Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

59 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Zimmer hired Norv, who he had no direct connection with, outside of knowing the same people.  How did that work out?  It was so bad that one quit in the middle of the season.  Sometimes it's better to hire the people you know you can work with.

He didn't have any connection with D'fillipo either did he? 

Don't know much about Pleasant but he impress me with the second Vikings vs Lions game. Their secondary was depleted yet he coached them so well. They were passing off coverage in zone and very few breakdowns in communications. Well prepared unit.

Ranking DC's candidates:

1 Desai 

2 Pleasant 

3 Weaver 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Zimmer hired Norv, who he had no direct connection with, outside of knowing the same people.  How did that work out?  It was so bad that one quit in the middle of the season.  Sometimes it's better to hire the people you know you can work with.

That often leads to not hiring diverse candidates. And that doesn’t have to mean skin color. Good coaches, managers and leaders should always be looking to branch out beyond their usual comfort zone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

He didn't have any connection with D'fillipo either did he? 

No...and based on rumors and conjecture from PA, I don't think Zimmer ever truly wanted him.  He was sort of forced to hire him by Spielman and others in the organization.   

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No...and based on rumors and conjecture from PA, I don't think Zimmer ever truly wanted him.  He was sort of forced to hire him by Spielman and others in the organization.   

Actually, from some articles I’ve read and podcasts from some local insiders, it was actually Tony Sparano that urged Zimmer to hire DeFillipo. Sparano was recognizing how the league was changing. 

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Actually, from some articles I’ve read and podcasts from some local insiders, it was actually Tony Sparano that urged Zimmer to hire DeFillipo. Sparano was recognizing how the league was changing. 

That would make sense.

Regarding Pleasant.

Jalen Ramsey also had high praise to Rams CBs coach Aubrey Pleasant: "In my opinion, this is the best body of work that I've put out in the NFL, and a lot of that is thanks to him." Said Pleasant "for sure" has the skillset to get looks as a defensive coordinator.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/25/detroit-lions-interviewing-rams-cb-coach-aubrey-pleasant-for-db-coach-job/

Brandon Staley had some nice things to say about Pleasant as well in that article.

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Regarding Pleasant.

Jalen Ramsey also had high praise to Rams CBs coach Aubrey Pleasant: "In my opinion, this is the best body of work that I've put out in the NFL, and a lot of that is thanks to him." Said Pleasant "for sure" has the skillset to get looks as a defensive coordinator.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/25/detroit-lions-interviewing-rams-cb-coach-aubrey-pleasant-for-db-coach-job/

Brandon Staley had some nice things to say about Pleasant as well in that article.

To me, making Ramsey better is great and all, but it's what he's done with the other DBs with the Rams and now last year with the Lions to turn them into decent NFL starters. These are not heralded high draft picks so that is a marker of encouragement for me that he knows how to coach. Now, does he know how to scheme and attack offenses? That's something we don't know because he's never been a coordinator before but if he's hired, I'm going to trust the new leadership that they believe he can...until he shows that he can't

Edited by battle2heaven

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

To me, making Ramsey better is great and all, but it's what he's done with the other DBs with the Rams and now last year with the Lions to turn them into decent NFL starters. These are not heralded high draft picks so that is a marker of encouragement for me that he knows how to coach. Now, does he know how to scheme and attack offenses? That's something we don't know because he's never been a coordinator before but if he's hired, I'm going to trust the new leadership that they believe he can...until he shows that he can't

I agree 100%. Sounds like Lions fans would be very upset to lose him.

Just wanted to provide something for people to check out, it is possible it was posted previously but I hadn't seen it.