GB free agency 2022

squire12

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He made it work early with MVS with success.  And he was a late round pick.

I hold out hope that if we take a WR in round 1, Aaron will use him.

And if the kid has deep speed, that is about all we really need.  If the kid can run routes, Aaron will find him.

I know this runs contrary to most every other WR he's brought in, but this is just how I feel.

So MVS his rookie year got 76 targets, 38 rec, 581 yards and 2TDs.

So if GB drafts a guy at 28 (let’s say for the argument)… is this enough to change the offense? Are those numbers of an offense weapon that would move the needle for this team? And is that enough for Rodgers to feel good going into the playoffs to lean on that rookie?

Again… I’m sure this team can draft a great WR. I just doubt he would have any meaningful impact this year. Hope I’m wrong though. Hope Burks or Olave are the guy and they come in like Jefferson or Chase. Would make this offense that much more dangerous.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So if GB drafts a guy at 28 (let’s say for the argument)… is this enough to change the offense? Are those numbers of an offense weapon that would move the needle for this team? And is that enough for Rodgers to feel good going into the playoffs to lean on that rookie?

Again… I’m sure this team can draft a great WR. I just doubt he would have any meaningful impact this year. Hope I’m wrong though. Hope Burks or Olave are the guy and they come in like Jefferson or Chase. Would make this offense that much more dangerous.

Via the draft or we find him in a homeless shelter - I dont care - rumor has it we're in "All In" mode right? Seems to be the word on the street - so drafting for year 3 production.....kinda goes against the grain no???????

Even GB - yup - even GB can experience the dynamic talent a high draft pick can bring at WR. It's not just something that SHOULD happen to all the other teams.

I'm amazed how GB fans can rationalize away securing this top talent - when it produces for other teams - year 1.

And if it's an "AR problem" then kick him in the *** and tell him to throw him the ball!

You're a HC for a reason. Live the dream.

Edited by Leader

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Via the draft or we find him in a homeless shelter - I dont care - rumor has it we're in "All In" mode right? Seems to be the word on the street - so drafting for year 3 production.....kinda goes against the grain no???????

Even GB - yup - even GB can experience the dynamic talent a high draft pick can bring at WR. It's not just something that SHOULD happen to all the other teams.

I'm amazed how GB fans can rationalize away securing this top talent - when it produces for other teams - year 1.

And if it's an "AR problem" then kick him in the *** and tell him to throw him the ball!

You're a HC for a reason. Live the dream.

They are in “All In”… yet they aren’t out here spending money like drunken sailors either. “All in” means signing their guys back.

No one is saying they can’t draft a great rookie WR… you just need to get past the whole drafting philosophy this front office has been using since Ted was GM and a QB who needs to be mind siblings with the WR he is throwing to.

If you can fix those two elements… nothing is stopping GB from having a nice 2nd WR as a rookie. The real issue is unlike Ted… Brian hasn’t drafted weapons highly consistently. Look at the run with Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Cobb and Adams. Brian has focused on other positions. Had he been focused on weapons we’d likely have a guy in year 3 ready to burst on the scene.

For his credit… Green Bay has consistently had a better defense under Brian, than Ted. It’s just a team building philosophy and I think they are going all patriots and are focused on defense and hoping Rodgers and all his money can be the difference on that side.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

They are in “All In”… yet they aren’t out here spending money like drunken sailors either. “All in” means signing their guys back.

Yes - we're paying our guys" on a clock. They're gonna become way too expensive in a few years - so we'd best cash in now - and I'm talking about the cheapest talent there is: the draft.

Change up our procedures. Downplay the value / positioan chart and go and get a YEAR ONE producer. 
Then by year 3 - when its time to jettison Davante - he'll be all set to take over WR1.

See how easy that is?

28 minutes ago, Green19 said:

They need a guy who can run a complete route tree.  MVS is a track guy who got better but isn't that guy.  He was great in his decoy/take the safety with him role, but he's not a get open on any given play guy.  

They need a Greg Jennings type who Rodgers can look at on any play instead of having to focus solely on Adams.  A guy who can open the other side of the field.  That isn't MVS,  he's a track guy, they need a solid #2 over there that can get open quickly.  

MVS was a guy you went to in certain situations after the defense was lulled to sleep.  They need a guy over there you can go to in ANY situation.  It would open a lot up for Rodgers.

I'd love to have MVS as a #3, but we only got so much money.

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

They need a guy who can run a complete route tree.  MVS is a track guy who got better but isn't that guy.  He was great in his decoy/take the safety with him role, but he's not a get open on any given play guy.  

They need a Greg Jennings type who Rodgers can look at on any play instead of having to focus solely on Adams.  A guy who can open the other side of the field.  That isn't MVS,  he's a track guy, they need a solid #2 over there that can get open quickly.  

MVS was a guy you went to in certain situations after the defense was lulled to sleep.  They need a guy over there you can go to in ANY situation.  It would open a lot up for Rodgers.

I'd love to have MVS as a #3, but we only got so much money.

Agree with this.

By personnel procurement (read: draft) make Lazard our #3. Then he can emulate Jordy all he wants - I'd like nothing better! I've got nothing against anybody - I just want a COMPLETE passing game.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree with this.

By personnel procurement (read: draft) make Lazard our #3. Then he can emulate Jordy all he wants - I'd like nothing better! I've got nothing against anybody - I just want a COMPLETE passing game.

It's a big reason Rodgers wanted Cobb back.  He needed a guy who can get open quick.   Cobb isn't as fast as he once was, but Rodgers needed a reliable quick outlet other than Adams.  It's still a concern.

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

It's a big reason Rodgers wanted Cobb back.  He needed a guy who can get open quick.   Cobb isn't as fast as he once was, but Rodgers needed a reliable quick outlet other than Adams.  It's still a concern.

I think Cobb's best years are in his rear view mirror. He gave us minimal production from the slot. Amari gave us next to nothing from the position.....so it....wasnt a strong suit (shall we say). Then - when Tonyan went down - production from the TE group fell off the charts.  Christ. It's beyond me how could be expect to win it all with such handicaps? It was the Davante or Die passing attack.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

And they drafted Amari for that… but Rodgers wanted Cobb and undercut that move. We keep dancing around two elephants in the room. Drafting philosophy and the QB we are building around.

One of the major reasons I think GB is smart to ignore WR early is because it’s going to take a year or 2 for them to gel with Rodgers. MVS himself said this to everyone. If you think this offense with this QB is just running great routes… it is not.

Im with others on here though… would love to see a high, high draft pick of a WR. Because then we can put to bed if it’s a talent issue or a Rodgers issue. I suspect GB knows their QB and know any investment there won’t pay off in the short term. I mean look at Amari… it’s not like a 3rd is some garbage of a pick (history would say we can get a James Jones level guy).

rough idea where GB started in terms of cap situation and options

current cap -$45.80
cap savings if cut
cap savings if restructured
cap savings if extended

ZaDarius Smith $15.28 $0.00 $11.30
  Preston Smith $12.47 $0.00 $8.70
  Randall Cobb $6.74 $3.37 $5.40
  Mason Crosby $2.39 $1.22 $1.30
  Adrian Amos $4.65 $4.78 $5.10
  Dean Lowry $3.98 $3.38 $3.61
  Billy Turner $5.81 $3.51 $3.74
  Marcedes Lewis $2.44 $0.66 $0.80
  Aaron Rodgers $19.81 $13.18 $21.09
  Jaire Alexander $0.00 $0.00 $9.80
  Davante Adams $20.14 $0.00 $15.22

• Cuts
    • Z Smith
    • Turner
  • extension
    • Preston Smith
    • Rodgers

Current options to clear the remaining $7M to become cap compliant

current cap $7.02
cap savings if cut
cap savings if restructured
cap savings if extended

Randall Cobb $6.74 $3.37 $5.40
  Mason Crosby $2.39 $1.22 $1.30
  Adrian Amos $4.65 $4.78 $5.10
  Dean Lowry $3.98 $3.38 $3.61
  Marcedes Lewis $2.44 $0.66 $0.80
  Jaire Alexander $0.00 $0.00 $9.80
  Davante Adams $20.14 $0.00 $15.22

Billy Turner $5.81 $3.51 $3.74
  ZaDarius Smith $15.28 $0.00 $11.30
  Preston Smith $12.47 $0.00 $8.70
  Aaron Rodgers $19.81 $13.18 $21.09

assuming that GB can create some space to have some options to add a few "good value pieces"

Interested to see what others think the 

1. Needs are
  2. options at those positions of need

My take in no priority order 

• RT
  • IDL
  • CB
  • TE
  • 3rd edge
  • WR
  • 3rd safety

If this team doesn't get Jaire and Adams done soon, they're done spending. A gaping hole at TE, #3 EDGE and #3 CB, along with pretty decent sized holes at #2 WR and RT doesn't exactly have me inspired. We ended last year as the clear #1 team in the NFC in talent. Think we're pretty clearly behind Tampa and LAR right now.  Figured this would be boom, boom, boom with Rodgers, Adams, Jaire. They're all arguably the best at their position and you've had the entire season to figure this out. Bit concerning we were willing to go this route without being almost there and these other extensions.