Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

On 2/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, battle2heaven said:

Sean Desai is going to the Seahawks essentially in a similar role to what they had Donatell for. Seems like Vikings made the choice; I wish they were able to bring Asai over in some capacity, ugh. 

No it is not a similar role, he is the associate head coach on defense.

“No. 1, the autonomy in which the game plans and the overall coaching structure would work,” Heaps said. “… Sean Desai wanted to not just be a member of the staff but to have a say and to have a clear working relationship in terms of putting together game plans, how all that’s going to come together. He got the assurances he needed on that end. Very big.”

“If you’re not going to be the defensive coordinator, if you’re not going to be the one that’s getting the credit for calling the plays on gameday, then there’s got to be a title and money involved and Pete Carroll came through on that final part with the associate head coaching title and obviously, what comes with that is very fair compensation,” Heaps said.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1574452/heaps-sean-desai-assurances-to-join-seahawks/

To me Desai's role in Seattle is better than just a typical DC role, not to mention he also is probably the head coach in waiting if they like him which they obviously do.  

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’ll be curious to see what Pettine’s title will be. His only position coaching experience is as an outside linebackers coach back with the Ravens. 

Well we will need one of those now. 

i wouldn’t be shocked if it’s just a senior advisor role that seems to be so popular these days either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Well we will need one of those now. 

i wouldn’t be shocked if it’s just a senior advisor role that seems to be so popular these days either. 

Probably right. Although it’s interesting that, on the surface, it seems as though Pettine and Donatell come from two different schools of the 3-4 defense.

I like the experience that they are putting on the defensive side of the ball. 

Edited by SemperFeist

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

seems like.... put the young guys in control of decision making and planning, and have the older veterans in the background as advisors.

not a bad schematic, really.

It’s a blueprint that’s worked plenty of times before it. McVay did it when he took over the Rams. LaFluer has done it with Green Bay. Even Mike Zimmer’s best years were when he had significantly experienced coaches running the offense. 

• Like 1