Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

26 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Ground Hog Day, 4 weeks and we're right where I thought we'd be. back to the draft and a QB at #1. paththetic, ironic, funny too-

Wentz succeeding was always a long shot. He's been on a downward spiral for years now and it was worth a shot salvaging him but not at the price we paid. The only positive is he can be cut for nothing in the off-season. I still don't think he's the starter by week 8.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Wentz succeeding was always a long shot. He's been on a downward spiral for years now and it was worth a shot salvaging him but not at the price we paid. The only positive is he can be cut for nothing in the off-season. I still don't think he's the starter by week 8.

I sure hope you’re right, but I doubt we get what we want with Ron & Scotty turning to Howell. I expect Heinicke to be our starting the 2nd half of the year should Wentz be benched.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I sure hope you’re right, but I doubt we get what we want with Ron & Scotty turning to Howell. I expect Heinicke to be our starting the 2nd half of the year should Wentz be benched.

As long as they get Wentz off the field and it doesn't cost us a high second round pick I don't care

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

At least Heiny is fun to watch.usually keeps us hanging around .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

As long as they get Wentz off the field and it doesn't cost us a high second round pick I don't care

The bummer here is that it’s still going to cost us a high 3rd rounder, regardless. Just a staggeringly high price for a reclamation project. You said it best above — worth a shot, but not at that price tag.

In terms of the value of not hitting the condition, as of right now (with us picking top 5), the difference between giving up the 2nd and giving up the 3rd is by itself equivalent to about a late 2nd. That’s the price it would cost to move from 66 to 34, for example. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The bummer here is that it’s still going to cost us a high 3rd rounder, regardless. Just a staggeringly high price for a reclamation project. You said it best above — worth a shot, but not at that price tag.

In terms of the value of not hitting the condition, as of right now (with us picking top 5), the difference between giving up the 2nd and giving up the 3rd is by itself equivalent to about a late 2nd. That’s the price it would cost to move from 66 to 34, for example. 

as others have said . it's bad, but it's not 3 #1s and $242 million for Russell .. 🤗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, if we can’t beat the Bears & Fields next Thursday night, we could be looking at a 1-16 or 2-15 season. I have to say part of me almost wants that bc I think Rivera would be fired & we’d draft the top QB in the draft, Stroud. Him throwing to Terry, Curtis, Jahan, Logan, AG & McKissic would be fun I think.

Happy 4th of July or something along those lines.  

Sadly, I don’t see the team laying down for that kind of season.  They will do enough just to get out of the top 5 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sadly, I don’t see the team laying down for that kind of season.  They will do enough just to get out of the top 5

They always do.

In that sense, Rivera is probably the perfect coach for Snyder. Upside is extremely limited, but that’s not Snyder’s primary concern. He wants someone who isn’t going to bottom out, and the one thing you can say about Rivera is that his teams don’t give up on him. They’ll scratch and claw for those 6 or 7 wins. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

If you have an intelligent owner who isn’t Dan Snyder they’d probably step in during a situation like this. If things get out of hand quickly and the playoffs which are basically not possible at this point with how our division is playing and they keep playing Wentz beyond the 70% threshold everyone involved needs to be fired. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you have an intelligent owner who isn’t Dan Snyder they’d probably step in during a situation like this. If things get out of hand quickly and the playoffs which are basically not possible at this point with how our division is playing and they keep playing Wentz beyond the 70% threshold everyone involved needs to be fired. 

It’s hard to argue with this. 

Ideally, you wouldn’t want to set a hard deadline for when you have to make a long-term decision on Wentz. At least not as early as, say, Week 11. 

But they’re the idiots who agreed to the conditional pick. They set this deadline for themselves, voluntarily tied their own hands. Part of me fears that Rivera will refuse to bench Wentz to save the pick because it’s not the “honorable” thing to do — or that he just won’t value the pick difference enough to do it if Wentz is showing some flashes. 

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s hard to argue with this. 

Ideally, you wouldn’t want to set a hard deadline for when you have to make a long-term decision on Wentz. At least not as early as, say, Week 11. 

But they’re the idiots who agreed to the conditional pick. They set this deadline for themselves, voluntarily tied their own hands. Part of me fears that Rivera will refuse to bench Wentz to save the pick because it’s not the “honorable” thing to do — or that he just won’t value the pick difference enough to do it if Wentz is showing some flashes. 

I mean, if we’re approaching week 10 with a 2-7 record which is very possible they can’t continue playing him. The playoffs are all but over at that point and you can’t commit to him as a long-term solution with what he’ll have to be paid.

And yes, I know I’m mostly on an island here but at what point when the season is all but over do you start seeing what you have in Howell? If you’re picking in the top 5 and Howell plays well do you still take a QB? Obviously it depends on how well he actually plays but ideally you’d at least like to find out because Will Anderson might be available.