Packers should extend Jordan Love

PossibleCabbage

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

FYI, trading Jordan Love this year costs us an extra 4 million over his 3.37 million dollar cap hit this year. Not a brilliant move for a cap strapped team. 

Not sure where you're getting your number.  The Packers save about 94k by trading him, but when you factor in a minimum salary (705k) it actually adds about 611k in salary cap.  For that reason alone, there's no motivation for the Packers to trade him unless the value is there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The next phase will naturally be lots of speculation about trading Love and of course denials that the team is making him available, right up until the day it's announced Love has been traded. The annoying part will be ESPN, Florio, NFLN going back and forth spreading false rumors about what's on the table for Love and the ensuing team denials. Gute will say things like "we're not motivated to trade Jordan" and a bunch of people will overreact to the news, making incog-like statements. It will all be posturing to maintain leverage and get the best deal possible. And then poof, in the blink of an announcement, it will be over. Love be be on another team and Rodgers will have won. Rinse, repeat and draft another one next year or the year after.

Yep sounds about right.  Rodgers already won.  He won today.  Multi year commitment it's over for Love.  Think it's likely we'll get enough to move him.  Saved by a weak QB class and a bunch of desperate teams.  Guessing a 2 and a 4 which would be just fine by me.  We could use some more picks in this draft.  Think it's about 80% chance they move him.  Only reason they wouldn't is because no team ponied up.  In which case we'll hang on to him and use him as our primary back up.  

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is an interesting conversation. If Jordan Love takes an extension for mid-tier back up money, that tell me all I need to know about the young man. Reminds me of the story Tony Romo told about when Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells cornered him before a preseason game and told him they weren't going to let him play unless he signed the piss poor extension they wanted him to sign. Romo was not the guy yet. He told them sit me, I'm not signing until you pay me what I'm worth. 

Moral of the story, if Love and his agent feel he's only worth mid-tier back up money, then that is all he will ever become. 

FYI, trading Jordan Love this year costs us an extra 4 million over his 3.37 million dollar cap hit this year. Not a brilliant move for a cap strapped team. 

FYI trading Jordan Love does not cost us an extra 4m over his 3.37m cap hit. Trading him before June 1 saves us $94k, trading him after June 1 saves us 1.73m

Only cutting him before June 1 (which will never happen) costs us the extra 3.94m

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

This is an interesting conversation. If Jordan Love takes an extension for mid-tier back up money, that tell me all I need to know about the young man. Reminds me of the story Tony Romo told about when Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells cornered him before a preseason game and told him they weren't going to let him play unless he signed the piss poor extension they wanted him to sign. Romo was not the guy yet. He told them sit me, I'm not signing until you pay me what I'm worth. 

Moral of the story, if Love and his agent feel he's only worth mid-tier back up money, then that is all he will ever become. 

You can also read plenty into it if he's somehow content to keep sitting on the bench. A confident competitor would be saying enough is enough after today and be politely asking for a trade. I've already brought this up before and have little doubt these conversations have already been had. It's just one of many subtle aspects that people don't think about until the first shoe drops. If Love was as quiet as a mouse throughout all this, and I'm Gute, I'm very concerned about the drive of the guy I used a 1st round pick on.

Just now, OzPackfan said:

FYI trading Jordan Love does not cost us an extra 4m over his 3.37m cap hit. Trading him before June 1 saves us $94k, trading him after June 1 saves us 1.73m

Only cutting him before June 1 (which will never happen) costs us the extra 3.94m

Math is hard

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why would Jordan Love take a long-term deal?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Why would Jordan Love take a long-term deal?

And why would the Packers offer one? Their current actions clearly indicate they're not seeing enough to follow their original plan with him. An extension for Love seems about as logical as a long term deal with Mason Crosby right now.

It's amazing how many teams could be in the market for a new QB:

Commies
Carolina
Texans
Steelers
Colts
Giants
Eagles
Lions
Seahawks
Bucs
Saints
Falcons

Could add:
Browns
Titans

Available QBs

Watson - maybe
Jimmy G - maybe
Jameis
Trubisky - 👀
Mariota - 👀
4 underwhelming rookie QBs

It's wild.

Could see Love being traded to a team that misses out on one of the top rookies. 

My dream scenario: Packers trade Love+'23 2nd for a team's '23 1st. 

Edited by British

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And why would the Packers offer one? Their current actions clearly indicate they're not seeing enough to follow their original plan with him. An extension for Love seems about as logical as a long term deal with Mason Crosby right now.

I don't think they would.  Or at least not for a while.

Just now, British said:

My dream scenario: Packers trade Love+'23 2nd for a team's 23' 1st. 

That'd be a dream scenario, but if they're going to use Love to move up the board it's probably something like their FRP this year for another team's FRP.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That'd be a dream scenario, but if they're going to use Love to move up the board it's probably something like their FRP this year for another team's FRP.

They could do that. But they might get a better return if they trade him to a team that's just missed out on the 4th rookie QB and is desperate. That moment will likely be after the first round. 

And as a Packers fan, I just want a shot at a potentially high 1st in next year's sexy looking '23 class :)

Edited by British

The Packer absolutely should not trade Jordan Love,   give him a training camp again where he gets most of the snaps under Tom Clements.  You can see where he's at after next season.  You can trade him at this time next year after he develops, or keep him as insurance for Rodgers annual retirement dance.    

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

If Love was as quiet as a mouse throughout all this, and I'm Gute, I'm very concerned about the drive of the guy I used a 1st round pick on.

Love has the same agent as AR, so he knows everything there is to know -  including knowing when to shut your piehole in public.
I don't think we can infer anything from his relative silence -  except that he's a smart guy following good advice.

• Like 1