2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's legitimately no genius here. 

We’ve probably got the bear cap strategist in the league. So yeah overall I’d say our department has been genius up to this point. Our biggest problems is that we have to pay good players soon. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

We’ve probably got the bear cap strategist in the league. So yeah overall I’d say our department has been genius up to this point. Our biggest problems is that we have to pay good players soon. 

Based on what? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Based on what? 

The fact we can even have a roster with

Deshaun Chubb Hunt as of now Amari Njocku Bitoni Teller Conklin Myles Clowney and Ward 

the fact we even have all those guys on the roster this year and most locked up for the foreseeable future has been cap wizardry. 

there’s not a team out there with as much young talent locked up as long with a franchise qb contract. Name 1 more 

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Deshaun Chubb Hunt as of now Amari Njocku Bitoni Teller Conklin Myles Clowney and Ward 

the fact we even have all those guys on the roster this year and most locked up for the foreseeable future has been cap wizardry. 

there’s not a team out there with as much young talent locked up as long with a franchise qb contract. Name 1 more 

That's not cap wizardry. That's pretty common. You're in the part of a cycle where everyone has small cap hits because like most contracts, they are back loaded. Next year, the have the 3rd worst cap space in the league and are 32 million over. That's why the roll over is necessary. That starts to bleed. 

The browns were really bad, for a really long time and haven't paid a QB for half a decade, the single most expensive position in the league. You damn well better have been able to stock pile money and roll over cap space. 

What the browns did (outside of Baker), is draft extremely well for about a 3 year window and that's paying dividends now (well, in the cap... Not so much in the standings yet over the years, but I expect that to change)

21 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Allen, Diggs, Knox, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Milano,  Oliver,  Poyer, Hyde

Herbert, Williams, Ekeler,  Slater, Bosa, James, JC Jackson

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Allen, Diggs, Knox, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Milano,  Oliver,  Poyer, Hyde

Herbert, Williams, Ekeler,  Slater, Bosa, James, JC Jackson

I can’t give you the chargers

Herb still on a rookie deal 

Bills are definitely up there but they don’t have a running back they’re paying and Knox hasn’t been paid yet. I don’t think Oliver’s been resigned either if I remember right. Edmunds hasn’t been resigned yet either I believe. 

as opposed to all the Browns I’ve mentioned being under contract for the next 3 years at least. 

Edited by brownie man

22 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Bills are definitely up there but they don’t have a running back they’re paying and Knox hasn’t been paid yet. I don’t think Oliver’s been resigned either if I remember right. Edmunds hasn’t been resigned yet either I believe. 

as opposed to all the Browns I’ve mentioned being under contract for the next 3 years at least. 

Let's be real...the Browns haven't even dealt with the issues presented by having a franchise QB contract, so hard to hold that against the Chargers.  They had Baker on a rookie deal and Watson has a 9 million dollar cap hit this year (which, again, isn't "cap wizardry"...Mahomes' first two years were 5 and 7M cap hits, Allen 10 and 16...this is common practice). He has a cap hit less than 2M higher than Herbert.  

I can't include the 49ers because Bosa hasn't signed, but they aren't going to lose him next year because they can't afford him. That will give them Bosa, Trent, Warner, Kittle, Aiyuk, Deebo, Armstead ,C Ward, etc.  They did most of that (all but Bosa)  while paying Jimmy G a real QB salary. If Lance sucks, they are basically in the same boat as the browns pre-watson, and all they have to do then is wait for Josh Allen to commit 20 sexual assaults and give him a huge contract with a low first year cap hit to fit him in. If Lance is awesome, there ya go. 

The browns deserve a ton of credit for drafting and developing players and then being smart in free agency. There's been nothing super crazy in their cap management at this point. 

But here's what's going to happen, because it always happens. They are going to get to the big base years and they are going to start restructuring guys. They are going to cut guys who fall off a little bit who maybe aren't worth the salary and take a chance that they can get more efficient play for pay. Maybe they trade a guy who they feel has a lot of value but they don't want pay long term, etc. 

I remember when people said the Chiefs were set up forever. I am old enough to remember Howie Roseman the genius. 

Again, pretty much everyone is kicking around in the same sandbox. Undoubtedly there are some who are better than others at navigating the cap, but honestly, player evaluation / drafting / developing plays a much bigger role in this all. Like, truly navigating the cap and making things work is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be on here. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Herbert is " locked up" for 3 more years on a better contract.

39 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Correct on Edmunds is on the 5th year rookie deal

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

My major part of my point was to compare teams with Franchise QB contract. I’ll specify non-rookie was my intention on the topic. 

As @Forgehas noted, Cleveland is in tight cap situation in 2023 and 2024.  The contracts have been structured be like many teams before them with movable money.  Also going to make it harder to add pieces in FA or draft

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

How is that wizardry? Those are front loaded contracts, lol.

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

As @Forgehas noted, Cleveland is in tight cap situation in 2023 and 2024.  The contracts have been structured be like many teams before them with movable money.  Also going to make it harder to add pieces in FA or draft

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

How is that wizardry? Those are front loaded contracts, lol.

Who needs to overpay in free agency when you have top talent locked up? That’s the whole point of the game. No matter how they had to get it done they figured out a way. 

Look at Dallas. They’re in an actual bad cap situation without the young talent. We’re not headed that direction. So it’s not like the Browns couldn’t have messed up to this point. We didn’t put Chubb on a stupid contract like they did with Zeke. We don’t have to let’s a player like Amari go for a 5th when we traded a first just for cap purposes. 

To act like the Browns haven’t made the right cap moves when they could’ve made the wrong ones is discrediting the FO. It could’ve definitely went south and we could look like the Giants or Cowboys who have handed out irresponsible contracts left and right.