2022 Offseason Discussion

With our cap in an average situation, would it be worth packaging Hunt with Baker to a team to eat the money? 

Baker and Hunt to a team for a 3rd or rounder or something like that? 

the lions could pull it off. 

Save us 24 million. 

We could then resign maybe Ward and Clowney. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be fair I think we got the 35th pick for eating 15 a few years ago.

Yeah but Brock had like 3 more years left on that deal in Houston. So if he stayed there it would have been a lot more than 15M. He was like 1 year into a 70M deal. So that made sense at the time. 

48 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

With our cap in an average situation, would it be worth packaging Hunt with Baker to a team to eat the money? 

Save us 24 million. 

No. Keep hunt. we can resign ward next year regardless and clowney can resign now with no issue. So it doesn’t help us. We don’t need to screw with the running game. 

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Have you forgotten the Osweiler trade?

Like I said before that was different. We were taking a giant contact off of their books. This would just be giving them baker at no cost. Is baker at no cost worth the 32nd pick? I’m not sure it is. 

32 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Like I said before that was different. We were taking a giant contact off of their books. This would just be giving them baker at no cost. Is baker at no cost worth the 32nd pick? I’m not sure it is. 

Dunno.

We used the pick we got in that trade for Chubb.

If it would yield a player of that caliber, I say it would be worth it, which, of course, is a crap shoot.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Dunno.

We used the pick we got in that trade for Chubb.

If it would yield a player of that caliber, I say it would be worth it, which, of course, is a crap shoot.

I’m talking about from the Texans viewpoint. Would getting baker at no financial cost be worth it to them go give us the 32nd pick? I don’t think it would be. Especially when he’ll just be a FA they could just outright sign the following year and they will most likely draft a qb anyway. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

Few people have commented on special teams needs and performance.  Kudos to AB for picking up Grant one of the best punt and kick returner plus Borquez punter who netted 41 yds per punt. Our special teams last year was at the bottom of NFL and now we are looking good with the addition of a kicker.  I suggest we draft the best one available and let Pfeifer coach him up.

In regards to cap space and money, first priority is to extend Ward and Njodku sometime after June but get a deal now.  Signing Clowney and Landry has to be at our number!  ABhas demonstrated he wants to fill all starting positions before the draft.

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Save us 24 million. 

Excellent point.

Looks like the geeks are not thru shopping.

My best guess Cooks or Clowney. 

As much as I think Brandon Cooks would look good here, I dont think trading probably a 2nd rounder plus signing him to an extension is a good idea.  I would rather use that pick on one of the quality rookie WRs that I believe will be there with that pick and use the cap space for another quality player, say Clowney.

• Like 1

We face some pretty bad QBs next year…

The toughest QBs we face are: Josh Allen, Tom Brady, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Burrow.

Other than that, you’re talking: Mac Jones, Jameis Winston, Carson Wentz, Tua Tagovailoa, Zach Wilson, Mitch Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, and Davis Mills.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/04/05/2022-cleveland-browns-ranks/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We face some pretty bad QBs next year…

The toughest QBs we face are: Josh Allen, Tom Brady, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Burrow.

Other than that, you’re talking: Mac Jones, Jameis Winston, Carson Wentz, Tua Tagovailoa, Zach Wilson, Mitch Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, and Davis Mills.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/04/05/2022-cleveland-browns-ranks/

Thank you for this, this made me smile.

Good lord

Look at the money difference between offense and defense in 2023. I mean yes, Watson is expensive, but even if you take out his money you’re still looking at a 40 mil difference.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

Maybe that’s the strategy….? Use cheap rookies on defense. For me, a lot will be decided based on what happens with Clowney.

In terms of playoff contenders, only the Ravens and Patriots will spend less on defense than us in 2023.

Ravens are analytic heavy and the Pats are known for developing nobodies and getting production out of them on defense.

Maybe the front office trusts their ability to draft and develop defensive guys better….? Newsome and JOK are studs and I like Delpit.