Team needs for the 2022 offseason.

Cutler06

While I usually try to find a gem or two in the draft, feels like we need to determine our true needs and prioritize. Know this topic will bring a few conflicting views, but it may bring a consensus over some time. Here's some of my thoughts:

1. Quarterback - Ok, Captain Obvious here, but the impact a good QB would have on this team would be exponential. That said, I don't feel like we're gonna find what we're looking for unless fate is very good to us. Right now, I can't see us getting AR12, feels like he's been using us to manipulate the Packer FO, but that could be just my opinion. Betting we have a better shot at Wilson, but again, who wants to trade a franchise QB in some of his prime years ? Another avenue may be to draft one, but this years draft class is nothing close to last year's class and Paton didn't draft one in 2021, bet he doesn't again this year as 2023 class is looking so much better. My idea would be utilize this draft to set us up for next years draft, while building the defense some more. 

2. Edge/OLB - Easy to see that we need to finding Von's replacement, guessing Paton saw the depth at the position in this year's draft before he made the trade. Even hearing the Bronco's could double-dip at the position (how would that look to Chubb ?). In this division, the best way to attack KC and LAC is to disrupt the play of Mahomes and Herbert (even Carr) so we need men who can get after the QB. Since EE has stated we'll remain in a 3-4, that's where most of our pressure will come from. 

3. RT - And yet another position we need to explore and fulfill is Right tackle, something we've tried fill in free agency, time to find a long-term replacement. We do have some options in Calvin Anderson, Quinn Bailey (mentioning for you AKRNA), Drew Himmelman and even Bobbie Massie was adequate. But Anderson should be used as a swing tackle if he's healthy(given his versatility),  Bailey and Himmelman are slightly known and Massie is more of a journeyman so there is a need here. One other thought might be to draft a G and move Risner over to RT, he has regressed a bit at LG,  he does have some college experience at the tackle position. 

4. DL - Again, more pass rush is needed. Purcell has cap casualty written all over him and really hasn't been healthy enough since signing his new contract. Agim has shown glimpses of being capable, but a true impact NT could help Dre'Mont explode. Also don't see Shelby being anything more than he is right now.  Very hopeful Jonathon Harris, a 2021 draft pick out of Mississippi St can show something this season, he has some interesting skills.

5. CB - With Fuller and Callahan both  free agents, more depth will always be required within this division. PSII and Darby will man the starting positions, but can't say I've see enough of Ojemudia, Hairston or Bassey have instilled much confidence in me to believe we won't need more secondary depth.

6. Safety - Kareem Jackson is still playing well but he is 33yo already. Sterns and Jamar Johnson were both drafted last year with Stern showing some serious potential, how much of that was due to Fangio's scheme ? Johnson is a unknown and PJ Locke has been on the team for a while but has not really established himself either so at least one pick here could be necessary 

6. Returner - Dionte Spencer was really disappointing this year as a returner IMO, and he brings nothing as a WR. Getting some help in an rea where we need some impact can only help.

7. RB - With Gordon probably leaving, Williams will need a backup although Boone is undiscovered here. 

I did not put in ILB as I feel we have some talent at the position, and we'll just have to resign 1-2 of our ILB's.  

Edited by Cutler06
spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

The defensive line is, without question, the #1 need remaining. We’ve got two guys in that entire depth chart that I feel good about playing. Like, one of Purcell, Agim, or DeShawn has to be penciled in as a starter right now. YUCK. And it’s not like the two Jones’s are some elite playmakers. They’re pretty good! But when they are *easily* your two best defensive linemen, I think you’ve got a legit problem. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The defensive line is, without question, the #1 need remaining. We’ve got two guys in that entire depth chart that I feel good about playing. Like, one of Purcell, Agim, or DeShawn has to be penciled in as a starter right now. YUCK. And it’s not like the two Jones’s are some elite playmakers. They’re pretty good! But when they are *easily* your two best defensive linemen, I think you’ve got a legit problem. 

The addition of the kid from San Francisco may help too maybe give Purcell some time at DE. On early downs. Definitely need some competition there. Hopefully we go after it in the draft 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The addition of the kid from San Francisco may help too maybe give Purcell some time at DE. On early downs. Definitely need some competition there. Hopefully we go after it in the draft 

It’s Dre’Mont Jones, DJ Jones, and then a pile of flotsam. Purcell at DE is far from ideal, plus he’s 31 and was bad last season. I hope we’re talking with both Akiem Hicks and Calais Campbell, because they’re the only guys left on the market who would really move the needle. And I think  George needs to move the needle there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s Dre’Mont Jones, DJ Jones, and then a pile of flotsam. Purcell at DE is far from ideal, plus he’s 31 and was bad last season. I hope we’re talking with both Akiem Hicks and Calais Campbell, because they’re the only guys left on the market who would really move the needle. And I think  George needs to move the needle there.

Carl Nassib wouldn't be a bad option. I think he's played 3-4 DE before too.

11 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Both Hicks and Campbell are great at their peak but signs of wear and tear are adding up.  A one year 4M type deal would be ideal.  Would still underscore the need to address DL long term.  

Really the only 3 guys on our team we can pencil in for 2023 roster wise are both Jones’ and Agim. Everyone else is 30+ or hasn’t shown anything (J-Harris, M-Spencer).   And even Agim it’s more about projection.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Both Hicks and Campbell are great at their peak but signs of wear and tear are adding up.  A one year 4M type deal would be ideal.  Would still underscore the need to address DL long term.  

Really the only 3 guys on our team we can pencil in for 2023 roster wise are both Jones’ and Agim. Everyone else is 30+ or hasn’t shown anything (J-Harris, M-Spencer).   And even Agim it’s more about projection.  

Well Agim has been pretty lackluster in two years he's been on the team. I'm not sure we should expect much more from him than what we've already gotten. 

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well Agim has been pretty lackluster in two years he's been on the team. I'm not sure we should expect much more from him than what we've already gotten. 

Yeah it’s just when you’re cheap it’s a lot of roster security.  This is his make / break year.   It’s also why a Hicks / Campbell signing would be great if it’s at the 1-year bargain tier we usually see now.   Going more than 1 year a lot riskier given their stage of career.  

The benefit of our draft pick complement is it really does allow Paton to take most talented guys.   T / EDGE /  CB / DL / TE all are needed for 2023+.    But not immediately.   So he doesn’t have to reach if the value isn’t there.   I do think he’s going to consider moving up for 1 impact mid Rd2 guy but otherwise can build depth with talented guys.   It’s the same idea that enabled Paton to take Sterns last year Day 3 even with K-Jackson as our 2021 starter.   That kind of approach always better in the long run.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Our last coaching staff really stifled away some talent here, perhaps the new staff can help cultivate Agim's performances. He did show some flashes this last year. And while expectations are as high, I'm still interested in seeing what Marquiss Spencer has in him.  

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Our last coaching staff really stifled away some talent here, perhaps the new staff can help cultivate Agim's performances. He did show some flashes this last year. And while expectations are as high, I'm still interested in seeing what Marquiss Spencer has in him.  

That is true. The previous regime also seemed loathe to play rookies and young players in key roles. 

• Like 1