Raiders hiring Patrick Graham as DC

Jraider91

1) Not surprised he didn't want to stay in NY. Hard to interview for a higher spot at your job, not get it and be asked to stay on to help someone from the outside who did. He's been very adamant in never disparaging Jones/the offense but I get not wanting to spend another year propping that up.

2) Kudos to Josh and the staff that they were able to lure him. He obviously wants to be a HC and I like that he thinks the best way to do that is to have some success against Herbert/Mahomes and maybe Rodgers/Wilson (if DEN gets either). Shows a lot of confidence in his abilities.

29 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Only thing I hate about this hire is I expect we'll only have him for one year until he become a HC elsewhere. 

I am really excited about the hire...think he will be really good. However, this is the concern, the players just learned Bradley's defense and improved toward the end of the year and we change DC again, then maybe in a year he could be off and we are in the same place yet again. The teams that have the better defenses year to year tend to have a bit of consistency with the playcaller. 

That having been said I would rather have Graham for a year than someone bad for four years! :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, reddevil said:

Wouldn’t it be a novel feeling to go into a draft having a degree of confidence that those first 2-3 picks were actually players that we expect to be picked at that position? 

I’m not expecting every player to turn out to be a success, but I think it’s about time that we had a FO who didn’t reach or do something unexpected every year with the early picks.

I’ve forever watched organisations like the Steelers and Ravens select the first rounders you expect them to take. Like - you hear the name called and go, ‘Of course. Good pick’. 

I will be very anxiously waiting for the  first pick of the new FO. I so badly hope (and feel at least a bit optimistic) that it’s a player that was projected to go around 22. 

Exactly in 2019 though I liked Ferrell, but Josh Allen was the obvious pick by most accounts. In 2020 it was CeeDee Lamb and any CB not named Arnette but I was high on Jaylon Johnson some here really liked AJ Terrell too. In 2021 we knew Safety and RT was our top targets Nobody had Leatherwood as a 1st round pick I personally had Moehrig with our 1st and Cosmi with our 2nd which seems better and that's without the trade up and giving up a pick. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

I am really excited about the hire...think he will be really good. However, this is the concern, the players just learned Bradley's defense and improved toward the end of the year and we change DC again, then maybe in a year he could be off and we are in the same place yet again. The teams that have the better defenses year to year tend to have a bit of consistency with the playcaller. 

That having been said I would rather have Graham for a year than someone bad for four years! :) 

This is a valid concern. I'm sure he'll bring in a couple of his guys to help with the adjustment but that's to be seen. I just saw what Bradley did with that horrendous defense in just one year. I'm betting on Graham to do the same

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is a valid concern. I'm sure he'll bring in a couple of his guys to help with the adjustment but that's to be seen. I just saw what Bradley did with that horrendous defense in just one year. I'm betting on Graham to do the same

I think it is more about how do we build an identity if the DC rotates all the time.

54 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

I think it is more about how do we build an identity if the DC rotates all the time.

The Rams are in the super bowl again and they have completely different OC and DC from the last time they went. It can be done when you have the talent. 

52 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

The Rams are in the super bowl again and they have completely different OC and DC from the last time they went. It can be done when you have the talent. 

Their talent across the roster is through the roof.  It's insane what other teams are willing to give them.  They just wait for superstars to become disgruntled and then just trade them for picks and get guaranteed production.  I'm surprised there isn't another team in the NFL trying to do just as much as they do.