Where do you see Russell Wilson's level of play now that he's in Denver?

Broncofan

Predict Russell Wilson's level of play now that he's in Denver  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Now that he's in Denver, Russell Wilson is a top ?? QB going forward....

• Top 4 - in with the true elite (Mahomes, Allen, A-Rod etc.)
    • 5-7 range - next tier below the top of the mountain, clearly below, but at elite level (call this the Burrow/Herbert range)
    • 8-10 range - still elite, can win games on his own when called upon, make playoff winning-throws, you can beat the best QB's with these guys (call this the Stafford range)
    • 11-15 range - above average, but is it good enough to get you in true contender range (maybe with a complete team)?
    • 16-20 - below average, declining skills
    • 21+ - washed
  2. 2. How long do you see Wilson playing at his current level for Denver?

Would you guys say he has taken less than a beating than Big Ben did at age 33/34?

Big Ben never ran that often but he still took a hellacious beating behind the line of scrimmage whether they were sacks are after he threw the ball from holding it so long.

Sure Russ has many rush attempts but running out of bounds or sliding also needs to be taken into account. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Because even in his best seasons he had big drop offs later on that undercut them. He was on par with Mahomes some fof that season.... so was Goff. Wilson fell off hard enough that it wasn't even a discussion by the end. By the end Brees had a better argument. Same thing happened with him and Lamar the next year. His two most recent elite seasons he still ended up not stringing together a full great season and had a noticeable black mark that undercut it.

Also, offensively, it's not like Denver is head and shoulders better than Seattle. Denver has more depth at WR, but Seattle had more high end talent. RB is meh and Denver has a line that is spotty at times (probably the primary true advantage over Seattle). So it's hard to see a scenario where he comes out and is a dramatically better player. 

It really depends on how Denver plays him. Russ has always been a high efficiency guy and while he's "carried" the team in more recent years, that's mostly due to the team declining and it hasn't really ended well for Seattle. Russ might just be at his best on a team where he can have a limited snap count and manage things more. 

I could not have said it any better

When people talk about things like top 4 QBs they have to realize that its a year to year proposition.

• Rodgers passer rating ranking was 13, 12, 1, 1 the last 4 years.
  • Brady was 12, 18, 9, and 7 while winning 2 Super Bowls
  • Mahomes was 2, 7, 3, 10 while winning an MVP, playing in 4 AFCCGs, and winning a Super Bowl
  • Wilson was 3, 5, 7, 5

The only one who averages top 5 in rating there is Wilson.

To expand on the problems with SEA’s O scheme and philosophy - Greg Olsen sheds light on how bad it got.   No guarantee that Denver will unlock Wilson’s play to let him cook - but hard not to be optimistic in comparison to his time with Carroll / Schotty & Waldron. 

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Let Russ Cook was huge for a while.

I'm excited to see him in Denver.

It has been clear for a pretty long time now that Pete and his philosophy are not only outdated, but his initial success coincided with having a roster filled with actual Hall of Famers. So, in all these years, we have really only seen (at times prolonged) glimpses of what an unleashed Russ can actually do. It's baffling and insane that we've stuck with Pete and let Russ go, and he's for sure gonna have a whole lot of winning seasons in Denver. I could see him winning MVP with the Broncos in the next 3 years too, I don't think it's far fetched.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, brownie man said:

8-10 

4-5 years

he relies too much on athleticism for me to guess more than 5 years. They need to have somebody developing behind him by that time. 

The question becomes how much does he rely on his athletisism because he has to since their OL has been garbage for the better part of a decade.

If he played with a good pass blocking OL , would he hang in the pocket more or is that just his style to scramble.

I guess we will find ouut.

BTW Denver, now would be a great time to finally really invest some draft picks into OL and learn from SEA mistakes.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The question becomes how much does he rely on his athletisism because he has to since their OL has been garbage for the better part of a decade.

If he played with a good pass blocking OL , would he hang in the pocket more or is that just his style to scramble.

BTW Denver, now would be a great time to finally really invest some draft picks into OL and learn from SEA mistakes.

To be fair they spent a 1st on Bolles, an early 2nd on Risner and Day 2 picks on Meinerz, Cushenberry and spent on FA with Glasgow.   They haven’t really ignored OL.  They just haven’t found any success at the T position other than Bolles, and the IOL guys are all 2nd/3rd year guys except Glasgow.   It’s presently an OL that has a lot of room to grow this year - but does need a RT.   Calvin Anderson as a RFA can’t be the only solution.  

T should always go 3-deep if teams want to seriously contend.   We saw that this year with LAR having Noteboom as their swing T literally saved their playoff run when Whitworth missed time.    But otherwise DEN’s OL had progressed a lot since 2018-9.    And it certainly has been a priority. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I can’t tell if the narrative around Seattle’s OLine is just something that has stuck with people through our Bevell years or if Russell’s camp has just masterfully spun it to be everyone’s fault but his own. 

The guy had Duane Brown on his blindside who is better than anyone the Broncos have. He recently had two talented pass blocking guards in Gabe Jackson and Damien Lewis. Brandon Shell is a better pass pro RT than anyone Denver has.

Seattle has ranked higher than Denver in pass block win rate in both of the last 2 seasons (I haven’t checked beyond that) despite having a QB that relentlessly holds onto the football. 

Seattle has put together an OL that by most standards is league average at worst. 

And yet, despite all of that, Russell STILL is among the league leaders in sacks and hits every year. Does anyone ever stop to wonder why that is? His average time from snap to pass is down there with Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, and Daniel Jones. That is not hyperbole. That is fact. 

The only personnel upgrade Russell is receiving in this move is at RB in Javonte Williams. That’s it. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I can’t tell if the narrative around Seattle’s OLine is just something that has stuck with people through our Bevell years or if Russell’s camp has just masterfully spun it to be everyone’s fault but his own. 

The guy had Duane Brown on his blindside who is better than anyone the Broncos have. He recently had two talented pass blocking guards in Gabe Jackson and Damien Lewis. Brandon Shell is a better pass pro RT than anyone Denver has.

Seattle has ranked higher than Denver in pass block win rate in both of the last 2 seasons (I haven’t checked beyond that) despite having a QB that relentlessly holds onto the football. 

Seattle has put together an OL that by most standards is league average at worst. 

And yet, despite all of that, Russell STILL is among the league leaders in sacks and hits every year. Does anyone ever stop to wonder why that is? His average time from snap to pass is down there with Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, and Daniel Jones. That is not hyperbole. That is fact. 

The only personnel upgrade Russell is receiving in this move is at RB in Javonte Williams. That’s it. 

Albert O is better than Fant