2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

Game manager, does not read defenses, does not have the elite arm talent, and other meaningless phrases...

He's 31-14 on a team that is 8-28 without him. (same team, same years)

His yards per attempt as a 49er is 8.4. The league average is about 7.1

Mahomes is 8.1 with the Chiefs.

Rodgers is at 7.5 while Jimmy was on the 49ers.

Brady is at 7.4 over the same period.

Stafford is 7.8

Jimmy G averaged 29.8 and 29.4 attempts per game in his NFCCG seasons.

Game managers like Ben in 2004 and 2005 average like 22 or 23 per game.

I think the reason so many people call him a game manager is because he is one of the best in the world at one of the most important jobs for a QB, 3rd/4th down conversions.  (data from 2017-2021 sample)  Stathead chart taken from https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/22/qb-conversion-rate-over-last-5-years-shows-interesting-data/

FJQZtVbWYAQf6-i?format=jpg&name=medium

His completed air yards in 2019 were 12th lowest at 5.4. Rodgers was 13th lowest at 5.4

In 2021 he was 25th worst at 5.9 Rodgers was 6th worst at 4.9

In 2017 (5 games) he was 33rd worst at 6.8. Rodgers was 4th worst at 5.0

In 2020 (6 games) he was a terrible 3rd worst at 3.9. Rodgers was 16th worst at 5.5

I think we found our game manager... in Green Bay.

(This is of course in sarcasm font. When you have Deebo or Davante, or Cheetah, you get them the ball fast and let them run. It does not make you less of a QB)

One of the biggest air yards per completion guys right now is Jalen Hurts. He was 1st in 2020 and 9th in 2021. I'm not sure the game manager thing is as big a deal as some people pretend. Trust me when I say that Eagles fans don't exactly love him just the way he is.

Lamar Jackson was 2nd last year and 12th the year before. Do we want Jimmy to be more like Lamar as a passer?

Edited by SkippyX

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Game manager, does not read defenses, does not have the elite arm talent, and other meaningless phrases...

He's 31-14 on a team that is 8-28 without him. (same team, same years)

His yards per attempt as a 49er is 8.4. The league average is about 7.1

Mahomes is 8.1 with the Chiefs.

Rodgers is at 7.5 while Jimmy was on the 49ers.

Brady is at 7.4 over the same period.

Stafford is 7.8

Jimmy G averaged 29.8 and 29.4 attempts per game in his NFCCG seasons.

Game managers like Ben in 2004 and 2005 average like 22 or 23 per game.

I think the reason so many people call him a game manager is because he is one of the best in the world at one of the most important jobs for a QB, 3rd/4th down conversions.  (data from 2017-2021 sample)  Stathead chart taken from https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/22/qb-conversion-rate-over-last-5-years-shows-interesting-data/

FJQZtVbWYAQf6-i?format=jpg&name=medium

His completed air yards in 2019 were 12th lowest at 5.4. Rodgers was 13th lowest at 5.4

In 2021 he was 25th worst at 5.9 Rodgers was 6th worst at 4.9

In 2017 (5 games) he was 33rd worst at 6.8. Rodgers was 4th worst at 5.0

In 2020 (6 games) he was a terrible 3rd worst at 3.9. Rodgers was 16th worst at 5.5

I think we found our game manager... in Green Bay.

Yards per attempt in SFO under Shanahan is weird - all of the clean looks and well designed YAC create situations from a YPA perspective that give a quarterback far more yards per attempt than their ADoT would suggest. Screens and slants and over routes that Kittle and Deebo turn into house calls will do that. Yes, Jimmy has posted an elite YPA, but so did Nick Mullens, who also put up an 8.3 YPA in 2018 and had the second most yards in his first 16 starts in NFL history behind Patrick Mahomes. I don't think any sane person thinks that Nick Mullens is a secretly dominant NFL QB. Trey Lance had an 8.5 YPA last year including a terrible game against Arizona. Jimmy G's third down conversion rate, however, is a real skill. His aggression (to the point of a very high turnover rate) in attacking the intermediate middle of the field means that he does a very good job of keeping a team's chains moving and the defense rested. He just gives a lot of that back by taking sacks and throwing picks. He's not a bad quarterback, but will never be as good as some stats would otherwise suggest.

• Like 2

Do the Browns still have a bunch of cap? How could they afford a Jimmy G trade after trading for Watson and probably getting dead cap for trading Baker?

Does Kareem Hunt get involved in the trade? SF would be a great fit for Hunt.

Edited by Jeezla

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Do the Browns still have a bunch of cap? How could they afford a Jimmy G trade after trading for Watson and probably getting dead cap for trading Baker?

Does Kareem Hunt get involved in the trade? SF would be a great fit for Hunt.

They have the most cap space in the league, but even if they didn't, it wouldn't really matter because Jimmy 100% is going to take a pay cut. 

No, it would be a mid or late round pick. Jimmy for a 4th or 5th or something. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

They have the most cap space in the league, but even if they didn't, it wouldn't really matter because Jimmy 100% is going to take a pay cut. 

No, it would be a mid or late round pick. Jimmy for a 4th or 5th or something. 

4th or 5th is more or less what Hunt would go for, they should just do a straight up Jimmy for Kareem trade.
Their cap guy is a damn wizard.

I wish Nick Mullens had played in 2020 so we could include that in the conversation... oh, he did.

BTW in 2018 he lit up 4-12 Oakland in his first start and was a 10 TD 10 pick 2-5 record QB after that win.

There were lots of 10+ loss teams that he faced in 2018. (4 of his first 5 games were Oakland, NYG, Denver, and Tampa.

Cherry picking should never be taken seriously.

Kevin Kolb put up 718 yards in his first 2 starts. Is that also significant?

He was 5-11 overall with the 49ers with lower stats across the board. His rating is fine, but 11.1 points below Jimmy.

Mullens did play well against Seattle twice but it does not take away from a QB leading his team to 2 NFCCGs with a 98.9 (98.3 on SF) passer rating that would be 5th in NFL history if he had the 1500 attempts to be on the list. (he has 1418)

Edited by SkippyX

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

4th or 5th is more or less what Hunt would go for, they should just do a straight up Jimmy for Kareem trade.

I love this deal. Cleveland will still be 3 deep at RB and Hunt can get paid or at least put up monster numbers to get paid next year.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Hunt has more value to the browns than a 4th/5th does for the Browns. Unless he has made things impossible, there's no reason to give up the more valuable asset to them if the 4th round pick does the trick just as well. 

there's also no real wizardry here. Everyone is largely kicking it in the same sandbox. They are just  in the part of their cycle where their big money extensions haven't hit their back loaded big base salaries yet. The highest base salary on their team right now is Jack Conklin at 8 million. 

MGIII has a 12 million dollar cap hit on a contract that is 25M aav. The next 4 years they are 29, 32, 28.5, 27.5. Watson's contract is set up in a typical manner as well. Low base with higher ones upcoming. The majority of his cap hit is the pro rated signing bonus. He's got a cap hit of less than 10 Milloin on a contact that averages 45 a year. So that mean 55 million a season for the next 4. Wyatt Teller? Denzel Ward, Amari Cooper, Joel Bintonio, David Njoku, Nick Chubb etc. All big jumps coming. That's why you see some cleveland fans (forget who it has been...it actually could be @brownie man) being very mindful of their rollover. They know it's coming. 

Basically, every team in the NFL is just trying to outrun the cap in future years constantly. 

Get to a point where your base salaries are big? Boom, here come the restructures and lets push more into the future. Want to lower your hits to afford more players? Get your void years!