Should/could Evan Neal go first overall?

biggie.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I mean, that hasn't happened.

And, Landry re-signed with the Titans.

it was  wishful thinking but again this is a Fairly Deep Edge class  and we could take 1 that falls to round 2 or 3 not to mention theres a couple of good stop gap options out there as well as a decent 3-4 year starter option in Hassan Reddick. 

this hutchinson fascination seems like a smoke screen for the lions to trade us something to get him.  hes a good edge rusher for a 4-3 team however we are a 3-4 team and doesnt fit/profile well to a Sam Spot unless caldwell wants to do something different especially in an Agressive 3-4 like the bucs run. 

Any of about 12 guys can legitimately be the #1 pick in this class, because there is not standout sure thing stud who looks head and shoulders above everyone else, and Neal is definitely in that list.  Sure, he isn't Orlando Pace, but Hutch isn't Myles Garrett either, Willis isn't Joe Burrow, none of the WR are Calvin Johnson.  Honestly, if I have the #1 pick, i'd be tempted to go with Sauce.

46 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Any of about 12 guys can legitimately be the #1 pick in this class, because there is not standout sure thing stud who looks head and shoulders above everyone else, and Neal is definitely in that list.  Sure, he isn't Orlando Pace, but Hutch isn't Myles Garrett either, Willis isn't Joe Burrow, none of the WR are Calvin Johnson.  Honestly, if I have the #1 pick, i'd be tempted to go with Sauce.

So we'd have Tyson(chicken) and sauce for the future. Not sure how shaq griffin fits the nickel

10 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

it was  wishful thinking but again this is a Fairly Deep Edge class  and we could take 1 that falls to round 2 or 3 not to mention theres a couple of good stop gap options out there as well as a decent 3-4 year starter option in Hassan Reddick. 

this hutchinson fascination seems like a smoke screen for the lions to trade us something to get him.  hes a good edge rusher for a 4-3 team however we are a 3-4 team and doesnt fit/profile well to a Sam Spot unless caldwell wants to do something different especially in an Agressive 3-4 like the bucs run. 

Thibodeaux fits as a OLB.  I agree that Hutchinson looks to be 4-3 edge only at this point just because of his weight.  It would be nice to see them work out as OLBs.  Otherise, IMHO, Johnson is the #1 OLB

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Thibodeaux fits as a OLB.  I agree that Hutchinson looks to be 4-3 edge only at this point just because of his weight.  It would be nice to see them work out as OLBs.  Otherise, IMHO, Johnson is the #1 OLB

Plenty of 3-4 OLB that weigh 260 or more

• Like 1

I would think it’s his stiffness that would make Hutch not ideal as a linebacker.

Honestly, the player I thought of watching him play, with the inside stunts, and the constant swatting at hands of OLs and at the ball when it’s thrown was a smaller, weaker, JJ Watt.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

It's not the weight thing for me. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I would think it’s his stiffness that would make Hutch not ideal as a linebacker.

Honestly, the player I thought of watching him play, with the inside stunts, and the constant swatting at hands of OLs and at the ball when it’s thrown was a smaller, weaker, JJ Watt.

If we did take him Id try to make him be a DL either as a 3 or 5tech.   But I wouldn't take that for a project at 1. 

4 hours ago, JetsCrash said:

Thibodeaux or Hutchinson should go first overall. The Jaguars need more help on the d-line than the o-line. 

The more I've thought about it the more I kind of disagree. 

They've got a generational QB Prospect in Trevor Lawrence on the line here. And he struggled as a Rookie. 

If they don't draft one of either Evan Neal @ RT or Ikem Ekwonu @ RG/RT? 

I think it'll be absolutely, criminal. 

Give Trevor Lawrence a clean pocket and he'll show the NFL world why he became the 1st and only True Freshman to ever win an NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (straight out of High school) since dating back to 1985 (the year I was born).

Focus too much on sexy Defensive picks and Jacksonville could end up destroying the A+ potential of last years #1 overall pick. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

They've got a generational QB Prospect in Trevor Lawrence on the line here. And he struggled as a Rookie. 

Give Trevor Lawrence a clean pocket and he'll show the NFL world why he became the 1st and only True Freshman to ever win an NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (straight out of High school) since dating back to 1985 (the year I was born).

Focus too much on sexy Defensive picks and Jacksonville could end up destroying the A+ potential of last years #1 overall pick. 

Between Cam Robinson and Walker Little, they're OK at OT.  They still should draft some OLs early to fix the rest of the line, but neither of those two are bad.

If they stock up on receivers and OLs after that first pick, they should be fine.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, Daniel said:

Hutchinson is agile and intelligent. He can handle the coverage assignments a gifted pass rusher at 3-4 OLB gets. The harder coverage assignments would almost certainly go to Josh Allen.

22 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Outside of Josh Allen, they really do not have any quality starters on their defensive line, while they have decent offensive tackles. Crafting a good defense is important in creating a good team around a franchise player, even if the player is on the other side of the ball. The Jaguars need to build a defense that can generate takeaways and not finish bottom 5 in points allowed. There is a lot of work to be done on both sides of the ball, but taking a potentially elite EDGE rusher is extremely helpful in creating a good team. 

4 hours ago, JetsCrash said:

Outside of Josh Allen, they really do not have any quality starters on their defensive line, while they have decent offensive tackles. Crafting a good defense is important in creating a good team around a franchise player, even if the player is on the other side of the ball. The Jaguars need to build a defense that can generate takeaways and not finish bottom 5 in points allowed. There is a lot of work to be done on both sides of the ball, but taking a potentially elite EDGE rusher is extremely helpful in creating a good team. 

in case you missed it and ,judging by your comments of Josh Allen being a DL you did, the Jags run a 3-4.  we have 3 solid starters in the front 3.  only thing we need is a 3-4 OLB and i anticipate us being in that market.   

taking Ikem is arguebly BPA with the better Scheme fit then taking Hutchinson(who should be a 3-4 DL in this scheme and not a 3-4 OLB. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...