Raiders hiring Patrick Graham as DC

Jraider91

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Great get, Raiders fans! 😎

Glad he’s out of the division and hopefully he gets a HC job in a year or two.

Have to be honest and say I don't know much about him.

Giants fans - What does he bring to the role? What type of coverages does he prefer, is he a guy that blitzes regularly? I've only seen the Giants a couple times this year and would be lying if I said I really watched intently what they were doing on D. Lawrence and Williams seem to be the heart of that D but we have no-one like that at all 😀

9 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tell me more about him?

Smart, young, adaptable guy who players love. He's a modern day defensive coordinator- adapts to his players and has a heavy, heavy emphasis on preventing the big play. This leads to his defenses falling under the 'bend but don't break' category. His ideal defense, that we tried to get the personnel here for but couldn't, his heavy man usage and blitzing, but the Giants couldn't get him even while blitzing last year so he completely changed the defense a few games into the season. Raiders can get home without blitzing, which is great. He has won us 2 games by drawing up plays on a napkin the night before a game and those plays leading to easy interceptions in the final minutes. Normally, for other DCs, you talk about players you need for a DC to run their defense, but Pat will adapt to whatever you've got.

Honestly, this is for the best. We fired Joe Judge, his best friend, and are being sued by Brian Flores, his other really good friend. While he loves the NY area and the Giants, he really probably didn't want to be here anymore given the circumstances. And we shouldn't keep him as a hostage. He gets to coach under his other friend now, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Judge go over to LV as special teams coach. The good news is there are a lot of good DCs just actively available right now- Fangio, Desai, Martindale, Zimmer, and I'm sure I'm even missing a few more. Hopefully the Giants find a suitable replacement. 

Also, enjoy the 1 year of him, because he'll probably be the head coach of Carolina or something next year. 

• Like 9

I want to follow that above post up with one big negative- his 2 minute defense is pretty poor, both at the end of the half and end of the game. We gave up something like 76 points at the end of the first half (last 2 minutes) this year, which is god awful. We forced a decent amount of turnovers at the end of games, but that was the only way we were able to close out games for the most part. 

Another note, although not a negative, is Graham's defenses normally don't reflect great in 'advanced defensive metrics'. This is because he changes the gameplan week to week and will gladly let teams run for 200 yards in a game, for example, if it means the pass game is limited and points scored are ultimately less. 

If you want to see probably the best defensive gameplan he put together while he was in NY, watch the Seahawks game from 2020. Both WFT games from 2020 are fun as well, and you've probably seen this one already, but the Raiders game from this past year was pretty good as well and also exemplifies the point I made about relying on turnovers to close out games.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Smart, young, adaptable guy who players love. He's a modern day defensive coordinator- adapts to his players and has a heavy, heavy emphasis on preventing the big play. This leads to his defenses falling under the 'bend but don't break' category. His ideal defense, that we tried to get the personnel here for but couldn't, his heavy man usage and blitzing, but the Giants couldn't get him even while blitzing last year so he completely changed the defense a few games into the season. Raiders can get home without blitzing, which is great. He has won us 2 games by drawing up plays on a napkin the night before a game and those plays leading to easy interceptions in the final minutes. Normally, for other DCs, you talk about players you need for a DC to run their defense, but Pat will adapt to whatever you've got.

Honestly, this is for the best. We fired Joe Judge, his best friend, and are being sued by Brian Flores, his other really good friend. While he loves the NY area and the Giants, he really probably didn't want to be here anymore given the circumstances. And we shouldn't keep him as a hostage. He gets to coach under his other friend now, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Judge go over to LV as special teams coach. The good news is there are a lot of good DCs just actively available right now- Fangio, Desai, Martindale, Zimmer, and I'm sure I'm even missing a few more. Hopefully the Giants find a suitable replacement. 

Also, enjoy the 1 year of him, because he'll probably be the head coach of Carolina or something next year. 

Hoping this isn't the case. This is the one reason I also would have been happy with Desai.

23 hours ago, Trojan said:

I haven't the faintest idea if he would be available, but is there a chance Patrick Graham could lure Leonard Williams in a trade situation? As a trade he'd open the Giants books quite a bit for a new regime and he'd fit one of the Raiders biggest needs exceptionally well.

Frankly I'd be delighted if you took Williams' contract off our hands. That was another Gettleman-era decision that didn't age well.

Patrick Graham is widely respected and well-liked by players. Our staff (Daboll included) wanted to keep him on. He brought our defense within the top ten in 2020 then regressed noticeably in 2021--partly because the offense couldn't stay on the field in most games, but also due to him being really attached to soft zone coverage... whether it was working or not. 😅 But all in all, the Raiders got a good DC.