Bengals Draft

THE DUKE

I saw in the local workout list they had Miami of Ohio S Sterling Weatherford listed as a LB.  I love the idea of taking him to use as a coverage LB.  He's already 6'4" 224 lbs, you could pretty easily get him up over 230 to add a little more strength against the run and his 4.6 40 is great for LB, and he runs a sub 7 second 3 cone.  32 inch arms along with his height will let him body up on TE's and he's fast enough to run with most RB's, and could even pick up slot WR's in a pinch.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Good list of guys the Bengals have met with:

Cincinnati Bengals 2022 pre-draft visit, meetings tracker (usatoday.com)

Odds are we'll see 3-5 of these names as Bengals picks by the end of the draft.  Particular guys I like as late round fliers are WR Isaiah Weston, DB Tony Adams, S Joey Blount, Edge DeAngelo Malone, and 3T Eric Johnson

Hall, McBride and Pierce in play in the second.  Winfrey too.  Especially if they flip their first and another pick for a couple of higher end second rounders.

Hitting the different simulators to see different boards and situations

Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Kyler Gordon
    CB, Washington
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Nik Bonitto
    EDGE, Oklahoma
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Jeremy Ruckert
    TE, Ohio State
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Alec Pierce
    WR, Cincinnati
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cade Mays
    IOL, Tennessee

Cincinnati Bengals
    Chance Campbell
    LB, Ole Miss
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Joey Blount
    S, Virginia
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Curtis Brooks
    IDL, Cincinnati

4 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I like that draft. I would honestly be surprised at this point with that many offensive players drafted. I expect the majority of this draft to defense 

Pierce I went with because of value, he'd be a steal in rd 4 to be WR4 and have 2 years to develop into WR 3 or maybe even 2 if it's too costly to keep Higgins.  I think they take at least one IOL at some point this draft, and i'll be shocked if we don't get at least 1 TE.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Pierce I went with because of value, he'd be a steal in rd 4 to be WR4 and have 2 years to develop into WR 3 or maybe even 2 if it's too costly to keep Higgins.  I think they take at least one IOL at some point this draft, and i'll be shocked if we don't get at least 1 TE.

I do agree with Pierce. And overall I like the draft. I just bet when the draft is done, it is 5 defenders picked. if we draft down in a round to pick up an additional pick then it could get to 3 offensive players 

2 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I do agree with Pierce. And overall I like the draft. I just bet when the draft is done, it is 5 defenders picked. if we draft down in a round to pick up an additional pick then it could get to 3 offensive players 

We have 8 picks, I took 5 defensive (including the first two) and 3 offensive.

1 minute ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Don't bring out facts and logic at me Duke. I'll edit my point since first was wrong. I do not expect an offensive player in first 4 picks 

I'll be surprised if at least one of the first three picks isn't offense.  Even in the past few years we had Ossai in rd 3 in 2021 (and Cam Sample next), Logan Wilson in rd 3 in 2020 (AKD next too), Pratt in rd 3 in 2019, Bates in rd 2 in 2018 (Hubbard in rd 3).  Even with such an offensive focus recently, there was always defense before day 3, and as such, I think we see at least one offensive pick before day 3 this year.

Fair point. I just look at our biggest needs and its CB, DT, S and DE. And we only have 2 players in our secondary under contract for 2023 or beyond. I think the team will wait for a late round development TE. WR could be picked earlier especially if it is a dynamic returner. As for O line, I get the feeling they are happy with what they have and do the typical late round grab of 1 if they take a guy. 

18 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Fair point. I just look at our biggest needs and its CB, DT, S and DE. And we only have 2 players in our secondary under contract for 2023 or beyond. I think the team will wait for a late round development TE. WR could be picked earlier especially if it is a dynamic returner. As for O line, I get the feeling they are happy with what they have and do the typical late round grab of 1 if they take a guy. 

I think day 3 is by far the most likely spot for us to take a TE........unless......the right guy is there.  I could see McBride at 63, Ruckert or Dulcich at 95, and pretty much everyone else who I think they'd  maybe take sometime on day 3.  It's going to be about how their board is ranked and where the value is.  It's not impossible the first three picks are all defense, but if it is, it will be value dictated.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think day 3 is by far the most likely spot for us to take a TE........unless......the right guy is there.  I could see McBride at 63, Ruckert or Dulcich at 95, and pretty much everyone else who I think they'd  maybe take sometime on day 3.  It's going to be about how their board is ranked and where the value is.  It's not impossible the first three picks are all defense, but if it is, it will be value dictated.

Absolutely agreed. We are in a position where there isn't such a massive needs its insane. I think corner is the biggest need, but with Apple resigned, it is not as blatant. They will stick to their board. It will also be fascinating to see where Ruckert goes since he did nothing this offseason. And if Woods draft hype is more on twitter than in NFL front offices.  

I'm not sure TE is a bigger need than WR4. The team also knows where it stands with Bates and unsigned vets like Spain and Ogunjobi. So their priorities might not be the same as ours. 

I'd rank our draft needs in this order: CB, S, WR, DT, TE, LG.

That's not to say they wouldn't take an IOL at 31 if he's BPA and they feel good about the depth at other positions.