GB free agency 2022

squire12

z's back is a liability. he could go down at any moment of the season. can't go long term with him. cant go high dollar with him.

if he wants to play ball in green bay he needs to take the kind of discount that keeps him on a legit snap count. preserves him as much as possible to be primed for playoffs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

can we back out of the preston smith thing and switch to Z?

I love Z to death, been a true pleasure to watch him in 2019/2020, but no chance I'd sign him to a big money deal over Preston at this juncture.  Just misses too much time, and with the back injury you're always on a clock you can't see as to how much football he's got left.  Preston meanwhile is Mr. Dependable, hasn't missed a game since coming into the league.  If I'm handing a bag over to one of those two situations, it'll be the guy I know is going to start every game I want him to over the course of that thing.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

I love Z to death, been a true pleasure to watch him in 2019/2020, but no chance I'd sign him to a big money deal over Preston at this juncture.  Just misses too much time, and with the back injury you're always on a clock you can't see as to how much football he's got left.  Preston meanwhile is Mr. Dependable, hasn't missed a game since coming into the league.  If I'm handing a bag over to one of those two situations, it'll be the guy I know is going to start every game I want him to over the course of that thing.

I get everything you're saying and I still think it's wrong and too conservative

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

correct, better to listen to actual experts and the people paid to make these type of decisions than one anecdote

Not just one...my god don't you guys know anyone who has had this done?  This isn't some great mystery here.  Whatever I came out against drafting Caleb Farley too.  Although we never knew if his back would have been a problem because he blew out his ACL instead.  Telling you guys back surgery is the kiss of death.  But hey don't believe me fine.  Signing Z would have been a mistake.  You'll see after this season.  Should tell the tale pretty well.  He is not going to be the same player.  Huge medical red flag as far as I'm concerned.   No point in arguing with you guys.  Get back to me after 2022 is in the books.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Not just one...my god don't you guys know anyone who has had this done?  This isn't some great mystery here.  Whatever I came out against drafting Caleb Farley too.  Although we never knew if his back would have been a problem because he blew out his ACL instead.  Telling you guys back surgery is the kiss of death.  But hey don't believe me fine.  Signing Z would have been a mistake.  You'll see after this season.  Should tell the tale pretty well.  He is not going to be the same player.  Huge medical red flag as far as I'm concerned.   No point in arguing with you guys.  Get back to me after 2022 is in the books.  

yeah i mean, the way you're and a lot of folks here are describing it he's not worth signing at all.

IF he does sign a contract, an NFL team will have had to convince themselves that the back is worth risking it on.  These are pro athletes, not guys on the couch like you or I.  It might work, it might not, but they definitely are having a different experience than you are with regard to surgery, recovery, motivation, and access to pain management in order to play for 2-3 hours on game day.

Very possible it ends up that he is just done.  Even if he does sign a big money deal.  Still very confident that your personal experience doesn't have anything to do with it.

There have been many successful returns to play from serious back/neck surgery in pro sports.  And many failures as well.

TEs - not many good one left
Tyler Conklin - 593 yards and 3TDs - PFF 66.7
Jared Cook - 564 yards 4TDs - PFF 61.9
Gerald Everett - 478 yards and 4TDs - PFF 63.5
Ricky Seals Jones - 271 yards and 2TDs - PFF 62.3 
Kyle Rudolph - 257 yards and 1TD  - PFF 66.5
Hayden Hurst - 221 yards and 3TDs - PFF 55.3
Maxx Williams - 193 yards and 1TD- PFF 77.9
OJ Howard - 135 yards and 1TD - PFF 49.2

Blake Jarwin - 96 ayrds and 2TDs - PFF 59
Eric Ebron - Didn't do much last season 558 yards and 5 TDs in 2020

WRs - not many signed as of yet
Aj Green - 848 Yards and 3TD - PFF69.2 
*Will Fuller - 879 Yards and 8TD - PFF86.2 (*2020 stats)
*Ju Ju - 839 Yards and 1TD - PFF68.2 (*2020 stats)
Jarvis Landry - 570 Yards and 2TD - PFF66.3
Byron Pringle - 568 Yards and 5TD - PFF66.5
Keenan Cole - 449 Yards and 1TD - PFF61.3
Jaminson Crowder - 447 Yards and 2TD - PFF64.9
Allen Robinson - 410 Yards and 1TD - PFF66.9
Sammy Watkins - 394 Yards and 1TD - PFF66.3
Adam humphries - 383 Yards and 0TD - PFF58.1
TY Hilton - 331 Yards and 3TD - PFF70.1
James Washington - 285 Yards and 2TD - PFF50.5
Rashard Higgins - 275 Yards and 1TD - PFF54.7
Damarcus Robinson - 264 Yards and 3TD - PFF51.1
Auden Tate - 39 Yards and 1TD - PFF69.6 (interesting guy, buried on
Cole Beasley - 693 Yards and 1TD - PFF 66.6

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I get everything you're saying and I still think it's wrong and too conservative

You certainly could be right.  It's a roll of the dice thing, and it wouldn't shock me if Z was able to get through a couple more years as the player he had been with Green Bay.  If you're paying Rodgers for a few more Last Rides, maybe the lottery ticket playmaker is the way to go?  I'd feel better about that if Green Bay had better OLB depth behind those two, but neither Garvin nor Tipa is a starter IMO and that puts a lot of pressure on your 1's to stay healthy.  Garvin actually isn't the worst rotational piece (11 pressures on 395 snaps is like, eh? you can live with it), so I go with the guy more likely to keep him in that role.  Z/Gary/Garvin is a better rush group than Preston/Gary/Garvin, but Gary/Garvin/Galeai/Ramsey is a much worse group than either as we saw them last.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah i mean, the way you're and a lot of folks here are describing it he's not worth signing at all.

IF he does sign a contract, an NFL team will have had to convince themselves that the back is worth risking it on.  These are pro athletes, not guys on the couch like you or I.  It might work, it might not, but they definitely are having a different experience than you are with regard to surgery, recovery, motivation, and access to pain management in order to play for 2-3 hours on game day.

Very possible it ends up that he is just done.  Even if he does sign a big money deal.  Still very confident that your personal experience doesn't have anything to do with it.

There have been many successful returns to play from serious back/neck surgery in pro sports.  And many failures as well.

Dude it's not just my personal experience.  Talk to anyone who has had a microdiscectomy.  This isn't a  mystery except to maybe you.  Don't minimize the injury.  It is damn serious.  

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

but neither Garvin nor Tipa is a starter IMO and that puts a lot of pressure on your 1's to stay healthy.  Garvin actually isn't the worst rotational piece (11 pressures on 395 snaps is like, eh? you can live with it)

Preston isn't great enough and hasn't been great enough for 2 years to justify this pay for performance.  Sometimes I think because they had the same last name people associate them too closely together.  Z always was miles and miles ahead of Preston Smith.  Preston is good and solid and reliable because he HAS TO BE.  He isn't talented or gifted enough to make a big difference without being extremely consistent and reliable.

Preston is also playing fewer snaps than he had historically in his career which is always a concern for me when you give a guy a contract.  Should that trend continue, he might turn into a serviceable sub rusher with a huge contract that doesn't justify it.  We don't need another late career Clay Matthews

Preston was at 28 pressures in about 700 snaps.  He can still do the job.  I am just not so sure that this team wouldn't be better off with a worse 2nd OLB Erik Walden type and a better interior DL/sub rushing group.

It doesn't have to be Z, but he is pretty unique and dynamic.  And I think Clark has more to give as a rusher if there was anyone halfway decent near him.

Build the rush more like Pittsburgh and SF and KC rather than New Orleans.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Preston isn't great enough and hasn't been great enough for 2 years to justify this pay for performance.  Sometimes I think because they had the same last name people associate them too closely together.  Z always was miles and miles ahead of Preston Smith.  Preston is good and solid and reliable because he HAS TO BE.  He isn't talented or gifted enough to make a big difference without being extremely consistent and reliable.

Preston is also playing fewer snaps than he had historically in his career which is always a concern for me when you give a guy a contract.  Should that trend continue, he might turn into a serviceable sub rusher with a huge contract that doesn't justify it.  We don't need another late career Clay Matthews

Preston was at 28 pressures in about 700 snaps.  He can still do the job.  I am just not so sure that this team wouldn't be better off with a worse 2nd OLB Erik Walden type and a better interior DL/sub rushing group.

It doesn't have to be Z, but he is pretty unique and dynamic.  And I think Clark has more to give as a rusher if there was anyone halfway decent near him.

Build the rush more like Pittsburgh and SF and KC rather than New Orleans.

You’re underrating Preston and his good all around game. He’s above average rushing the passer and really good against the run. Those guys make good money. I’d take him over Big Z at this point, and it’s not really that close to me. Primarily, because of the back injury, but also for his leadership. There’s something just not right with an unhappy Big Z.

• Like 2