New to this Jets forum: My NFL's 2022 Jets Mock Draft.

DefenseWinsChampionships

Welcome to the forum dude. 

I always love me some irony….

A guy with ‘defense wins championships’ as his username uses his first post to the forum as a mock draft and proceeds to completely ignore our defense needs!! 

Also I’m not a fan of any mock drafts without FA…. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Welcome to the forum dude. 

I always love me some irony….

A guy with ‘defense wins championships’ as his username uses his first post to the forum as a mock draft and proceeds to completely ignore our defense needs!! 

Also I’m not a fan of any mock drafts without FA…. 

Thanks for the welcome. 

In regards to my username it's a loving memory of my Grandfather. He loved Joe Namath but every year (the Saturday night before opening day) as a family ritual he'd watch the Jets vs. Baltimore SB game with me and my older brother throughout the 1990s and every time we watched the game together he always preached to us how Defense Wins Championships. Because Joe Namath might've gotten all the media exposure for the Ali type of prediction but it was our Defense who destroyed Baltimore's Offense on that 1969 night and Won us the Championship. 

But that was then. Zach Wilson is now. 2022's SB MVP = WR Cooper Kupp and Joe Burrow doesn't even sniff the playoffs without OROY Ja'Marr Chase WR (just two of many proven NFL examples).  

▪︎ I want a true #1 outside playmaking WR during the 1st round for Zach Wilson's A+ arm talents and one whom CBs such as Jalen Ramsey must fear and a true #1 WR who opens up the field for both of Corey Davis and especially, Elijah Moore.

Because our fan base hasn't witnessed a drafted 1st round WR since Keyshawn and Santana of 26 years ago and 21 years ago of 1996 and 2001; And that is, criminal (within an Offensive Driven and Pass Happy League).  

▪︎ I want another 1st round O-Linemen for Zach Wilson.

Kid was sacked 44x during only 13 games which was the most sacks taken of any QB in the league (per game); and that was criminal.

▪︎ I want a game changing and game breaking TE during the 2nd round. Either one of Trey McBride or Jaylen Wydermyer. Which ever one falls into the 2nd round (works for me). 

Because we as a fan base haven't witnessed A.) A Pro-Bowl TE since I was 3 years old in Mickey Shuler of 1988. B.) Have never experienced an All-Pro TE (ever) and C.) As a Franchise have never not even one time watched an NYJ TE record at least 1,000 receiving yards; and A-C is absolutely criminal.  

But yes. Defense does (still) Win Championships. Joe Burrow wasn't sacked 7-8x for nothing tonight by that Rams dominant Defense. But then again the Rams don't record those sacks without Cincinnati having an atrocious O-Line. 

▪︎Lack of playmaking WRs?

▪︎Makeshift O-Lines? 

▪︎Atrocious TEs?

▪︎Year in and year out? 

▪︎When was the last time the Jets featured a top 5 Offense in both yards and points scored? 

☆ Enough is enough already because Zach Wilson has too much arm talent and too much hope to become yet another drafted Jets QB ruined and destroyed by Defensive minded GMs who took Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye over Patrick Mahomes and Dalvin Cook and every D-Linemen under the sun not named Offensive Playmaker. 

I want 2022's Offseason of Free Agency and the Draft to fix what's been broken for many of years since dating back to 1998 (atrocious Offenses ever since) by building around Zach Wilson and our QB position. Because not since 1970 have we ever featured 4 picks within the first 38 draft selections; and now is the opportunity to finally fix what's been broken.  

2023 (and beyond) is when Joe Douglas can provide Robert Saleh with his Defensive Dogs. Go Defense 2023 7x for all I care. 

But if 2022 isn't the Offseason of Offense? It'll become just another blatant criminal act which will ruin Zach Wilson before even year #3. 

43 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Don't apologize, insight is always welcome here. We're a pretty tight group even when we disagree. 

I'm just a big time believer in Zach Wilson and I want our Front Office to protect this kid and invest into him (@ all costs). 

He was sacked 44x but yet only lost 1 fumble? Everyone questioned his mental and especially physical toughness pre-draft on how he never took big hits @ BYU and/or how he was too small to survive. 44 sacks? 1 fumble lost? I think he proved them wrong. 

▪︎This kid was thrown into the fire on a crap team coming off a 2-14 season while alongside of a team learning a brand new year #1 coaching staff and thrown into the NY fire against the NFLs #1 toughest Defensive Schedule of any QB in the league. No QB went up against a tougher more difficult Defensive schedule than a Rookie Zach Wilson (and he not only survived but he continued to improve as the season went on). 

▪︎His first 3 games were an NFL nightmare (7 INTs consisting of 1, 2 and 4 INT games) due to learning a new speed of the NFL game (gigantic difference in comparison to while @ BYU) but yet he still managed to improve and ended his Rookie campaign not only with 5 consecutive games of 0 INTs but 10 consecutive games of 0 multiple INT games. 

▪︎No other NFL QB had as many key injuries to their offensive teammates as Zach Wilson did. And for a Rookie QB on an Offense already starved of real talent? I'm not sure how he managed to survive and/or not Ryan Leaf it. 

• AlijahVera-Tucker = 1 game missed @ LG.

• Braxton Berrios = 1 game missed @ WR.

• Connor McGovern = 2 games missed @ C.

• George Fant = 2 games missed @ OT.

• Keelan Cole = 2 games missed @ WR.

• Michael Carter = 3 games missed @ RB.

• Jamison Crowder = 5 games missed @ WR.

• Daniel Brown = 5 games missed @ TE.

• Trevon Wesco = 5 games missed @ TE.

• Elijah Moore = 6 games missed @ WR.

• Denzel Mims = 6 games missed/DNPs @ WR.

• Telvin Coleman = 6 games missed @ RB.

• Tyler Kroft = 8 games missed @ TE.

• Corey Davis = 8 games missed @ WR.

• Mekhi Becton = 16 games missed @ Franchise LT. 

But yet still managed to (statistically speaking) put up a better Rookie season than even Josh Allen's Rookie year and despite all of the above?

I think he's something special (within the makings). 

Joe Montana.
Brett Favre.
Steve McNair.
Tom Brady.
Drew Brees.
Philip Rivers.
Aaron Rodgers.
Patrick Mahomes.

None of them were thrown into the fire as Rookie QBs (like Zach was) because they all sat the bench their Rookie seasons (unlike Wilson). 

Terry Bradshaw
John Elway.
Troy Aikman.
Peyton Manning.
Eli Manning.
Matthew Stafford.
Josh Allen.

Etc.

None of them were Hall of Famers after their crap Rookie seasons and they all struggled horrendously.  

▪︎ Top 5 available salary cap space.

+

▪︎ The NFLs #1 draft capital with two 1st round picks. Two 2nd round picks. One 3rd round pick. Two 4th round picks and two 5th round picks (4 picks within the top 38 selections for the first time since dating back to 1970 of 52 years ago). 

=

A chance to pour every ounce of available offseason capital into a potential Franchise QB drafted #2 overall in order to end the curse since Joe Namath (@ QB). 

2023 (and beyond) is when Joe Douglas can provide Robert Saleh with his Defensive Dogs (go Defense 2023 7x for all I care along with Defensive FA $$$ too) but if 2022 isn't the Offseason of Offense?

It'll become just another blatant and (offensive) criminal act which could ruin Zach Wilson both physically and mentally (before even year #3).

Our crap Defense can't get him killed, but our awful Offense will; and as an NYJ fan base we've seen this story unfold already one too many times.

(make Zach Wilson great and everything else will soon thereafter follow). 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

Welcome to the forum and thanks for some great posts but if we take breece hall with our 38th pick I will absolutely throw up and blame you mercilessly all season for putting it into the universe! That being said…enjoy the forum man it’s really by far the best place to talk jets football. 

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean selfishly I absolutely LOVE IT. OL is set for a decade. Add a legit #1 WR in London. McBride is immediately a starter for us at TE and Hall can work in with Carter. The makings of a star young offense. Something we’ve never had.

But I just can’t see us using all those picks on offense. I’d love it if we did. But I can’t see it after that’s kinda what we did last year with our 1st 4 picks.

What are your thoughts on dropping from 4 to the teens? I think it's a little steep.  But two OL and a WR can't really complain.

Defensewins, I really like it but no Edge drops it to a B for me.

Breece is my favorite RB and PERFECT for Carter.  Not for fantasy purposes though.  I like Kerby Joseph.  Not sure who the LB is.  We would have amazing building blocks on offense which at the end of the day is most important, Zach needs to succeed.  But the defense will most likely struggle again.

16 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Final part of my rant. Don’t you all want an offense that can score and a defense that can get them the ball back? 

If we take a very general look at successful NFL teams....they can score, and they can take the ball away.

I prefer to get a playmaker at WR to score and getting a big time EDGE plus a LB to lead to take aways.  If we make the right moves I can see our defense like NE a few years back.  They give up yards but do not let teams score much and generate turnovers.

57 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If we take a very general look at successful NFL teams....they can score, and they can take the ball away.

I prefer to get a playmaker at WR to score and getting a big time EDGE plus a LB to lead to take aways.  If we make the right moves I can see our defense like NE a few years back.  They give up yards but do not let teams score much and generate turnovers.

Agreed. I read where Saleh may not be as high on Hall and loved Echols and may want a FA CB to compete with Hall. Personally, I think that’s BS but it does lead one to believe Saleh values TO’s. Hall does not generate them. At least not yet. I’m fact, the concept of zone coverage was to get more TO’s usually at the expense of giving up shorter pass plays. I’ll let the more knowledgeable correct me on that.

As for WR, Godwin or Kirk may be targets IF they become available. I’m not so sure we spend a FRP on one. Maybe a SRP if a prospect like Dotson or Bell are available. But I think JD will want a young, experienced, decent WR to join Davis and Moore. A WR who could play slot and outside.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What are your thoughts on dropping from 4 to the teens? I think it's a little steep.  But two OL and a WR can't really complain.

Defensewins, I really like it but no Edge drops it to a B for me.

Breece is my favorite RB and PERFECT for Carter.  Not for fantasy purposes though.  I like Kerby Joseph.  Not sure who the LB is.  We would have amazing building blocks on offense which at the end of the day is most important, Zach needs to succeed.  But the defense will most likely struggle again.

My thoughts are I want talent not more picks. I mean we have plenty of picks. It’s time to get players not more picks. So give me the best guy at 4 is my thoughts. If Kayvon and Hutchinson are gone… give me Neal or Ikem. I also think trading back always seems like a great idea. But it takes 2 to tango. Teams aren’t always lining up to give up a huge package to go up to 4.

Interesting.  I can't complain with this plan.    Still, Cross and London are questionable choices for Jets.

Mike Leach's OL has yet to pan out as at least average NFL player.  It deserves a hesitation to draft Cross in 1st.

London doesn't have quickness or suddenness to make LaFleur's offense work.  Unless LaFleur has plan to upgrade/flex his offense for 2022 I would stay away from London.  If you look for bigger slot receiver then you may like TE Cole Turner as non 1st round option.   WR David Bell could be a solid option but he has exclusively played outside for Purdue.  If you actually look for 1st round WR prospect then Treylon Burks could work there.