Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think it is about what domino falls first.  Rodgers, Adams, Jaire, Preston, Z are the big pieces that can be used to get the cap relief.   But do any of them want to give anything back without getting something in return

yup.   lots of moving parts and pieces that will hinge off each other.  

Interesting next 5 days ahead

Rodgers is the piece. Adams won't do anything without him locked in. Z is going to be cut, I'm sure that will be announced here soon. Jaire has the most to gain financially as he's going to be paid, but that's a legit extension and will probably take the longest to complete.

It all revolves around Aaron to me. His commitment to play for us without putting pen to paper means nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm starting to think they've done nothing. Those cap sights were right on it when it came to Clark and Jones restructures. They have changed nothing on their sites. Rodgers cap hit is the same. 

I think the Adams piece is what is holding everything up. He he doesn't get signed to an extension, the whole thing could implode. 

I don't think they would have franchise tagged Davante Adams without having the cap space available (whether it be via a long-term extension with Adams or the Rodgers' extension).  IF Rodgers' extension clears the necessary cap space for Adams' franchise tag, the Packers are $25.7M over the salary cap.  Z has been mentioned as a pretty easy cap casualty, so unless they can find a late trade partner he's clearing $15.3M plus Randall Cobb clears another $6.7M which pushes the Packers to just $3.7M over the cap.  You have to figure that a Preston Smith extension (which has been rumored) would likely get the Packers below the salary cap.  At that point, you can probably start talking extension with Jaire Alexander and a long-term deal with Davante Adams that creates additional cap space.

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think they would have franchise tagged Davante Adams without having the cap space available (whether it be via a long-term extension with Adams or the Rodgers' extension).  IF Rodgers' extension clears the necessary cap space for Adams' franchise tag, the Packers are $25.7M over the salary cap.  Z has been mentioned as a pretty easy cap casualty, so unless they can find a late trade partner he's clearing $15.3M plus Randall Cobb clears another $6.7M which pushes the Packers to just $3.7M over the cap.  You have to figure that a Preston Smith extension (which has been rumored) would likely get the Packers below the salary cap.  At that point, you can probably start talking extension with Jaire Alexander and a long-term deal with Davante Adams that creates additional cap space.

That is where it gets interesting because you know Rodgers wants Cobb back and Cobb played well last year. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

did Cobb play well?

3.25 targets per game, 2.3 rec per game

That’s the price you pay for having a QB who only throws to players he’s played with for 7 years.

Jordy Nelson would be better for us than a second round rookie this year.

A first round rookie might do well for us only because Rodgers would want to be like, “See how good I could have been if you had done this for me sooner?”

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

did Cobb play well?

3.25 targets per game, 2.3 rec per game

His role was WR3-4. He gained 13.4ypc, had 5TDs on only 39 targets, was on pace for 40 catches, 530 yards and 7 TD's. Hard to see how he wasn't playing well in that role. MVS has never cracked 40 reception in a season, despite being WR2 for 4 straight years. 

Forget numbers, are you suggesting that Cobb wasn't running quality routes last season? Wasn't giving great effort? Wasn't impacting games? He was doing all that. 

45 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

His role was WR3-4. He gained 13.4ypc, had 5TDs on only 39 targets, was on pace for 40 catches, 530 yards and 7 TD's. Hard to see how he wasn't playing well in that role. MVS has never cracked 40 reception in a season, despite being WR2 for 4 straight years. 

Forget numbers, are you suggesting that Cobb wasn't running quality routes last season? Wasn't giving great effort? Wasn't impacting games? He was doing all that. 

He was on pace yet didn't continue that pace.  Expecting a 31+ year old WR to find the fountain of youth is a foolish endeavor 

• Like 1

I find it really odd that Andrew Brandt went from "the Packers have a plan and know what they're doing", then was proven wrong about Rodgers coming back, and now thinks they might be dumb enough to give him a deal with a 1 year escape clause where they could lose him for nothing after this season.

Rodgers wants to be wanted and he wants the team to commit to both him and a supporting cast, which they have and will continue to do. Rodgers will be a Packer beyond Jordan Love. It's that simple.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Possibly.  But Cobb knows he has leverage.

And that is the whole problem with catering to Rodgers every wish. Because Cobb should have ZERO leverage because nobody else wants him. 

Edited by Old Guy