GB free agency 2022

squire12

It's not too late for Rodgers and Adams to think they're bigger than they are, upsetting both of them, causing the Packers to trade both of them.

Like... It's really not too late.

Adams is the first domino.

He can't really be re-signed without Aaron taking a pay cut.

Do they really expect the Packers to just cut everybody else? Do they think they can be a better team while paying them more? Like do they not understand there's actually a limit?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not too late for Rodgers and Adams to think they're bigger than they are, upsetting both of them, causing the Packers to trade both of them.

Like... It's really not too late.

Adams is the first domino.

He can't really be re-signed without Aaron taking a pay cut.

Do they really expect the Packers to just cut everybody else? Do they think they can be a better team while paying them more? Like do they not understand there's actually a limit?

They very much understand ... they just don't care.  Mind boggling that they pee and moan about not being able to keep their team mates  or add to the team and yet expect to be paid what they're "worth".  They really don't give a crap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

First, Lol at Adams saying he'll sit out instead of playing on the tag. That's not happening.

Second, if not for Rodgers, the smart play would still be to trade Adams. Get a good pick or two then sign Robinson and another mid-range WR, probably for the total price (or less) of the Adams contract. It'll never happen because of 12, but we'd actually be a better team for it.

TJ Watt sat out last year until he got his deal done. I think agents would tell their client to sit. Why risk 60-80 million dollars over 20?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

TJ Watt sat out last year until he got his deal done. I think agents would tell their client to sit. Why risk 60-80 million dollars over 20?

If that's indeed the case and Adam's agent tells him to sit .. trade him to the Jets, Jags, Houston where he gets his money but his team is stuck in hell.

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

They very much understand ... they just don't care.  Mind boggling that they pee and moan about not being able to keep their team mates  or add to the team and yet expect to be paid what they're "worth".  They really don't give a crap.

Which is why you trade guys when they start becoming bigger than the team. I'm not saying guys shouldn't get what they can, heck we all do. What I'm saying is when I guy (Rodgers) wants to be paid at the top of his position and then demands input to the roster construction, it's time to move on.

The guy in the organization who allegedly told him to shut up and play quarterback should be promoted. The guys catering to his every whim should be fired. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

TJ Watt was 26 years old and the best EDGE in the NFL.

Davante Adams is 29 and he's a receiver.

It is better to have three alright receivers than it is to have one great receiver and two below average receivers.

20 million dollars to a receiver is a great way to not win the Super Bowl.

And I swear if anybody brings up the Rams... Don't bring up the Rams until you can point out which of their receivers made 20 million last year.

I don't think their entire receiving corps plus tight ends plus running backs combined made 20 million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

TJ Watt was 26 years old and the best EDGE in the NFL.

Davante Adams is 29 and he's a receiver.

It is better to have three alright receivers than it is to have one great receiver and two below average receivers.

20 million dollars to a receiver is a great way to not win the Super Bowl.

And I swear if anybody brings up the Rams... Don't bring up the Rams until you can point out which of their receivers made 20 million last year.

I don't think their entire receiving corps plus tight ends plus running backs combined made 20 million.

These are all your opinions. Some very valid points. 

What does any of this have to do with the economics of the NFL?  or the Packers current situation? Adams is widely considered the best WR in the league. The Packers are in this situation because they gave away all of their leverage by catering to a pompous quarterback who now thinks he's the GM too.

Yes, TJ Watt was 26 and Adams is 29. All the more reason Adam's agent is going to make sure he cashes in bigtime this contract. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

These are all your opinions. Some very valid points. 

What does any of this have to do with the economics of the NFL?  or the Packers current situation? Adams is widely considered the best WR in the league. The Packers are in this situation because they gave away all of their leverage by catering to a pompous quarterback who now thinks he's the GM too.

Yes, TJ Watt was 26 and Adams is 29. All the more reason Adam's agent is going to make sure he cashes in bigtime this contract. 

I'm not suggesting Adams shouldn't hold out, I'm suggesting he shouldn't get his way from Green Bay.

The Packers cannot expect to pay Adams, Rodgers and Jones while competing for a Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

What does this even mean? Stop what?

If the Packers want a FA, they'll sign one, when you're in this mode the cap is like a credit card, you don't pay it now, you pay it later.

The Saints are still like 40 something mil over, started the off-season at like 80 over and now could trade for Watson. 

The NFLs cap is not prohibitive until it is, we're not to that point yet.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If the Packers want a FA, they'll sign one, when you're in this mode the cap is like a credit card, you don't pay it now, you pay it later.

The Saints are still like 40 something mil over, started the off-season at like 80 over and now could trade for Watson. 

The NFLs cap is not prohibitive until it is, we're not to that point yet.

This is where your lack of perspective interferes with our conversations.

You think that one team is every team. One team is not every team.

The Packers to their very core believe in NOT damaging future for present.

You have to stop saying, "Oh, this team did this." That team did that because that's that team, not the Packers.

You are smart enough to understand this, so I don't understand why you keep saying these things. You dip over into the idealistic view of NFL free agency. Ideally, we do what every other team does when they've got an old QB and we sell out the future for the present. Pragmatically, we're the Packers and we don't do that sort of thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not suggesting Adams shouldn't hold out, I'm suggesting he shouldn't get his way from Green Bay.

The Packers cannot expect to pay Adams, Rodgers and Jones while competing for a Super Bowl.

I'm with you but we are way too far down that rabbit hole to turn back now. Rodgers is running the show, not any of the so-called front office people. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

This is where your lack of perspective interferes with our conversations.

You think that one team is every team. One team is not every team.

The Packers to their very core believe in NOT damaging future for present.

You have to stop saying, "Oh, this team did this." That team did that because that's that team, not the Packers.

You are smart enough to understand this, so I don't understand why you keep saying these things. You dip over into the idealistic view of NFL free agency. Ideally, we do what every other team does when they've got an old QB and we sell out the future for the present. Pragmatically, we're the Packers and we don't do that sort of thing.

The Packers have committed to damaging their future cap for the present by bringing back Aaron and eventually making him the highest paid player in NFL history. We pushed out salary for an OT who couldn't even come back from an ACL in 13 months. Catch up with the rest of us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Afams can report like week 7 or something and play on the tag the remaining part of the year.

There is also a mid July deadline for the franchise tagged players to sign a longterm extension.  

Deadlines lead to deals.

Deadline 1: March 16th

Deadline 2:  mid July