Which QB had a stronger arm: Brett Favre, Dan Marino or John Elway?

mdonnelly21

Which QB had a stronger arm: Brett Favre, Dan Marino or John Elway?   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB had a stronger arm: Brett Favre, Dan Marino or John Elway?

• Dan Marino
    • John Elway
    • Brett Favre

1. People don't mention him enough, but Terry Bradshaw had just as strong an arm as these three.

2. To answer the question, its virtually impossible to say definitively. All three had absolute cannons. Dan obviously had the quickest release, but if I had to say... I think Elway had ever so slightly the most powerful arm. Elway seemed to throw deep with less effort put into the throw than Farve. But again, we're just splitting hairs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Dan Marino might've not had the strongest arm in the world but he had the quickest release of any QB I've ever witnessed play the position. 

If Dan Marino had Barry Sanders and Barry Sanders had Dan Marino; they win multiple SBs together. 

Yep, Marino had an incredibly quick release, but for arm strength it's between Elway and Favre here. Ultimately giving the edge to Favre in the poll, but it's close.

Dan Marino might've not had the strongest arm in the world but he had the quickest release of any QB I've ever witnessed play the position. 

If Dan Marino had Barry Sanders and Barry Sanders had Dan Marino; they win multiple SBs together. 

I hate this logic with the utmost passion.

If Tom Brady had Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders he'd win the Super Bowl every year.

I'm 100% positive that Dan Marino didn't have the capability of being a multiple SB winning QB. 

He's arguably the most talented QB who ever lived, but there was always serious questions about his ability (or lack thereof) to read defenses, and his coachability (he had a huge ego).

Could I see him winning 1 SB in the right situation? Yes, he would have won in 84 if Montana didn't go into absolute God-mode (arguably the best QB performance in SB history).

But I can't ever see Dan winning multiple rings. Sometimes it goes deeper than talent, cause Marino was 5x more talented than Brady, yet you see the difference in results...

Edited by Tightspiral7

1 hour ago, Tightspiral7 said:

I'm 100% positive that Dan Marino didn't have the capability of being a multiple SB winning QB. 

He's arguably the most talented QB who ever lived, but there was always serious questions about his ability (or lack thereof) to read defenses, and his coachability (he had a huge ego).

Could I see him winning 1 SB in the right situation? Yes, he would have won in 84 if Montana didn't go into absolute God-mode (arguably the best QB performance in SB history).

But I can't ever see Dan winning multiple rings. Sometimes it goes deeper than talent, cause Marino was 5x more talented than Brady, yet you see the difference in results...

Dude how many O-Linemen, WRs, TEs and RBs can you name from Dan Marino's Miami Dolphins teammates? 

Dan Marino arguably had the least amount of Offensive Talent surrounding him of any HOF QB ever (All-Time) throughout his entire playing career.  

Put him on Jim Kelly's Buffalo Bills and Buffalo doesn't lose 4 SBs in a row. Not with Dan Marino instead of Jim Kelly they don't. Buffalo wins at least 2 of those SBs with Dan Marino and I know; because I'm a Jets fan who had to live through those days. 

• Like 1

Dude how many O-Linemen, WRs, TEs and RBs can you name from Dan Marino's Miami Dolphins teammates? 

Dan Marino arguably had the least amount of Offensive Talent surrounding him of any HOF QB ever (All-Time) throughout his entire playing career.  

Put him on Jim Kelly's Buffalo Bills and Buffalo doesn't lose 4 SBs in a row. Not with Dan Marino instead of Jim Kelly they don't. Buffalo wins at least 2 of those SBs with Dan Marino and I know; because I'm a Jets fan who had to live through those days. 

Marino had the Marks brothers (Clayton and Duper) for more than half of his career. Clayton had 6 1000 yard seasons (996 yards in another season) and Duper had 4 1000 yard seasons. They both had 1000 yards in the same season three times. His WRs were a lot better than Elway's WRs--until the end of their careers. Elway carried a lot of average teams to the Super Bowl--which is why I give him the edge over Marino in my QB rankings. Ironically, Elway later won two Super Bowls when Terrell Davis carried the team. Davis rushed for over 100 yards in all 7 games during the two Super Bowl runs (1049 yards and 11 TDs in those 7 games).

Favre and Elway were 1A and 1B in arm strength. For me, those two had the strongest arms since I started watching the NFL--although I think Josh Allen has since taken the top spot.

Marino did have the quickest release. Elway maybe a slight edge on Favre.

Marino was probably the most accurate. Favre maybe a slight edge on Elway.

Favre and Elway had much more mobility. Elway was the most mobile.

Edited by TheEagle

2 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Marino had the Marks brothers (Clayton and Duper) for more than half of his career. Clayton had 6 1000 yard seasons (996 yards in another season) and Duper had 4 1000 yard seasons. They both had 1000 yards in the same season three times. His WRs were a lot better than Elway's WRs--until the end of their careers. Elway carried a lot of average teams to the Super Bowl--which is why I give him the edge over Marino in my QB rankings. Ironically, Elway later won two Super Bowls when Terrell Davis carried the team. Davis rushed for over 100 yards in all 7 games during the two Super Bowl runs (1049 yards and 11 TDs in those 7 games).

Favre and Elway were 1A and 1B in arm strength. For me, those two had the strongest arms since I started watching the NFL--although I think Josh Allen has since taken the top spot.

Marino did have the quickest release. Elway maybe a slight edge on Favre.

Marino was probably the most accurate. Favre maybe a slight edge on Elway.

Favre and Elway had much more mobility. Elway was the most mobile.

Well said good post but don't forget that in his prime Dan Marino had a rocket/cannon for an arm. They called it a Golden arm. And his quick release made it even more impressive. Prime Dan Marino has one of the top 5 strongest arms within NFL history. 

19 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I thought DefenseWinsChampionships?

• Like 1