Bengals Draft

THE DUKE

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm not sure TE is a bigger need than WR4. The team also knows where it stands with Bates and unsigned vets like Spain and Ogunjobi. So their priorities might not be the same as ours. 

I'd rank our draft needs in this order: CB, S, WR, DT, TE, LG.

That's not to say they wouldn't take an IOL at 31 if he's BPA and they feel good about the depth at other positions.

I agree that we have options at 3T and LG, but that doesn't diminish the need for younger players there.  Signing guys to one year deals just pushes the long term need down a year.  We can't afford young, productive players at those positions at this point.  We need to get younger and cheaper while still being productive.  These are draft picks.  With the looming extensions for our offensive core, that need is magnified now.  We can't go into next year's draft with a ton of holes to fill because I think we spend most of our free agent money on extensions for any of the following:  Williams, pratt, Joey B, Higgins and Logan Wilson.  I also won't be shocked if they tage Bates again because he's still cheaper than what his agent is apparently asking for.

Missouri St DT Eric Johnson had a top 30 visit with the Bengals today, athletic 3 tech

Eric Johnson II RAS

Also OK St LB Devin Harper, don't know too much about him, but other than being a little short, he tested as an elite athlete

Devin Harper RAS

And Wake Forest WR Jaquarii Roberson

Jaquarii Roberson RAS

It looks like the Bengals are bringing in a ton of day 3 high RAS guys to look at, and i'm all about gambling on athletic upside on day 3.

Edited by THE DUKE

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd swap 3T and S, otherwise, I agree.

IMO we need a replacement for Ricardo Neal right away who has potential to replace Bates or Bell in 2023. I don't see a cheap vet who would do that. For 3T, I'd like to see a midround pick used for someone with some upside but we could fill the backup spot with Ogunjobi or Daniels if forced to. 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I agree that we have options at 3T and LG, but that doesn't diminish the need for younger players there.  Signing guys to one year deals just pushes the long term need down a year.  We can't afford young, productive players at those positions at this point.  We need to get younger and cheaper while still being productive.  These are draft picks.  With the looming extensions for our offensive core, that need is magnified now.  We can't go into next year's draft with a ton of holes to fill because I think we spend most of our free agent money on extensions for any of the following:  Williams, pratt, Joey B, Higgins and Logan Wilson.  I also won't be shocked if they tage Bates again because he's still cheaper than what his agent is apparently asking for.

I agree next offseason will be about re-signing or replacing current players. I think Burrow's extension will be kicked down the road to 2024, before his 5th season. Williams will be going into his 5th year and the team will want to extend him in 2023. Tee as well and probably Wilson too. Also Awuzie. If Pratt isn't asking for a lot, he might get extended this summer. We have 19 mil in cap space for 2022 with the rookies costing less than 5 mil gross and with Bates on the tag. We should be able to get a deal done with Bates or be drafting his replacement this year. Mixon is pretty overpaid for what he does so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in 2023, replaced by a rookie. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

IMO we need a replacement for Ricardo Neal right away who has potential to replace Bates or Bell in 2023. I don't see a cheap vet who would do that. For 3T, I'd like to see a midround pick used for someone with some upside but we could fill the backup spot with Ogunjobi or Daniels if forced to. 

Ricardo Allen's snaps dropped way off by the end of the season. Michael Thomas was ahead of him on the depth chart. Still need to add someone there, but not nearly as pressing as a replacement for Ogunjobi.

• Like 1

• CIN
    Zion Johnson
    OG Boston College

• CIN
    Logan Hall
    DT Houston

• CIN
    Jalyn Armour-Davis
    CB Alabama

• CIN
    Sterling Weatherford
    LB Miami-Oh
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Josh Paschal
    EDGE Kentucky

• CIN
    Joey Blount
    S Virginia

• CIN
    Andrew Ogletree
    TE Youngstown State

• CIN
    Curtis Brooks
    DT Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Isaiah Weston
    WR Northern Iowa

15 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

If I had to put money on it today, Logan Hall is the pick at 31 

I'd be cool with that, he'd likely get 500+ snaps between 3T, pass downs inside along side BJ Hill, and spelling Hendrickson and Hubbard at DE on run downs.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd be cool with that, he'd likely get 500+ snaps between 3T, pass downs inside along side BJ Hill, and spelling Hendrickson and Hubbard at DE on run downs.

Agreed. I think I am down to him and Elam at 31. With Elam potentially not being there. but this DT class is horrible where as there are corners later. But then again, the team hasn't taken a D lineman in the 1st round since Justin Smith. So who knows

24 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We shouldn't use a first round pick on a DT. We have our starters, just need a backup. We can find that in the mid-rounds. CB or S are where we need to add talent and youth. Then WR, DT, and TE. 

All those picks are backups this year. And if the value isn't there, I wouldn't go with a CB or S. I do think the secondary is the biggest need moving forward though 

50 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If we take a CB in round 1, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Apple by the end of the year.

If we take an IOL, I'd give him a good chance to beat out Carman. 

Agreed. I expect the CB to beat out Apple. If they take one at 31 I think that is the plan. Same with IOL. If it is Linderbaum I dont think it is a contest as they move Karas out to LG.