2022 Offseason Discussion

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right, they’re great slot guys because they can’t win on the outside.

If you just want a possession guy, I think DPJ and the TE’s can do a lot of the same things.

As far as Schwartz, as bad as he was teams have to at least respect his speed.  If he gets a step, you’re not recovering. It’s much harder to press a guy in the slot and much harder to cover a guy with his speed when you can’t use your hands to slow him down.

Sure they all have a talent to bring to the table, I just worry in a extremely pivotal season for the coaching staff/Baker/everybody I dont want to rely on late round picks with 1 or 2 traits to do anything substantial.

I really really dont want to see Felton/Schwartz doing anything besides running a few specialty players here and there and frankly, DPJ should be on a incredibly short leash too. he looked like a 7th round pick A LOT last year.

After watching the 2 teams in the Superbowl--I wouldnt be opposed to getting a guy like Robinson/Kirk and then still drafting London/Olave/Wilson at #13.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sure they all have a talent to bring to the table, I just worry in a extremely pivotal season for the coaching staff/Baker/everybody I dont want to rely on late round picks with 1 or 2 traits to do anything substantial.

who’s relying on them?  If we draft a R1/2 dude they’re our #2.  Cooper our 1.  DPJ is a middling #3 right now with plenty of room to improve. Schwartz is just 21 and was a day 2 pick.  He should improve.

I really really dont want to see Felton/Schwartz doing anything besides running a few specialty players here and there and frankly, DPJ should be on a incredibly short leash too.

Schwartz is a #4 guy and a deep threat, that’s it. DPJ is an adequate #3. Felton is a #5-6 guy with RB versatility.

After watching the 2 teams in the Superbowl--I wouldnt be opposed to getting a guy like Robinson/Kirk and then still drafting London/Olave/Wilson at #13.

Stop watching other teams and watch ours.  We don’t run that style of offense.  It’s a ball control, high efficiency, low target volume to one specific receiver, run first offense.  You don’t need to be 5 deep at receiver.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I really really dont want to see Felton/Schwartz doing anything besides running a few specialty players here and there and frankly, DPJ should be on a incredibly short leash too.

It is going to be interesting 

But I have Jameson as my number 1 receiver.Te idea that you could draft Olave 1st then trade up for Jameson with Njoku and chubb on the field The Browns would be the highest scoring team plus have a excellent Defense .

3 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

It is going to be interesting 

But I have Jameson as my number 1 receiver.Te idea that you could draft Olave 1st then trade up for Jameson with Njoku and chubb on the field The Browns would be the highest scoring team plus have a excellent Defense .

Yes and I wonder if Stefanski would change the offense a bit if he actually had 3 talented WRs to get the ball to that were handpicked and not inherited.

Having 3 legit WRs also gives you flexibility if one has a down year or gets injured.

Edited by AkronsWitness

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

who’s relying on them?  If we draft a R1/2 dude they’re our #2.  Cooper our 1.  DPJ is a middling #3 right now with plenty of room to improve. Schwartz is just 21 and was a day 2 pick.  He should improve.

Schwartz is a #4 guy and a deep threat, that’s it. DPJ is an adequate #3. Felton is a #5-6 guy with RB versatility.

Stop watching other teams and watch ours.  We don’t run that style of offense.  It’s a ball control, high efficiency, low target volume to one specific receiver, run first offense.  You don’t need to be 5 deep at receiver.  

We can be a ball control offense but we still need to be able to open it up and pass when needed. That was our problem last year. Teams focused on shutting down the run and they did--then Baker couldnt throw and our passing game looked like a joke.

Just because your not a pass heavy offense doesnt mean you shouldnt invest in those players for when you need to be a pass heavy offense.

We can be a ball control offense but we still need to be able to open it up and pass when needed. That was our problem last year. Teams focused on shutting down the run and they did--then Baker couldnt throw and our passing game looked like a joke.

Just because your not a pass heavy offense doesnt mean you shouldnt invest in those players for when you need to be a pass heavy offense.

We couldn’t open things up because we had a bunch of guys who needed to play in the slot as our starting receivers.

We didn’t have anyone who drew coverage and could beat 1:1 coverage by a good corner on the outside (I’ll still argue OBJ is a lot closer to a 2 than a 1).

Cooper can do that.  Hopefully the dude we draft high can do that. 

Anyway, I think it’s irrelevant anyway.  I just don’t say anyone who has the ability we’re discussing coming here, to play on this offense, especially after trading for Cooper.