Is Blake playing his way into an extension?

pwny

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The thing is though, I'm not sure how often getting way behind is going to happen with how we've built this team. The team is allowing like 14 PPG (11.42 if you take out that TEN game where our defense got gassed and the offense were flagged multiple times for holding on every drive).

I'm not sure Blake will ever be anything more than that game manager/keep teams in the game but the run game/defense runs the show. That's fine though with the setup we have. Obviously you prefer to have a franchise guy, but don't let Blake go and toss a rookie in there without knowing if they can manage the game/not make crucial mistakes that cost us games (which this year, Blake hasn't done).

The problem is that eventually he’s going to have to make a play in a high pressure situation when the defense knows we’re passing. It doesn’t matter if we’re behind 21 in the 3rd or 10 with 8 minutes to go. Those moments are effectively the same insofar as they go.

Blake’s issues with turnovers always come up when he’s forced to play hero ball. During the Gus years, they’d play neutered offense for the first 35 minutes of a game and then ask him to be the entire offense for the last 25 after they got down big. He’d make plays to get them back into games, but he’d also make disastrous decisions when trying to bring the team from behind. Those mistakes didn’t always happen down 21, they happen down 7 too.

We have to find out if Blake can manage those situations and not play hero ball. He has to be able to - throughout the entire course of games - balance big play game breaking shots with methodical consistency. They’ve done a pretty decent job of scheming that up the last two games and he’s done a good job within that. But those games also didn’t come with very many pressure moments. He needs to be able to do that in a dog fight in big moments with the game on the line.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The problem is that eventually he’s going to have to make a play in a high pressure situation when the defense knows we’re passing. It doesn’t matter if we’re behind 21 in the 3rd or 10 with 8 minutes to go. Those moments are effectively the same insofar as they go.

Blake’s issues with turnovers always come up when he’s forced to play hero ball. During the Gus years, they’d play neutered offense for the first 35 minutes of a game and then ask him to be the entire offense for the last 25 after they got down big. He’d make plays to get them back into games, but he’d also make disastrous decisions when trying to bring the team from behind. Those mistakes didn’t always happen down 21, they happen down 7 too.

We have to find out if Blake can manage those situations and not play hero ball. He has to be able to - throughout the entire course of games - balance big play game breaking shots with methodical consistency. They’ve done a pretty decent job of scheming that up the last two games and he’s done a good job within that. But those games also didn’t come with very many pressure moments. He needs to be able to do that in a dog fight in big moments with the game on the line.

Exactly.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

And it's especially true when you're trying to brawl your way through the playoffs (which is where this team should have its aim firmly fixed).  You're playing the best, in a pitched battle with extra emphasis on finding a weakness in that particular team.  Nobody is going to have to look far to think Blake might be that weak link to challenge.  Need to see if he can hold it together and stick to the plan, trust the system, etc. etc. when the heat is cranked up like that.

It's one thing to comfortably ride out games against bad teams like the Colts or Bengals.  It's another thing entirely to stay in that happy place when it's Belichick and Brady over on that other sideline, and all the marbles are up for grabs.

• 3 weeks later...

This is depressing to look back at.

The ups and very deep low's that is Blake Bortles.

I'm ready for the saga to end. At least having games like the ones today should make it impossible to not have a new vet/rookie QB on the roster that can legitimately start next year imo. One bright spot.

Make the playoffs, hopefully get a home playoff game/win a playoff game, and let's go into next year with something hopefully resembling an NFL starting caliber QB with a very talented (and still young) defense that can hand it off to Fournette (who also doesn't fit well at all with Bortles at QB).  

Image result for do it gif

Give Blake an big extension.  I mean like Matt Stafford big.  Something that shows him how much he should stay on the team forever.

Seriously, I liked Blake coming out. I thought he'd be better than he has been overall.  If the Jags want him to Dilfer them to a Super Bowl, go for it. As a Titans fan, I'll take those odds.  He has played better this year than last. With Leonard out, he upped his numbers. However, I personally wouldn't trust him as the QB of my team, long term.  I don't like the unpredictable nature of his career.  If I was a Jags fan, I'd much rather roll the dice on a more consistent player like Cousins, Alex Smith, Manning or draft a guy. 
If they do keep Blake, it would be franchise malpractice not to invest in a very high quality player to compete or back him up. 

This current team (Jags) could be undefeated if they had a QB that could push the ball down the field  or simply not turn the ball over.  I say a pass chart from I think it was the Cardinals game, where he didn't throw the ball past 10 yards.  That's hard for any NFL offense to function.

So yeah, give him the money. Maybe he is a leader in the locker room. Maybe the team plays for him. Maybe the organization believes in him. But to me, Bortles is always good for at least an INT or two and/or a WTF throw or two.  Hurns and Robinson bail him out a lot (From what I see).  Seems like the team would be selling themselves short or settling if they rely on Blake to lead them going forward.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, .Buzz said:

The thing is though, I'm not sure how often getting way behind is going to happen with how we've built this team. The team is allowing like 14 PPG (11.42 if you take out that TEN game where our defense got gassed and the offense were flagged multiple times for holding on every drive).

I'm not sure Blake will ever be anything more than that game manager/keep teams in the game but the run game/defense runs the show. That's fine though with the setup we have. Obviously you prefer to have a franchise guy, but don't let Blake go and toss a rookie in there without knowing if they can manage the game/not make crucial mistakes that cost us games (which this year, Blake hasn't done).

I'd caution about relying on a running game to keep the team a float.  We've seen this year offensive lines that performed well last year, underachieve this year. (Titans, Raiders, Cowboys). Running games have suffered. Not that it's a trend, but it's worth remembering.
If Blake HAS to have a running game to be respectful as a QB, then I'd make a change after this year.

Things can change so quick in the NFL. Can Leonard handle the type of workload he has had again? Will the offensive line still be able to block effectively, after DC's have a year of study against the offense and Fournette? Can the defense stay at the top flight level?  Questions every team has to answer in their own way, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going forward with a QB that needs so much to go right around him to be respectable.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:55 AM, KingTitan said:

Things can change so quick in the NFL. Can Leonard handle the type of workload he has had again? Will the offensive line still be able to block effectively, after DC's have a year of study against the offense and Fournette? Can the defense stay at the top flight level?  Questions every team has to answer in their own way, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going forward with a QB that needs so much to go right around him to be respectable.

This is so true. The simple fact is that this defense is going to regress a lot.

Calais Campbell is 31 years old. While his game being predicated on technique more than raw skill translates to having a longer career as skill deteriorates, he’s never going to have a season like he’s currently having again. He’s such a driving force in this front being able to do what they do without blitzing, he sets up the entire defense for success more than anyone else out there. And he’s simply not going to be able to fully replicate what he’s doing this year in years forward.

We have played a combined, across 11 positions, ZERO games without a starter on defense. That is unheard of, and simply is impossible to replicate. While all 10 base defense starters that we want back (Poz being 11) will be back to play next year, we aren’t going to get this type of health success again. We’re likely going to lose someone for the near entire year, and have a few guys missing games here and there. 

And quite frankly, our depth across the roster is garbage. The only position I’d be even remotely confident about a starter going down and the unit as a whole not crumbling to pieces is CB, but with Colvin likely leaving in Free Agency, I don’t see that being the case for that group next year without some quality talent brought in. If one of Yan or CC goes out, that pass rush is DOA without blitzing a lot, which screws with the things the back end is doing. If Telvin or Jack go out for any extended period of time, I don’t see whoever steps in not being a complete liability that can be schemed to take advantage of. Brown did some okay things in relief of Telvin last week, but he’s not going to have that success when a good QB is executing a game plan to take advantage of him, as opposed to Blaine Gabbert executing a game plan that was supposed to stay away from Telvin.

That’s not to say they’re going to be garbage. But they’re not going to be a unit that takes over games and wills an offense without firepower to wins like they have this season. The offense needs to pick up the slack and put the defense in a position that they can still win games. We can’t have a “run the ball and rely on the defense” road to victory. The pass game needs to put up points if we want to get to a Super Bowl and be an actual good team 

But if the team wants to be a “will they be good enough to sneak into the playoffs?” type team every year, I guess they can go ahead and take that route. But I’m really not down to be the 2001-2007 Ravens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

This is so true. The simple fact is that this defense is going to regress a lot.

Calais Campbell is 31 years old. While his game being predicated on technique more than raw skill translates to having a longer career as skill deteriorates, he’s never going to have a season like he’s currently having again. He’s such a driving force in this front being able to do what they do without blitzing, he sets up the entire defense for success more than anyone else out there. And he’s simply not going to be able to fully replicate what he’s doing this year in years forward.

We have played a combined, across 11 positions, ZERO games without a starter on defense. That is unheard of, and simply is impossible to replicate. While all 10 base defense starters that we want back (Poz being 11) will be back to play next year, we aren’t going to get this type of health success again. We’re likely going to lose someone for the near entire year, and have a few guys missing games here and there. 

And quite frankly, our depth across the roster is garbage. The only position I’d be even remotely confident about a starter going down and the unit as a whole not crumbling to pieces is CB, but with Colvin likely leaving in Free Agency, I don’t see that being the case for that group next year without some quality talent brought in. If one of Yan or CC goes out, that pass rush is DOA without blitzing a lot, which screws with the things the back end is doing. If Telvin or Jack go out for any extended period of time, I don’t see whoever steps in not being a complete liability that can be schemed to take advantage of. Brown did some okay things in relief of Telvin last week, but he’s not going to have that success when a good QB is executing a game plan to take advantage of him, as opposed to Blaine Gabbert executing a game plan that was supposed to stay away from Telvin.

That’s not to say they’re going to be garbage. But they’re not going to be a unit that takes over games and wills an offense without firepower to wins like they have this season. The offense needs to pick up the slack and put the defense in a position that they can still win games. We can’t have a “run the ball and rely on the defense” road to victory. The pass game needs to put up points if we want to get to a Super Bowl and be an actual good team 

But if the team wants to be a “will they be good enough to sneak into the playoffs?” type team every year, I guess they can go ahead and take that route. But I’m really not down to be the 2001-2007 Ravens.

My team just assumed that Murray and our O-Line was going to perform like they did last year.  Fact is Murray seems to have dropped off the 30year old RB cliff and it has almost pretty much killed our offense. 
I think your franchise just knew Bortles was going to build off his 30 plus TD year, yet...here the team is. Maybe Bortles improves or maybe he goes back down.  That is a big risk.  A smart GM will not let Bortles go into next year unopposed. Henne almost took it from him in the pre-season.