2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

So if the team thought hard about putting Banks in last season, it would have been for Brunskill obviously. Since it looks like a lock that Banks will be the starting LG, will it be a three way competition at RG between Brunskill/Moore/McKivitz? Will the team draft another guard for added competition? 

Haberman and Middlekauf speculating that Mack is retiring since Niners or Mack haven't outright stated he's coming back. Mentions Joe Staley situation in 2020 as a precedent

If Mack does retire, C becomes the obvious need...we'll see if they're doing some gamesmanship 

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Haberman and Middlekauf speculating that Mack is retiring since Niners or Mack haven't outright stated he's coming back. Mentions Joe Staley situation in 2020 as a precedent

If Mack does retire, C becomes the obvious need...we'll see if they're doing some gamesmanship 

If so, we should of already reached out to JC tretter....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

If so, we should of already reached out to JC tretter....

I'd love to get Linderbaum on this team. We'd almost certainly have to trade up a ways to get him, but he'd be the pillar for our O-Line for the next 10 years if we landed him. We also know how much Shanahan values centers. 

• Like 3

Trey Sermon looks leaner than he did at the start of last season which is good to see. He's going to have a solid role in this offense with Lance and will be getting a lot more inside zone runs. Still think the team probably adds another back in the late rounds, but one that specializes in catching out of the backfield. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So if the team thought hard about putting Banks in last season, it would have been for Brunskill obviously. Since it looks like a lock that Banks will be the starting LG, will it be a three way competition at RG between Brunskill/Moore/McKivitz? Will the team draft another guard for added competition? 

Yup, I think it sounds like Moore will be given a real chance at RG to start. 

3 hours ago, 9erFreak77 said:

I agree …..carrying Jimmy will be a massive distraction in the locker room.

I couldn't disagree more. Jimmy has always been a consummate professional. None of the players are dumb (I would imagine) and they knew what was happening when Trey was drafted. None of the sportswriters would suggest Jimmy should be the quarterback once Trey starts because they aren't dumb either. Are there going to be players that are Jimmmy's friend that feel bad for him? Sure, but they all know this is a business too where its the job of the scouting department to try and replace them every single year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I could see this particular scenario where he's retiring and has already let them know, but I still think he's coming back. I think its' definitely a one year thing and we have already spent some time on some centers in this draft, so I think it's pretty much 100% that we are going to draft one regardless of whether or not he retires. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could see this particular scenario where he's retiring and has already let them know, but I still think he's coming back. I think its' definitely a one year thing and we have already spent some time on some centers in this draft, so I think it's pretty much 100% that we are going to draft one regardless of whether or not he retires. 

I've had a funny feeling about this all along. This is why I keep harping on signing Tretter. Like I know Mack just got married, but he's had a few months already to make a decision. Heck, during this time, Brady has both retired and unretired LOL. I think he is retiring personally and we need to sign Tretter ASAP and then draft one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

I couldn't disagree more. Jimmy has always been a consummate professional. None of the players are dumb (I would imagine) and they knew what was happening when Trey was drafted. None of the sportswriters would suggest Jimmy should be the quarterback once Trey starts because they aren't dumb either. Are there going to be players that are Jimmmy's friend that feel bad for him? Sure, but they all know this is a business too where its the job of the scouting department to try and replace them every single year. 

Oh, I think that you definitely will get a lot of writers who advocate to go back to Jimmy if Lance struggles out of the gate. The fans will be brutal. It could spill over into the locker room, but it may not. 

Keeping the vet after the keys are given over to the young guy isn't unprecedented (The Bengals did it with Kitna / Palmer I'm pretty sure, and I'm like 100% positive that the Titans did it with Hasselbeck and Locker), but I think it becomes a little more murky when the incumbent QB is not just a bridge guy but rather a competent / average starting NFL QB. If you're losing games and you know Jimmy can win games, the vets may not just sit on their thoughts. Winning cures a lot ills. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've had a funny feeling about this all along. This is why I keep harping on signing Tretter. Like I know Mack just got married, but he's had a few months already to make a decision. Heck, during this time, Brady has both retired and unretired LOL. I think he is retiring personally and we need to sign Tretter ASAP and then draft one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  

The thing is, outside of stumbling into Linderbaum, I can't imagine that we are thinking that we are finding an immediate starter at center and it seems a bit too far to try and disguise any interest in guys in the middle rounds lol. 

If Mack is retiring, I kind of don't get the secrecy in that regard. We can still target Tretter (we don't have to have Mack wait until June to retire as there is a minimal difference between pre and post june 1 retirement; only like 1.2M or something) 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing is, outside of stumbling into Linderbaum, I can't imagine that we are thinking that we are finding an immediate starter at center and it seems a bit too far to try and disguise any interest in guys in the middle rounds lol. 

If Mack is retiring, I kind of don't get the secrecy in that regard. We can still target Tretter (we don't have to have Mack wait until June to retire as there is a minimal difference between pre and post june 1 retirement; only like 1.2M or something) 

It also does not make sense for the team to not give a firm answer on Mack if he already told them he will be back. There is no need to use phrases like "we expect him to return" or "we are hoping he returns." What is the point of saying that if he already has given them the thumbs up?