2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lovie brought it up in his introductory presser, said he “loves” Josh McCown and would love to have him on his staff (that never materialized, though).

The Texans themselves announced the interviews on their Twitter account (he was a candidate during the David Culley interviews, too):

Either a marketing intern is going rogue, or this was an actual discussion.

There is a difference between being interviewed and being a real candidate. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

There is a difference between being interviewed and being a real candidate. 

Realistically, that difference is nominal at absolute best. Texans aren’t interviewing Josh McCown three times in a calendar year, during two different hiring cycles if there was intentions to not bring him in.

He was also the first candidate in this cycle to get a 2nd interview - you don’t bring in a candidate for a 2nd interview unless they’re up for consideration (that’s not even football related, that’s pretty standard outside of football).

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-coach-hire-josh-mccown-interview-david-culley-nick-caserio

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Realistically, that difference is nominal at absolute best. Texans aren’t interviewing Josh McCown three times in a calendar year, during two different hiring cycles if there was intentions to not bring him in.

He was also the first candidate in this cycle to get a 2nd interview - you don’t bring in a candidate for a 2nd interview unless they’re up for consideration (that’s not even football related, that’s pretty standard outside of football).

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-coach-hire-josh-mccown-interview-david-culley-nick-caserio

Got it, he was a real candidate. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Got it, he was a real candidate. 

My speculative stance is that McCown WOULD have been hired if the Brian Flores lawsuit didn’t come up. McCown (with absolutely zero coaching experience at any level) getting hired over Flores (a relatively successful HC) would have gift wrapped that Flores case against the NFL. 

I believe that the Texans made a quick and awkward pivot to Lovie Smith as opposed to following through with McCown. Flores believes this as well, given his inclusion of the Texans in his lawsuit.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ricardo Young posted a picture of he and Deebo on his IG and the caption said, "if it's not 25 mil, we don't want it" 

Its insane that that's the going rate. You guys can afford it until Lance gets his deal (assuming he does).

I hope Ceedee becomes the #1 WR in the NFL the next 2 years and then we trade him for stacks on stacks year 5. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My speculative stance is that McCown WOULD have been hired if the Brian Flores lawsuit didn’t come up. McCown (with absolutely zero coaching experience at any level) getting hired over Flores (a relatively successful HC) would have gift wrapped that Flores case against the NFL. 

I believe that the Texans made a quick and awkward pivot to Lovie Smith as opposed to following through with McCown. Flores believes this as well, given his inclusion of the Texans in his lawsuit.

FWIW, McCown would probably be an excellent HC-in waiting.

Idk what interest he has as a QB coach or OC, but I bet he'd quickly make a mark there. Dude's been coaching at the HS level for like a decade now and always had that "unofficial sideline coach" mentality about him as a player. 

If I were the Texans, I'd try to bring him in in some capacity. HC right off the bat would probably be a disaster, but if Lovie can convince him to come onboard, I see nothing but benefit all around.

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

FWIW, McCown would probably be an excellent HC-in waiting.

Idk what interest he has as a QB coach or OC, but I bet he'd quickly make a mark there. Dude's been coaching at the HS level for like a decade now and always had that "unofficial sideline coach" mentality about him as a player. 

If I were the Texans, I'd try to bring him in in some capacity. HC right off the bat would probably be a disaster, but if Lovie can convince him to come onboard, I see nothing but benefit all around.

On the bold - are you sure you’re not confusing him for his brother Luke McCown? Josh hasn’t coached at any level. He was an assistant with his son’s team last season, when he didn’t get the job over David Culley; His reasoning was that he didn’t want to miss his sons’ play.

As far as Lovie’s staff - I think the offer was on the table for a bit, but McCown declined. OC was already filled with Pep Hamilton and QB coach was later filled by Ted White. By then, the McCown train pretty much stopped. 

I think McCown would have been a good coach, in time. Trying to give him the keys immediately was a disaster of an idea.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

On the bold - are you sure you’re not confusing him for his brother Luke McCown? Josh hasn’t coached at any level. He was an assistant with his son’s team last season, when he didn’t get the job over David Culley; His reasoning was that he didn’t want to miss his sons’ play.

As far as Lovie’s staff - I think the offer was on the table for a bit, but McCown declined. OC was already filled with Pep Hamilton and QB coach was later filled by Ted White. By then, the McCown train pretty much stopped. 

I think McCown would have been a good coach, in time. Trying to give him the keys immediately was a disaster of an idea.

McCown was coaching in various capacities for Marvin Ridge High School from 2010 onwards. He also has been coaching at Rusk since at least 2019, when he was with the Eagles and flipping between QB/WR/High School Coach. The Eagles were letting him fly out every Monday for high school football practices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

McCown was coaching in various capacities for Marvin Ridge High School from 2010 onwards. He also has been coaching at Rusk since at least 2019, when he was with the Eagles and flipping between QB/WR/High School Coach. The Eagles were letting him fly out every Monday for high school football practices.

Interesting, this wasn’t mentioned at all with local sports talk media. Guess he has experience - not what you want in an NFL HC, but he’s got some. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Interesting, this wasn’t mentioned at all with local sports talk media. Guess he has experience - not what you want in an NFL HC, but he’s got some. 

@HoboRocketbeat me to it. 

Yeah, he was an assistant coach at the high school level. Granted, what an  "assistant coach" even is likely varies, at least for scrutinizing a resume (which, as we all seem to agree, his isn't NFL HC worthy yet). Was he on staff? Was he just an NFL player that showed up to practice as a guest? Novelty "coach"? From 18-present, I'm pretty certain it was an actual job. From 10-18, though, could be a whole different story.

It likely makes little difference, but my guess is Houston sports media probably didn't report on it, and for all we know, he didn't even bring it up as "experience" for interview purposes. 

Sort of like I would never walk into a law firm and use my time shuffling papers for my sister's firm after class in high school while hanging out as "law firm experience".

I could be wrong, but either way, as you said, it's sooooo far removed from NFL HC material that it's little more than a fun fact lol

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2