Pacers trade Sabonis to Sacramento for Haliburton and Hield

DirtyDez

On 2/9/2022 at 12:33 AM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Bagley has no future in their organization and is approaching Jabari Parker/Michael Beasley/Derrick Williams level value.

Good call. Got traded away from them. I just thought they should commit to him instead of continuously shuffling him in and out of the lineup.  

On 2/9/2022 at 2:47 PM, seminoles1 said:

High?

He could be having a better year, yes, but I had read an article about more than just a few teams expressing interest in him. He could rebound next year and they could sell him then. 

Personally, I think they should try to work a sign and trade for Jalen Brunson. Reunite Brunson with Carlisle, and send the Mavs Brogdon. Although, I'd rather the Mavs keep Brunson. I just have a bad feeling about his impending UFA status this offseason.

I hope the Mavs bring him back though.

• 8 months later...

As with most trades, the goal is for it to be a boost for both teams in a perfect world. So far, that's playing out, even if it's fair to say that in a vacuum the Pacers came out ahead since Haliburton>Sabonis. Kings roster was really unbalanced and they were seeing their max contract PG's production dip. Adding a skilled big like Sabonis was a huge need for them and for balancing their roster out more. Pacers were starting their rebuild and now have their young PG as the face of their franchise. Kings got a top 5 offense in the NBA with Sabonis being the engine that runs things for them there. He's developed a great 2 man game with not only Fox, but both Huerter and Monk already as well.

Not as disastrous as it looked initially, but Halliburton is just better and younger than Sabonis so still pretty dumb. I really really hope Davion Mitchell didn't convince SAC that Halliburton was dependable lol.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Sabonis and Turner flourishing without getting in each other's way. Long overdue!

The Pacers still unequivocally won the trade and the Kings getting better for now doesn't really change that aspect of it. They got a stud and potential superstar on a rookie contract (+Hield who is... a trade piece I guess?) for a guy that did not fit their team at all. The Kings got a guy who costs more and has less team control who is gonna be an awkward matchup in the playoffs (if they make it there) as he can't defend like you'd want your 5 to (and if you play him at the 4 you run into the same issues Indiana had). 

It certainly looks a lot better for the Kings than it did at the time though. And honestly, if their goal was to end their playoff drought, it's a good move from that standpoint. It just lowers the potential ceiling and shortens the potential window that they could've had with Haliburton/a better trade using Haliburton.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:08 PM, Spartica4Real said:

The Pacers still unequivocally won the trade and the Kings getting better for now doesn't really change that aspect of it. They got a stud and potential superstar on a rookie contract (+Hield who is... a trade piece I guess?) for a guy that did not fit their team at all. The Kings got a guy who costs more and has less team control who is gonna be an awkward matchup in the playoffs (if they make it there) as he can't defend like you'd want your 5 to (and if you play him at the 4 you run into the same issues Indiana had). 

It certainly looks a lot better for the Kings than it did at the time though. And honestly, if their goal was to end their playoff drought, it's a good move from that standpoint. It just lowers the potential ceiling and shortens the potential window that they could've had with Haliburton/a better trade using Haliburton.

The lost part of this though is the diminished value of Fox with Haliburton there.  Everything dipped and they just didnt work great together on the floor given both are at their best with the ball in their hands.  They probably should have traded Fox instead of Haliburton, but I understand why they didn't at the time.  Fox may have even resulted in them getting more than just Sabonis as he was the bigger name at the time.   

13 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The lost part of this though is the diminished value of Fox with Haliburton there.  Everything dipped and they just didnt work great together on the floor given both are at their best with the ball in their hands.  They probably should have traded Fox instead of Haliburton, but I understand why they didn't at the time.  Fox may have even resulted in them getting more than just Sabonis as he was the bigger name at the time.   

Eh, he was in the midst of a down year right after getting a max contract, so I don't know what kind of return they were gonna get for him at that point.