Packers should extend Jordan Love

PossibleCabbage

12 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Getting rid of Rodgers was always going to be a hassle whether he won 2 consecutive MVPs or not. If Love was any decent Gute would have rolled the dice on him like we did with Rodgers back in the day, not give a 4 year extension to a 38 year old QB.

This isn't Brett Favre.

Not an extension, not a trade.

Just wait and see how this turns out for the next couple months.

Worst case scenario:  Rodgers doesn't sign an extension.  They convert his base into bonus, his cap number goes down enough to tag Vae.  That is the only thing Rodgers agreed to.  What if he tells Vae to play under the tag one year and then they can walk together to their next team? 

If you remember, Rodgers wanted most of all to 'control his destiny' (which is stupid, no one controls their destiny) and now he has that chance all the while sticking it to Gute by stiffing the Packers. He walks after one and the Pack gets a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Just keep Love and see if Rodgers signs a new contract or not.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Worst case scenario:  Rodgers doesn't sign an extension.  They convert his base into bonus, his cap number goes down enough to tag Vae.  That is the only thing Rodgers agreed to.  What if he tells Vae to play under the tag one year and then they can walk together to their next team? 

If you remember, Rodgers wanted most of all to 'control his destiny' (which is stupid, no one controls their destiny) and now he has that chance all the while sticking it to Gute by stiffing the Packers. He walks after one and the Pack gets a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Only thing is that the Packers will not get a comp pick for Rodgers if he left under that situation because the Packers dropped years off of his original contract. The Packers get nothing.  

14 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

If Gute chose this over the Broncos haul, he should be fired, and I mean that as someone who thinks he's an excellent GM currently. Rodgers is signing a 4 year deal, I refuse to believe our staff and FO is that gut-less and stupid to pass on an 8 player haul for 1 freaking year of Aaron Rodgers, unless that year is us winning the SB and Rodgers deciding to retire on top. 

The Love thing is simple, you're all-in and Love provides minimal value towards your goal. If you get offered a top 50 pick, you trade him, if you don't, the minimal value a backup QB brings still outweighs the value of a 3/4 round pick. Thus you keep him another year. There's no way in hell GB offers an extension, and if we did, Love should laugh in Gute's face. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If Gute chose this over the Broncos haul, he should be fired, and I mean that as someone who thinks he's an excellent GM currently. Rodgers is signing a 4 year deal, I refuse to believe our staff and FO is that gut-less and stupid to pass on an 8 player haul for 1 freaking year of Aaron Rodgers, unless that year is us winning the SB and Rodgers deciding to retire on top. 

The Love thing is simple, you're all-in and Love provides minimal value towards your goal. If you get offered a top 50 pick, you trade him, if you don't, the minimal value a backup QB brings still outweighs the value of a 3/4 round pick. Thus you keep him another year. There's no way in hell GB offers an extension, and if we did, Love should laugh in Gute's face. 

Agree with this entirely.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Love thing is simple, you're all-in and Love provides minimal value towards your goal. If you get offered a top 50 pick, you trade him, if you don't, the minimal value a backup QB brings still outweighs the value of a 3/4 round pick. Thus you keep him another year. There's no way in hell GB offers an extension, and if we did, Love should laugh in Gute's face

This assumes Rodgers only tells the truth.  He has apparently agreed to 'work on' an extension/new contract.  Nothing is signed yet.  Do you think Rodgers could get upset at some point in the negotiations and decide NOT to sign any thing further.  Possible. Rodgers has siezed control of his career, what he always wanted.

If any of us thinks they know what 'The complicated fella' is thinking?  That's the only thing laughable right now.

The bolded: you didn't used to post banal remarks like this, you okay?

Edited by Dubz41

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This assumes Rodgers only tells the truth.  He has apparently agreed to 'work on' an extension/new contract.  Nothing is signed yet.  Do you think Rodgers could get upset at some point in the negotiations and decide NOT to sign any thing further.  Possible. Rodgers has siezed control of his career, what he always wanted.

If any of us thinks they know what 'The complicated fella' is thinking?  That's the only thing laughable right now.

Then I go and get me those 3 1sts that the Commanders are offering, and since they're so desperate, I'll get Chase Young or DaRon Payne too. 

Rodgers either signs on the dotted line to be the guy, or he's gone. Absolutely no way in hell I do this next year if I'm a GM with any stones whatsoever. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Gute chose this over the Broncos haul, he should be fired, and I mean that as someone who thinks he's an excellent GM currently. Rodgers is signing a 4 year deal, I refuse to believe our staff and FO is that gut-less and stupid to pass on an 8 player haul for 1 freaking year of Aaron Rodgers.

I doubt Denver had that offer on the table for Rodgers.  Wilson is a long term answer for Denver.  

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I doubt Denver had that offer on the table for Rodgers.  Wilson is a long term answer for Denver.  

We were getting 2 firsts + more picks for Rodgers. There was so much smoke on that, there was fire. Whether or not the 3 players come with is to be debated, but I don't think any of those guys really move the needle anyway, maybe Fant. Wilson is 5 years younger, but I don't think his career lasts as long as Brady, Rodgers, Manning because so much of his game is out of pocket stuff. I think he's got 4-5 years left vs Rodgers 3. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then I go and get me those 3 1sts that the Commanders are offering, and since they're so desperate, I'll get Chase Young or DaRon Payne too. 

Rodgers either signs on the dotted line to be the guy, or he's gone. Absolutely no way in hell I do this next year if I'm a GM with any stones whatsoever. 

Agree with this as well. If the proposed deal is some short term thing - with the wing and a prayer that we'll win the SB in that year - then trade him for future considerations. I honestly cant believe the team would take such a short sighted view......which leads me to doubt they are.

Oh - and if #17 cant live with his #12 - trade his *** as well.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

We were getting 2 firsts + more picks for Rodgers. There was so much smoke on that, there was fire. Whether or not the 3 players come with is to be debated, but I don't think any of those guys really move the needle anyway, maybe Fant. Wilson is 5 years younger, but I don't think his career lasts as long as Brady, Rodgers, Manning because so much of his game is out of pocket stuff. I think he's got 4-5 years left vs Rodgers 3. 

Not only that but he's just not as good as Rodgers. 

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Arizona for Kyler Murray and a 1st. Then flip Murray to Philly for their 3-1st and Hurts. I'm dreaming I know! 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Wilson was the smart play here.  He's been to more Super Bowls, is younger, rarely misses games.  You can lock him in for 5 years.  

Rodgers beyond 2022 is a guess.  

Easy call.

Just now, NFLGURU said:

Wilson was the smart play here.  He's been to more Super Bowls, is younger, rarely misses games.  You can lock him in for 5 years.  

Rodgers beyond 2022 is a guess.  

Easy call.

I think DEN would have taken Rodgers.

• Like 1