Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

should've made him your DC tbh 

He is impressive because sure the Packers OLBs have been impressive, but Preston Smith was already a proven player and productive player before coming to Green Bay.  Za'Darius Smith was as well arguably, or at least was treading in the right direction and he hit on Green Bay and took his game to another level.  Rashan Gary was the 12th pick overall for a reason so his success is not a huge surprise considering how absolutely great of an athlete he was at his size.

So outside of those three superstar type 3/4 edge rushers, it is not like Green Bay was all that elite at OLB.  Good no doubt but not sure he should be a DC because good players played well.  If he can make the Vikings that good on the edges sure but no way those three players are walking in the door and if they cut Hunter they could really have some problems but will see.  

Will be curious who they fill in for the lineup and where they put each player.  I wonder if they go for Nakobe Dean at 12th overall since Kendricks might be out and even if he is not, at least they get speed and an impact player that knows a 3/4 defense and has coverage speed.  I think Gardner and Stingley are gone and so are possibly both big time safeties, maybe Jermaine Johnson could be it but he is more of a 4/3 guy to me and would be much better in a 4/3 but will see how he times out.  

I do agree Donatell is not a great hire at DC but is just ok, same with Pettine, Donatell for sure I think looked real good recently well over the last 10 years because he was with Fangio and was under Fangio that entire time.  

Edited by Ozzy

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He is impressive because sure the Packers OLBs have been impressive, but Preston Smith was already a proven player and productive player before coming to Green Bay.  Za'Darius Smith was as well arguably, or at least was treading in the right direction and he hit on Green Bay and took his game to another level.  Rashan Gary was the 12th pick overall for a reason so his success is not a huge surprise considering how absolutely great of an athlete he was at his size.

So outside of those three superstar type 3/4 edge rushers, it is not like Green Bay was all that elite at OLB.  Good no doubt but not sure he should be a DC because good players played well.  If he can make the Vikings that good on the edges sure but no way those three players are walking in the door and if they cut Hunter they could really have some problems but will see.  

Will be curious who they fill in for the lineup and where they put each player.  I wonder if they go for Nakobe Dean at 12th overall since Kendricks might be out and even if he is not, at least they get speed and an impact player that knows a 3/4 defense and has coverage speed.  I think Gardner and Stingley are gone and so are possibly both big time safeties, maybe Jermaine Johnson could be it but he is more of a 4/3 guy to me and would be much better in a 4/3 but will see how he times out.  

I don't think they'll just cut hunter. They can easily convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus and his cap hit is way more manageable. If Hunter doesn't want to be here, they will trade him. To just outright cut him would be criminal roster management. 

I love Nakobe Dean. The way they KO talked about Kendricks, I don't think hes going anywhere. With that said, you don't really need to spend high level picks or top tier money on two inside LBs in a 3-4 scheme. You can pretty much grab that 2nd ILB off the scrap heap and be fine. If Kendricks is gone, then yes, I think Dean is a possibility. If Kendricks is still here by the draft, then Dean is probably not on the radar.

I would be content with a pass rusher at 12. Jermaine Johnson is a beast. I think he would be fine in a 4-3 scheme or a multiple front scheme. His goal is to get to the QB anyways. 

They aren't cutting Hunter.  They'll either renegotiate his deal or trade him.  Like with Cousins, you aren't cutting a player of his stature.  They aren't going to just eat the $7.5M in dead money that they'd have doing so.

I'm super glad that Daronte is back.  I liked him tenfold better than that guy they had this year.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They aren't cutting Hunter.  They'll either renegotiate his deal or trade him.  Like with Cousins, you aren't cutting a player of his stature.  They aren't going to just eat the $7.5M in dead money that they'd have doing so.

I'm super glad that Daronte is back.  I liked him tenfold better than that guy they had this year.  

Based on?

14 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Based on?

I liked where the DBs were going in 2020.  They weren't great, but they were progressing as the year went on (well, outside of those randos that they were forced to start at the end of the year who had no business even playing in the league).  Last year, I didn't see any progression from the DBs from the start of the season to the end...in fact, some of them even seemed to regress, most notably, Mackensie.  It may just simply be an illusion, but I didn't really like any of their DB play at all last season, period. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

gawd no. what's his trade value? it ain't low.

No way we're cutting Hunter. No matter how low his trade value is, it's higher than straight up cutting him.

That said, his trade value is probably at it's lowest point right now. He didn't play in 2020 and ended the season on IR in 2021. He has a large cap hit and will require a large contract extension before he plays a down next year. We aren't getting multiple 1st round picks. I think we'd be lucky to pull a late 1st round pick or a couple of conditional 2nd or 3rd round picks based on playing time.

Hunter is worth more to us than we would receive from another team. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

No way we're cutting Hunter. No matter how low his trade value is, it's higher than straight up cutting him.

That said, his trade value is probably at it's lowest point right now. He didn't play in 2020 and ended the season on IR in 2021. He has a large cap hit and will require a large contract extension before he plays a down next year. We aren't getting multiple 1st round picks. I think we'd be lucky to pull a late 1st round pick or a couple of conditional 2nd or 3rd round picks based on playing time.

yes, i assumed that's where it would be too.

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Hunter is worth more to us than we would receive from another team. 

not if he isn't healthy. let another team deal with that uncertainty, i say. or propose for discussion.

Just now, vike daddy said:

yes, i assumed that's where it would be too.

not if he isn't healthy. let another team deal with that uncertainty, i say. or propose for discussion.

The nature of Hunter's injuries don't scream "injury prone" or "re-injury." Torn Pectorals usually heal completely with little risk of reinjury. Maybe Hunter is injury prone, but for a player of his caliber, I think you assume that risk because he is absolutely special when healthy. Injuries are always a hard thing to predict. Some guys are Brett Favre, and others are JJ Watt. 

Extending Hunter is a gamble, but trading him for scratchoff tickets is a gamble too. When healthy, he's a known commodity. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

he had a neck injury, a major one. doesn't seem wise to have an occupation where a daily activity id slamming your head in to another guy slamming in to you.

A neck injury that he showed he was fully healed from, and which showed no signs of hampering his ability as a pass rusher. 

• Like 2