Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And if Rodgers isn't ready to leave? Or is pissy that we drafted a QB in round 1 and wants to take his ball and go home?

Then it will be a failure of Gute, Mark, Russ and Matt.

If they didn’t tell Rodgers part of this deal is by year 2 or 3 of it we are drafting a guy… they are setting themselves up and regardless of the drama QB stuff Rodgers pulls… none of it will be his fault.

I guess it depends on how honest everyone was in negotiations. If it was me I’d tell Rodgers this is the last contract here… and that my expectations are for him to play for us all of those years or 3 years or whatever.

If he couldn’t agree to this honesty then they needed to move on this off-season. I’m hoping this discuss happened and all parties agreed.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure they are, a huge number are reported as "X is the contract, with it likely to be Y over the course of 3 years" is how most things are reported.

Go on here and show me one deal here that is reported in the manner you describe or like the Rodgers deal!
https://forums.footballsfuture.com/forum/5-nfl-news/

All deals are reported with the headline total money and number of years, I have never seen a deal reported as likely to be earned

This is both similar and different to the Aaron Jones deal, just made for the MVP QB.

Both include 2 years at the end that in all likelihood won't be played by the player or paid by the team.

The difference is that the Packers WILL be eating major dead money in year 4 with Rodgers, whereas with Jones they won't be eating nearly as big of a hit in year 3 (when he is released).

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pugger check yourself.

I have never hoped the Packers would lose, and I never said that. You have this nasty habit of putting words in my mouth and I wish you’d stop.

I believe it would be the best thing. I don’t want it to happen, never said I did. In McCarthy’s final year I was one of a very few who never once hoped we would lose games. In the Brett Hundley year it was the same thing. I have never, would never hope for a Packer loss, and you should feel bad for suggesting it because your reading comprehension isn’t great.

It gets old.

Then perhaps you should word your posts differently.

13 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yet fans are so eager to take a step back and not go for it. When the Packers didn't "go for it" in the past, and refused to take on future cap pain, fans bemoaned not aggressively going for championships in a contending window. It's like the fanbase and the front office have completely switched places. Never seen anything like it and it honesty makes little sense.

Maybe bcuz we had confidence in our QB getting it done in the past. Fans so eager to double down on something that isn’t working makes even less sense. 

14 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

There is no scenario in which having 45 million in dead cap doesn't matter. It will always make your team worse than it could potentially have been.

A scenario in which the cap is growing by the time this bomb goes off and if you factor in whatever rookie QB deal they likely will have with it… they are just setting a price tag for QB play.

My point is when this occurs it will be 45million + rookie QB contract cap hit for starting QB play. The issue is unless the have a horse shoe full of luck up their you know what and hit on a QB in the draft the starting QB for GB that year likely isnt going to have play on the field that is worth that hit.

But that cap hit for that position isn’t unheard of at this point. In fact it’s going to be business as usual moving forward now for the league.

Thats why Gute just needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat with his next highly drafted QB and hope he is Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, etc.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

That's not what I asked anyway, this is exactly my point again, this paints the deal in another way of saying it 3 year $100m deal.

I don't know what your point is then? Everybody knows that the contract as is FIRST reported is pointless. It's only when the STRUCTURE is reported that it becomes relevant. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know what your point is then? Everybody knows that the contract as is FIRST reported is pointless. It's only when the STRUCTURE is reported that it becomes relevant. 

The point is depedning on your narrative that deal looks to be high or fair in how you wish to report it. And that 99% of deals are never reported by 'likely to be earned' so thats why I call this deal a 5 year total deal at $186m, rather than a 3 year $150m deal.  Anyway each to their own, it doesn't really matter, this money all gets pushed around regardless.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

The point is depedning on your narrative that deal looks to be high or fair in how you wish to report it. And that 99% of deals are never reported by 'likely to be earned' so thats why I call this deal a 5 year total deal at $186m, rather than a 3 year $150m deal.  Anyway each to their own, it doesn't really matter, this money all gets pushed around regardless.

Anybody who is claiming that this is "Fair" because it's 5/186, is being intellectual dishonest. 

12 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Maybe bcuz we had confidence in our QB getting it done in the past. Fans so eager to double down on something that isn’t working makes even less sense. 

I keep seeing variations of this. And honestly I'll be skeptical of Rodgers clenching the football throughout the playoffs myself. But what alternative to keeping Rodgers is out there that keeps the Packers a championship contender while they have some of the best talent in the league at WR, LT, RB, CB, OLB, and DT? And before anyone says Love, believe me if he was "IT", they had a million opportunities to give Rodgers the hand, deal him away, and hand the keys over to young Jordan. The gap between the two is colossal. Turning it over to Love would be wasting a team loaded with some of the league's top talent at the most important positions. What teams pass on fielding a legitimate championship contender right in thick of the primes of some of their top talent?

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 1