GB free agency 2022

squire12

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

what outside moves remain to be done for GB?

Internal moves with jaire and davante obviously.

Perhaps a 3rd pass rushing veteran?  Mercilus or other?

Outside option at WR?

This all depends on how much more money we want to move out/how much more cap we create, but here would my list of items to choose from: 

1. Sign Douglas -- top priority
  2. Sign Tonyan - 2nd highest priority
  3. Consider resigning Mercilus - we currently do not have an EDGE No. 3
  4. Consider resigning Patrick -- good depth at C/G
  5. Consider resigning Kelly - we are really thin at OT without Turner and Jenkins out for a while

Outside moves (if there's any cap for it): 

1. WR - we have to address this position either in FA or early in the draft. I don't see a third door. 
  2. DL - losing Keke hurt and Lancaster is a FA. Again, we either need to go FA here or the draft, or both. 

Obviously, we likely can't make all these moves, but that's my list of options, which could then help shape our needs/wants in the draft. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
  • Sign Tonyan - 2nd highest priority
  • Consider resigning Mercilus - we currently do not have an EDGE No. 3

Tonyan could be any offensive weapon IMO - WR/TE.

Mercilus would be a good add I think.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

DL - losing Keke hurt and Lancaster is a FA. Again, we either need to go FA here or the draft, or both.

Getting another fatty might be my #1 move.  Let Clark do more rushing!

Edited by skibrett15

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

But now the Bucs just got Shaq Mason from the Pats?

Bucs don't f*ck around. If they have a perceived weakness, they just go get a guy and fill it. Wouldn't be surprised if they land a top safety like Honeybadger or someone to replace Whitehead. They don't roll with unproven guys, especially with Brady around. 

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Didn't think he was as close with Crosby despite being teammates the longest. Either way, you cut Billy Turner to save $2.5m but are keeping Mr. 50/50 Crosby for $4m? 

Someone needs to explain that one to me with something other than "he's friends with 12."

Well, they wouldn’t be saving $4m to cut him. More like $1.7m. & don’t have a Jenkins lined up behind him to replace. 

43 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This all depends on how much more money we want to move out/how much more cap we create, but here would my list of items to choose from: 

1. Sign Douglas -- top priority
  2. Sign Tonyan - 2nd highest priority
  3. Consider resigning Mercilus - we currently do not have an EDGE No. 3
  4. Consider resigning Patrick -- good depth at C/G
  5. Consider resigning Kelly - we are really thin at OT without Turner and Jenkins out for a while

Outside moves (if there's any cap for it): 

1. WR - we have to address this position either in FA or early in the draft. I don't see a third door. 
  2. DL - losing Keke hurt and Lancaster is a FA. Again, we either need to go FA here or the draft, or both. 

Obviously, we likely can't make all these moves, but that's my list of options, which could then help shape our needs/wants in the draft. 

The issue for outside WR help… what can GB really offer them? Literally just a place to chase a ring. And those types are going to be older, past their prime, good for a play or two, type player.

And ideally they have that in Cobb.

GB can’t give top dollar. They can’t offer touches or targets (because of Adams). Because of the touches and targets it’s hard to sell a guy on “hey sign with us for a year, rehab your image with an MVP QB and get your money next year.” If you arent getting touches it’s hard to showcase your skill.

Oh and the big elephant in the room… it takes years to get the MVP QB to trust you to get those targets.

Sad to say but the WRs are going to be Adams, Lazard, Cobb, Amari, and rookie. Everyone needs to hope Amari explodes and GB drafts a Justin Jefferson level rookie.

12 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Well, they wouldn’t be saving $4m to cut him. More like $1.7m. & don’t have a Jenkins lined up behind him to replace. 

I thought we'd save around $2.5, pretty close to Turner's savings, but that's neither here nor there. Personally, I think it's time to move on from Crosby. I'd be fine drafting a guy on Day 3, and if that doesn't work, there's always other veteran options. We need to make tough choices on who to keep, who to not, and I'd put Crosby near the bottom of "need to keep". 

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

The issue for outside WR help… what can GB really offer them? Literally just a place to chase a ring. And those types are going to be older, past their prime, good for a play or two, type player.

And ideally they have that in Cobb.

GB can’t give top dollar. They can’t offer touches or targets (because of Adams). Because of the touches and targets it’s hard to sell a guy on “hey sign with us for a year, rehab your image with an MVP QB and get your money next year.” If you arent getting touches it’s hard to showcase your skill.

Oh and the big elephant in the room… it takes years to get the MVP QB to trust you to get those targets.

Sad to say but the WRs are going to be Adams, Lazard, Cobb, Amari, and rookie. Everyone needs to hope Amari explodes and GB drafts a Justin Jefferson level rookie.

This all depends on structure. Again, we can't get bogged down in overall numbers. We could sign a WR today for $10m/year and if his cap hit is $5m this season, we're fine. This is exactly what we just did with Campbell. It's ALL about structure to allow us to pay less now and more later. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

This all depends on structure. Again, we can't get bogged down in overall numbers. We could sign a WR today for $10m/year and if his cap hit is $5m this season, we're fine. This is exactly what we just did with Campbell. It's ALL about structure to allow us to pay less now and more later. 

And they have the best WR in the league upset over structure of his contract.

Structure and money walk hand in hand in these discussions. They aren’t going out into FA to spend on WR… more so when they are having issue with there home grown WR.

It’s no secret what GB is doing. But there is a limit to how much funny money they can structure. They still need to be smart about this.

I just don’t see them doing this for a WR. For what they are paying the QB… I would just tell him throw to Lazard when he is f-ing open in the middle of the field instead of forcing it to 17.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

And they have the best WR in the league upset over structure of his contract.

Structure and money walk hand in hand in these discussions. They aren’t going out into FA to spend on WR… more so when they are having issue with there home grown WR.

It’s no secret what GB is doing. But there is a limit to how much funny money they can structure. They still need to be smart about this.

I just don’t see them doing this for a WR. For what they are paying the QB… I would just tell him throw to Lazard when he is f-ing open in the middle of the field instead of forcing it to 17.

This team can't win it all with Lazard as the top option behind Adams. That's just my opinion, but no one will ever be able to convince me otherwise. I'm perfectly fine with not adding an overpriced WR in FA, but if not, I'm expecting the Packers to take a WR top 60 in the draft, preferably in the top 30 even if they have to move up to get a top tier guy. It's a massive hole that needs to be filled. Again, I know a lot of people disagree with me on that point, but that's my 2 cents. 

• Like 1