Who’s Linked To O'Connell: Filling Out The Staff

gopherwrestler

But to go off of the Pettine connection, O’Connell’s first coaching job was under Pettine, he also worked with Anthony Weaver and Jim O’Neil. Anthony Weaver is the current defensive line coach/run game coordinator for the Ravens. While Jim O’Neil is the defensive coordinator for Northwestern. O’Neil also went with O’Connell to San Francisco in 2016. 

Edited by SemperFeist

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well we will have a 3-4 defense kind of sorta with him. Not much blitzing, shouldn’t let up to many big plays. 

What does that mean for our IDL Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts and Lynch. Do they all have a spot. What about Richardson?

And who will be edge, Hunter and Wonnum? Do they fit? Probably need another I’d imagine.

Id assume Kendricks will remain at ILB. Is there another LB on the roster who can play alongside him or is this a need with a Pettine defense. 

Secondary needs to be gutted regardless of DC.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

What does that mean for our IDL Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts and Lynch. Do they all have a spot. What about Richardson?

And who will be edge, Hunter and Wonnum? Do they fit? Probably need another I’d imagine.

Id assume Kendricks will remain at ILB. Is there another LB on the roster who can play alongside him or is this a need with a Pettine defense. 

Secondary needs to be gutted regardless of DC.

The Vikings personnel fits very favorably to a switch to a 3-4. 

Tomlinson, Pierce, and Richardson (if they keep him) all have significant experience in a 3-4. Lynch, Watts, and Willekes also fit the profile from a physical standpoint. 

Hunter is the type of athlete who can likely do anything. While Wonnum might be better suited for a stand up edge rushing role.

Linebackers would likely need a bit of a tweak. I’m sure Kendricks would fit, but I’d have doubts about some of the backups. Barr definitely fits if they decide to bring him back, and he’s cheap enough. 

And the secondary needs help regardless of how the front 7 lineup. 

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings personnel fits very favorably to a switch to a 3-4. 

Tomlinson, Pierce, and Richardson (if they keep him) all have significant experience in a 3-4. Lynch, Watts, and Willekes also fit the profile from a physical standpoint. 

Hunter is the type of athlete who can likely do anything. While Wonnum might be better suited for a stand up edge rushing role.

Linebackers would likely need a bit of a tweak. I’m sure Kendricks would fit, but I’d have doubts about some of the backups. Barr definitely fits if they decide to bring him back, and he’s cheap enough. 

And the secondary needs help regardless of how the front 7 lineup. 

Wouldn’t have an interest in bringing Barr back. Maybe Vigil. What about all those undersized athletic LBs we’ve drafted over the years. Are they a waste outside of special teams? Lynch, Surratt, Dye?

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn’t have an interest in bringing Barr back. Maybe Vigil. What about all those undersized athletic LBs we’ve drafted over the years. Are they a waste outside of special teams? Lynch, Surratt, Dye?

Lynch and Surratt probably have the size and athleticism. Especially depending on the actual 3-4 scheme. 

Dye probably doesn’t have the necessary bulk to play consistently in any front. 

Edited by SemperFeist

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'll always consider Harbaugh a Pipedream.

Except he wasn't a pipe dream... Had the Vikings offered him a job he would have taken it. No hoping or wishing necessary.

“There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn’t get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the (Minnesota) Vikings.

“For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, ‘I’m gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they (Minnesota) have 100 percent conviction on this, then it’s something I’m gonna do.”

Demeco Ryans was not a realistic possibility as he withdrew his name from consideration. He won't come here as DC either, he wants to be in SF.

I am a little surprised that Ryans didn't take the interview. I certainly would have advised him to do so. 

Even if he didn’t believe he was going to get the job, or didn’t think the Vikings were the perfect fit for him, going through an interview like that would have provided him with invaluable experience for future interviews. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I am a little surprised that Ryans didn't take the interview. I certainly would have advised him to do so. 

Even if he didn’t believe he was going to get the job, or didn’t think the Vikings were the perfect fit for him, going through an interview like that would have provided him with invaluable experience for future interviews. 

the guy obviously has a strong streak of loyalty in him, and wanted to demonstrate it to the SF organization and fans, i'd say.