebuilding their entire defense staff damn near)

Just now, CWood21 said:

For other teams.  We're operating under the assumption that Falcons have acquired Watson.  The Colts effectively got a 3rd round pick this year and a likely SRP next year for Wentz.  That's a baseline for a Matt Ryan trade.

Dan Snyder is not a baseline for anything and Wentz is 8 years younger.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

It's not just about being an upgrade. There's financials, team timeline, and a number of other factors to consider as well.

And that's why we're excluding teams like the NY Jets, NY Giants, Texans, etc.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

The Steelers are absolutely saying no to Ryan for a first round pick. Not because of Trubisky though. We are looking to get younger at QB, we're almost certainly drafting one in the first or maybe second round. Colbert has said before he retires after the draft he wants to leave the Steelers with their new franchise QB.

But are they going to say no to a Wentz-like package (from the Eagles trade)?  Trubisky doesn't prevent the Steelers from making a move at QB.  It's insurance in case they can't find one.  I think they're likely finding their QB via the draft.

Here is the problem with any Ryan trade.

The second he is traded before June 1st the Falcons eat an extra dead cap of 19 million.

After June 1st they can spread half of the 55 dead to next year.

That puts them 2 million in the red + Watson's salary + draft pick signings.

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's why we're excluding teams like the NY Jets, NY Giants, Texans, etc.

But are they going to say no to a Wentz-like package (from the Eagles trade)?  Trubisky doesn't prevent the Steelers from making a move at QB.  It's insurance in case they can't find one.  I think they're likely finding their QB via the draft.

You mean a 2nd rounder that turns into a 1st based on playing time? Yes absolutely they say no. If we wanted to trade draft capital for a QB, Garoppolo would already be a Steeler. Trubisky does prevent us from going after another veteran because he's our bridge QB. We're going to have him, rookie (most likely), and then Rudolph and Haskins fighting for the last QB roster spot. I would say the odds are very low that they would trade for Ryan at all, but there is a basically 0% chance of them trading significant draft capital for him.

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 1