2022 Offseason Discussion

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's all fine and good but this is the last year where we aren't going to be in cap hell so it makes no sense to extend anything beyond this year.

I know y'all don't think the cap isn't real but it's real enough that you can't just ignore it. I don't think we sign anyone beyond a 1 year deal this year (unless they are really cheap) and we aren't pushing Baker's money into the future.

Weird...I see that the Rams just signed Bobby Wagner to 5 year and 50 mil....they were in better shape than we were?

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

Weird...I see that the Rams just signed Bobby Wagner to 5 year and 50 mil....they were in better shape than we were?

They have 38 guys signed for next year and 31 million in cap space.

We have 25 guys signed for next year and 6 in cap space.

Yes, they are in a lot better position than we are.

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They have 38 guys signed for next year and 31 million in cap space.

We have 25 guys signed for next year and 6 in cap space.

Yes, they are in a lot better position than we are.

We are like 1 restructure away from a healthy cap situation. 

With our draft class from this year we will have like 29-31 guys.

It's not the end of the world. 

34 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We are like 1 restructure away from a healthy cap situation. 

With our draft class from this year we will have like 29-31 guys.

It's not the end of the world. 

And we'll be spend about 6 million on those. So we just need to free up enough to sign 20 some more players.

I'm worried about the cap assuming we have no intention in signing Ward.

We can restructure some guys, but Watson and Cooper just signed their deals this year and I don't think we intend to throw more money at them to restructure a year later.

We owe Garrett about 120 over the next 4 years (23-26) so you can push it back a year restructuring him but it's not a fix.

Teller is owed 17 per from 23-25 you can reduce it a year like Garrett but it eventually catches up.

Bitonio already has a voided year.

23 will be Chubb's first year as a decent salary but you could save some for a few years with him if you extend him.

It isn't the end of the world but we shouldn't be expecting any free agency splashes this year or the next few. It isn't realistic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

And we'll be spend about 6 million on those. So we just need to free up enough to sign 20 some more players.

I'm worried about the cap assuming we have no intention in signing Ward.

We can restructure some guys, but Watson and Cooper just signed their deals this year and I don't think we intend to throw more money at them to restructure a year later.

We owe Garrett about 120 over the next 4 years (23-26) so you can push it back a year restructuring him but it's not a fix.

Teller is owed 17 per from 23-25 you can reduce it a year like Garrett but it eventually catches up.

Bitonio already has a voided year.

23 will be Chubb's first year as a decent salary but you could save some for a few years with him if you extend him.

It isn't the end of the world but we shouldn't be expecting any free agency splashes this year or the next few. It isn't realistic.

It wouldn't surprise me if we trade teller for a 3rd or so. 

47 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we trade teller for a 3rd or so. 

If we did that next offseason we would save almost 6 million but he would still count over 10 against the cap so we would need to replace him with someone making very little to make it financially worth it. 

We don't have any contracts where we would save a significant amount of money in a trade and not still be on the hook for 2/3 of their cap hit.

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Man the Browns are really out here doing everything but extending Denzel Ward.

It's beyond ridiculous tbh. He plays a premier position at an elite level. Not re-signing him is beyond stupid IMO, especially if we are going to be "ahead a lot" and teams are going to be throwing. Pass rush (Myles, check) and a lockdown secondary (JJ3, Denzel, Newsome) are necessities.

• Like 3